Cherryman304

Location (City and/or State)
Hello this evening hope everyone is doing great. I have been so happy recently as my hatchling I recieved over a week ago has been doing great. He now comes out and stays out. I need more plants for him to hide. Other then that he is eating and pooping. Which I was worried about the latter. The reason I come to you tonight. I was wondering how much and how often do your hatchlings eat? Try to use the size of their head to describe food quantities. Example: "my hatchling eats about three heads at one sitting twice a day every other day." I know alot of this can vary but I am only trying to get an idea. I am grateful for any advice. Thanks in advance.

drew54

Indiana
It's ideal to keep food in at all times. They won't over eat, but they are grazers. This is assuming that you're asking about a tortoise. What species? Do you have pictures?

drew54

Indiana
The photo link is broken. Any idea how to fix that?

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Mine tends to eat off and on all day. I don't really know how much because I don't always see. I just put an amount of food in about as big as her and shell everyday.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
What a little beauty. He looks amazing. Feed him as much good stuff as he will eat! You can always get rid of what is left at the end of the day.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
@Cherryman304 -- not here to bring 'bad' news - however.. what you have is a really beautiful ( before seeing the plastron first ) Northern redfoot ! The picture you have posted is NOT of a Brazilian redfoot . Can you show us his plastron ( bottom ) please?
BTW - Cherryhead is not the name of a different tortoise - it is a marketing name for a redfoot from "Brazil".

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Not sure where " feed them as much as you want.. they know when to stop, etc." came from - but having hatched and 'started' and raised a few - I've found they are opportunistic.. which means they will eat until they pass out.. thinking this is their last meal. [ of course there is no way anyone can prove this.. either way ] I've found it's best to "keep them hungry" than to over-feed them -- see the caresheet.