help now! (prolapse)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK
I just changed the sugar diaper, and it's shrunk! Still couldn't push it in, but I put another diaper on him and hope it shrinks some more.....
That's great news. From the TT article it looks like it will take several changes so hopefully it will shrink with each one and eventually be small enough to do it yourself. He's in good hands.

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
Maggie, If it comes down to it bring him to Eugene to be put down. I used McKenzie Animal Hospital in Springfield and they were wonderful with my little gecko. It was $20 for a 'pocket pet' and they even did an ultrasound to make sure she was gone.

I also got a deal on an impaction surgery from Santa Clara Animal Hospital because they had a reptile vet who wanted the experience so it might be worth calling and telling them you have a rescue who you think you may need to put down unless they want to try to save it.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I just changed the sugar diaper, and it's shrunk! Still couldn't push it in, but I put another diaper on him and hope it shrinks some more.....

You can't push the whole thing all at once. You have to work it back in. Push at one side, easing that side in and work your way around the swelling, tucking it in as you go.

M

Maggie Cummings

He died this morning. I am seriously thru with rescue. Someone else screws up the animal, gives it to me just before it dies, not even enough time to try and save it. His prolapse was gray and yucky looking this morning. Yesterday it was vibrant red. I held him while he died. This sucks.

BYW, computer is screwed up again, all I can get is TFO. I guess that's one good thing....

spud's_mum

United Kingdom
He died this morning. I am seriously thru with rescue. Someone else screws up the animal, gives it to me just before it dies, not even enough time to try and save it. His prolapse was gray and yucky looking this morning. Yesterday it was vibrant red. I held him while he died. This sucks.

BYW, computer is screwed up again, all I can get is TFO. I guess that's one good thing....
I'm so sorry :(

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England

So sorry to hear that Maggie. :(

Big electronic hugs and many sympathies.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK

So sorry to hear that maggie it must be hard on you, but you gave it your best shot. The poor little tort may have needed surgery to stop it happening again which he possibly wouldn't have survived, at least he's not in pain now.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Oh Maggie I am so sorry! Gray color means necrotic bowel. Poor baby. You did EVERYTHING you could. I see your frustration though, and pain. Your work is important. Do something to take care of yourself. Always take care of filling "your bucket" otherwise the "giving well" dries up. Please do something only for Maggie today and in next days until you feel recharged

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas

Ah man. So sorry to hear this. Was this one that you brought back? I still haven't been back down there to see which ones you took. But they held on for quite a while.

Hector108

This sounds horrible, he is in a better place now. I can't imagine how you feel. At least you did everything you could.

M

Maggie Cummings

Ah man. So sorry to hear this. Was this one that you brought back? I still haven't been back down there to see which ones you took. But they held on for quite a while.

Platypus died 2 days after we got home and this was the one with MBD, the bigger one with deformed plastron. He was real skinny and I couldn't get him to eat anything. Then this awful prolapse. I have pictures, but the computer is only half working. The other 3 are eating well and acting normal. One has shell rot, but it's not much and I'm not too concerned. I'm sure these 3 will live and be healthy. Even the little deformed one is eating and fighting for his food he's tough, and they are fun to watch.

DandR

Tortoise Club
Hawaii
I'm so sorry to hear of this. Your work is very inspiring.

M

Maggie Cummings

Thanks, everyone. These were rescues, very deformed, dropped off at Kelly's. So I asked if I could bring some home and make them healthy. So I brought 5, 2 died and 3 are healthy and active and eating good.

Status
Not open for further replies.