Favorites

WhitneyO

Location (City and/or State)
Florence, AL
I was wondering what is everyones favorite tortoise. Please give me a little description why. I am trying to decide my next moves but there is so many out there i dont know where to start. Thanks guys!

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
My ornate box turtles have the best personalities, My Sulcata is very laid back and my leopard's all are very adventurous. Do you have good space? That could really determine what you get next.

Looks like you've been bitten by the tort bug..It never ends now.

edwardbo

5 Year Member
Can't recommend black mountains enough ,they are like having dogs ...you are lucky to live in a climate that is supportive to keeping many sp. .box torts too are engaging and nice sized pets.

WhitneyO

Florence, AL
My ornate box turtles have the best personalities, My Sulcata is very laid back and my leopard's all are very adventurous. Do you have good space? That could really determine what you get next.

Looks like you've been bitten by the tort bug..It never ends now.
Oh great! This could be bad. I thought about box turtles but I know more about tortoises then I do turtles. Care to give some insight.

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
I think both are easy to care for, box turtles will eat just about anything, they pretty much soak themselves but I still do on occasions. I don't worry about them at all like I do my torts, they handle cold and warm temps a lot better, They don't get big at all, Just a few things for starters.... I think the reason I got torts was because I missed my turtles during hibernation, and now I like when they hibernate because it gives me a little break. lol

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
I'd say the tortoises from areas of dense forest. They all seem contemplative and have a wide range of adaptive behaviors. For me it's about how they live in the wild, less so about how they are cared for in captivity, in selecting which species I like the most.

This includes all the Manouria, three species of hingeback, Yellowfoot tortoises, all the indotestudo, and Pyxis planicuada. 11 species in total.

It could be argued there are other forest species, some of the testudo live in Oak Chaparral, and Florida gopher tortoises live in pine forests (at least some populations), the later two groups are not 'dense' forest dwellers though, so IMO are excluded from that as a criteria.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Box turtles were my first chelonian love and will always be special to me, but leopard tortoises are by far my favorite. No two are alike in appearance or personality.

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
Box turtles were my first chelonian love and will always be special to me, but leopard tortoises are by far my favorite. No two are alike in appearance or personality.

I'm seemingly heading down that path too. My Leo's are pretty special

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Oh great! This could be bad. I thought about box turtles but I know more about tortoises then I do turtles. Care to give some insight.
Once again: do you have enough space for two, three torts? These cute little animals need a lot of room.

WhitneyO

Florence, AL
Oh yes I know what you mean. I have researched and researched and talked to so many people that I feel raise these babies right just so I can get as much knowledge on each tortoise I own as possible. I do my homework because as an animal lover my babies come first.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Oh yes I know what you mean. I have researched and researched and talked to so many people that I feel raise these babies right just so I can get as much knowledge on each tortoise I own as possible. I do my homework because as an animal lover my babies come first.
Well done if you've been researching and reading. Would you think of pets other than torts?

WhitneyO

Florence, AL
Well I have two cats and a dog. So I'm not sure what you mean. Are you suggesting I don't get a tortoise.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Well I have two cats and a dog. So I'm not sure what you mean. Are you suggesting I don't get a tortoise.

Oh no, please do not misunderstand me. Sorry about that. I did not know that you had other pets. I was asking whether you'd like to have other pets besides the tort. And you confirmed that you do. ;) Goodness! That must be a lot of hard work, is it not?:rolleyes:

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
My marginals have their own minds , My leopards are great I can watch them for hours , my Russians are cute , the Greeks are different , the desert torts are their pun persons , the Hermanns love to explore everything , my egpyains are little and cute Evan as adults , and the boxy's like to keep to their selves ! So did this help at all ?

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
My marginals have their own minds , My leopards are great I can watch them for hours , my Russians are cute , the Greeks are different , the desert torts are their pun persons , the Hermanns love to explore everything , my egpyains are little and cute Evan as adults , and the boxy's like to keep to their selves ! So did this help at all ?
Which species of the ones you own, are in your opinion the easiest to deal with?