COLD DARK ROOM

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
Good afternooning all.

It’s been rather chilly here for the last couple of days... we even had frost this morning. It warmed up pretty quickly today so our designated exercise was a bit more comfortable.

Not much to report really. Life ticks on.

There’s someone on Facebook called Aliyu Fahat who wants to join the CDR group, but hasn’t given a posting name. Aliyu if you read this, please message me through TFO so I can see your posting name. Thank you :) No posting name = no entry to the CDR on Facebook :)

Maro2Bear

10 Year Member!
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Some seeds do, this is true, green and pole beans do well, I always plant seeds for these, right in the ground, pumpkin, and squash will do okay, but many take to long to grow large enough in time, for our growing season, if I have to use plants from this year , oh well, I done it this way in the past, so I can again, but I did receive some good news, smaller stores are still selling them, because they don't have a garden center, so they don't fall under the order, to close the garden centers, and she didn't name, seeds, just garden centers, so technically there getting under her order, so I may still be able to start my garden from seeds, so there may be a bright side after all

Still too cold (and snow in parts there) to plant seeds outside, but, yes, you could be sowing some things inside. Watched your Governor this AM .... lots of virus spreading uncontrollably there. Damned if you do, or don’t.
Hang in there...

Maro2Bear

10 Year Member!
While goofing off in the back garden/woods yesterday, noted this nice big weed that always takes off in Springtime.. nice bright green leaves, flowers. Shallow roots.

8FC1411F-0029-4DF8-9710-F46CEACDF4E4.jpeg

Did some research, and found it to be “Garlic Mustard”

Scientific Name:
Alliaria petiolata (M. Bieb.) Cavara & Grande

Synonym:
Alliaria officinalis Andrz. ex M. Bieb.

Common Name:
Garlic mustard, hedge garlic, sauce-alone, jack-by-the-hedge, poor man's mustard, jack-in-the-bush, garlic root, garlicwort, mustard root

From The Tort Table
  • Common Name: Garlic Mustard (Jack-by-the-Hedge; Jack by the Hedge)
  • Latin Name: Alliaria petiolata
  • Family Name: Brassicaceae
Contains glucosinolates so only feed small amounts as part of a varied diet. Do not confuse young leaves of Garlic Mustard with those of Winter Heliotrope which has toxic properties.

✅ Please be aware that two or more goitrogenic plants should not be fed in conjunction with each other, and the sum total of goitrogenic foods should not exceed the guideline for a single plant of 'in moderation' (amber-green) or 'sparingly' (amber-red). This will ensure that goitrogenic consumption stays within safe limits.

Maro2Bear

10 Year Member!
I saw something like that when I was researching the cement. Please share a picture. I would love to see it.

Ok Carol, here are a few snaps. We actually had fun making our containers. We rounded up various plasticy things we had & went to down. A thick paste of “stuff” works best, not too soupy. You have to think reverse image a bit to get patterns. When complete & dry, I drilled drainage holes. (These are about 5 years old now)

For the bird bath, I used one we have and used it as the form. Turned it upside down, covered with a plastic bag, formed the hypertufa over top. I pushed some chicken wire into the material about half way through the process to provide some rigidity. Then finished it up with additional HT.

Some of the Containers
3F6FC121-B2F8-4736-A314-AB81CCC6201C.jpeg

Bird Bath
FC08E1B2-4CAC-4A40-A40E-898B5AC9A15E.jpeg

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Ok Carol, here are a few snaps. We actually had fun making our containers. We rounded up various plasticy things we had & went to down. A thick paste of “stuff” works best, not too soupy. You have to think reverse image a bit to get patterns. When complete & dry, I drilled drainage holes. (These are about 5 years old now)

For the bird bath, I used one we have and used it as the form. Turned it upside down, covered with a plastic bag, formed the hypertufa over top. I pushed some chicken wire into the material about half way through the process to provide some rigidity. Then finished it up with additional HT.

Some of the Containers
View attachment 291081

Bird Bath
View attachment 291082
Oooh I really like that look. I think I should have some peat moss. I will definitely be doing some of those for my next project.

jeneliza

burton michigan
Is it just me or does Ever Clear sound like a weed killer?
Still too cold (and snow in parts there) to plant seeds outside, but, yes, you could be sowing some things inside. Watched your Governor this AM .... lots of virus spreading uncontrollably there. Damned if you do, or don’t.
Hang in there...
Well honestly, I only now one person who had, it and I don't know him well, and both our national guard hospitals are empty, it's mostly in Detroit, Michigan is huge, btw our governor, numbers don't add up, she telling us, that 14%, of our population is African American, okay, but 40%of the people who have died our African American, and have a higher rate of dying, I am no math wiss, but that's less than half, so who are the other 60%who are drying, I have issues with this being turned into a race issue, when 10%are listed as other, and 50%our white, this is why Michigan people are having issues with the governor, one of her press conference.the screen showing the federal numbers was was way to bright to see, but her numbers the screen was turned blue and the lights dimmed, as soon as she went back to the fed number it was super bright again, she's not being honest with the people here,

jeneliza

burton michigan
Hang in there...
We always have to start seeds indoors here, our growing season is to short for outdoor seeds,

Maro2Bear

10 Year Member!

Some of the Containers
View attachment 291081

Bird Bath
View attachment 291082

Here’s the bottom & inside look.

AB4CAB39-7EEC-4E95-876F-535D3732370A.jpeg