COLD DARK ROOM

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Lancaster
omg a few weeks ago i was mixing the topsoil in my tortoise enclosure. Note the enclosure it’s outside but “Closed chamber” and a found one inside and got scared.
It's funny how easy they come in. Last year I was surprised by a baby toad. I was ecstatic.

jeneliza

burton michigan
It is the Leprechaun, I tell you!!!. He is playing silly buggers with our posts.
[/QUOTE
In the It’s always SOMETHING Department....bathroom faucet(s) leaking....and dripping down into the garage.....aaaaaaagh!
Well they said buy a house, it will be fun,

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Some seeds do, this is true, green and pole beans do well, I always plant seeds for these, right in the ground, pumpkin, and squash will do okay, but many take to long to grow large enough in time, for our growing season, if I have to use plants from this year , oh well, I done it this way in the past, so I can again, but I did receive some good news, smaller stores are still selling them, because they don't have a garden center, so they don't fall under the order, to close the garden centers, and she didn't name, seeds, just garden centers, so technically there getting under her order, so I may still be able to start my garden from seeds, so there may be a bright side after all
Yea it's watermelon and certain others here but...thank God for the?⛅

jeneliza

burton michigan
Yea it's watermelon and certain others here but...thank God for the?⛅
I was told by the green house nursery, to put mulch down and then garden plastic, and plant them in the ground, though the plastic, but use already started plants, or start indoors first and by the end of summer I would have amazing watermelon, going to try this out, this summer, and see if it keeps the ground warmer, and if I actually get watermelon this year

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Hmmm, not much going on today, Maybe it is still too early in the day for you guys.

It has been slightly overcast here today. And I am at the office again, as I am helping our accounts department to process invoices for payment at the end of the month. Even though it is lock down the accounts still need to be paid.

Have you guys gone insane yet with being stuck at home? If so, pinterest is a good place to go to look for things that you can do around the home. Maybe you can finally use those things that have been sitting in your cupboard for years on end. make something with them and revitalize them. That was what my plant pots were about. I was lucky though that I still had some cement and paint at home. The paint brush that I have is looking the worse for wear, but it is all that I have at the moment and will have to do.

So maybe a little cartoon to cheer you all up:

View attachment 291050
Yep I did...even though I'm about always stuck at home anyway. I've decided to stitch my way out of this with washable masks from my stash.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I was told by the green house nursery, to put mulch down and then garden plastic, and plant them in the ground, though the plastic, but use already started plants, or start indoors first and by the end of summer I would have amazing watermelon, going to try this out, this summer, and see if it keeps the ground warmer, and if I actually get watermelon this year
Good luck. Honey Dew is another that takes a long time. I live around the middle of Ohio and those plants need such a long time...even so I have gotten them both from dried out seeds from dinner. However, I'll bet that nursery's advice would be a better method here also. I would get more.

jeneliza

burton michigan
Good luck. Honey Dew is another that takes a long time. I live around the middle of Ohio and those plants need such a long time...even so I have gotten them both from dried out seeds from dinner. However, I'll bet that nursery's advice would be a better method here also. I would get more.
Yeah I bet it would be the same, there your weather is close to ours, it's warmer than ours in southern Ohio, but I don't know if it gets much warmer than us,

jeneliza

burton michigan
Yeah I bet it would be the same, there your weather is close to ours, it's warmer than ours in southern Ohio, but I don't know if it gets much warmer than us,
Honey dew, and rock melon does okay for me, most years, but there kinda smaller than the ones I see in stores, but mine tend to be sweeter, most times

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
While goofing off in the back garden/woods yesterday, noted this nice big weed that always takes off in Springtime.. nice bright green leaves, flowers. Shallow roots.

View attachment 291051

Did some research, and found it to be “Garlic Mustard”

Scientific Name:
Alliaria petiolata (M. Bieb.) Cavara & Grande

Synonym:
Alliaria officinalis Andrz. ex M. Bieb.

Common Name:
Garlic mustard, hedge garlic, sauce-alone, jack-by-the-hedge, poor man's mustard, jack-in-the-bush, garlic root, garlicwort, mustard root

From The Tort Table
  • Common Name: Garlic Mustard (Jack-by-the-Hedge; Jack by the Hedge)
  • Latin Name: Alliaria petiolata
  • Family Name: Brassicaceae
Contains glucosinolates so only feed small amounts as part of a varied diet. Do not confuse young leaves of Garlic Mustard with those of Winter Heliotrope which has toxic properties.

✅ Please be aware that two or more goitrogenic plants should not be fed in conjunction with each other, and the sum total of goitrogenic foods should not exceed the guideline for a single plant of 'in moderation' (amber-green) or 'sparingly' (amber-red). This will ensure that goitrogenic consumption stays within safe limits.
Yes that’s garlic mustard. We have loads of it growing round here