POST SALE RESPONSIBILITY

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
I agree. Some people who say they know what they are doing or did everything right, may not have. But, I know that babies that are dry raised may die later. They were not raised right from the beginning. That would be sad if you were doing everything right and the tort died because of something the breeder/seller did wrong. The buyer should be compensated. Guess it would be hard to prove though
that was my main point how do you prove who is wrong

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I have read several recent post, etc. and my e-mails requesting help and information regarding aldabra hatchlings are significantly increasing. It seems many have similar circumstances with after sales help, direction or information from the sources that they purchase the hatchlings from. It seems most are mislead that they are purchasing directly from actual breeders, when in fact they are buying from someone that simply buy and sell hatchlings as a business. It seems many have no or minimal experience with actually working with the species they sell and therefor can not or provide bad information and direction if any help is needed post sale. Any thoughts on this? Here is what we tell people that purchase our hatchlings, we are always reachable directly by phone and will share any experience or information we have based on our three decades of experience. They also always ask what kind of guarantee do we provide. I explain we guanantee that every hatchling leaves our program in optimal health and condition, however once you take possession we have no control with how you keep, feed, etc. and have no responsibility. We have never had any major issues, however we encourage they call if any issues at all. When they pick up the hatchling we now give them a very informative care sheet and spend time explaining many things that we find to be common problems. In some cases i call for the first week or so and check in.

My question to members of this forum is what opinions do you think regarding after purchase liabilities and responsibilities?

View attachment 171845 View attachment 171846

To your first question, I definitely don't like seeing or hearing about people selling tortoises that have no practical experience with the species they're selling or give out bad advice. A lot of the problem lies with the breeders who are unloading their hatchlings to these types of people without any respect for the animals themselves. Admittedly, I wholesale a lot of what I produce, but I sell to people I have a good relationship with and who I know will give good advice and provide good support.

Honestly, I don't think the after purchase responsibilities as a whole never go away, as far as what a breeder should specifically be responsible for will change perhaps. Example, the breeder should provide some sort of assurance that the tortoise sold will behave normally and otherwise be healthy for a day or couple of days after arrival. Young tortoises can turn south quickly, so responsibility for replacement on the breeders part if the tortoise becomes ill or dies should end after at least a day or a short time longer. As far as being available for questions or other help, I don't think that should ever end. So the breeders responsibility shifts to a more customer support type of position.

You're a good example to a lot of breeders by offering many means to contact you, being active on public forums, and following up with post purchase sales to see how things are going. To me that fully satisfies any and all social responsibilities we should expect from breeders in the hobby.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Young tortoises can turn south quickly, so responsibility for replacement on the breeders part if the tortoise becomes ill or dies should end after at least a day or a short time longer.
It is amazing to me that we still see threads titled "failure to thrive syndrome" as if this were a type of disease that is common with young tortoises as apposed to poor keeping knowledge being handed down in the first place by the sellers of hatchling and or young tortoises. If it's just a business and not a passion, why would the sellers really care about after care?