Pretend Chat 2.14

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kingman, Arizona
Ok Newt. Here's some family stuff I don't usually just casually share. My nephew volunteered at the Los angles zoo reptile house as a teen. Over the years, they came to respect his knowledge of reptiles. He is now one of the curators of the LA Zoos reptile house. They send him all over the globe on research expeditions at their expense. He has seen ploughshares in the wild. When Steve Irwin met with his untimely death, they were working on a project together. Tom has met him, and Tom and I joke that we both, Tom and I wish we could grow up to be my nephew. He did this on his own, learning on his own and gaining the respect. He owns a galop. Ask Tom about him. He is a great guy. I respect him. I tell you all this because I want you to understand that you have the right to do yourself and all of us here proud. I've got faith in you.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Instead of constantly asking people for free torts.

russian/sulcata/tortoise

5 Year Member
Northern California, bay area
Ok Newt. Here's some family stuff I don't usually just casually share. My nephew volunteered at the Los angles zoo reptile house as a teen. Over the years, they came to respect his knowledge of reptiles. He is now one of the curators of the LA Zoos reptile house. They send him all over the globe on research expeditions at their expense. He has seen ploughshares in the wild. When Steve Irwin met with his untimely death, they were working on a project together. Tom has met him, and Tom and I joke that we both, Tom and I wish we could grow up to be my nephew. He did this on his own, learning on his own and gaining the respect. He owns a galop. Ask Tom about him. He is a great guy. I respect him. I tell you all this because I want you to understand that you have the right to do yourself and all of us here proud. I've got faith in you.
can i meet your nephew one day? did it cost a lot of money to do what he does?

russian/sulcata/tortoise

5 Year Member
Newt, they pay him. And they pay him well. He met his lovely wife at the zoo as well and now they're looking at maybe buying a large chunk of land for all the tortoises he has. He has a breeding group of 12 leopard tortoises the babcocki (sp) type.
what exactly does he do??!! he gets money and tortoises the 2 best thing in the world!!!

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Middle of nowhere
can i meet your nephew one day? did it cost a lot of money to do what he does?
I am currently going to school in hopes of one day doing something similar. The schooling certainly isn't inexpensive but if you work hard and get that 3.6 gpa you've talked about there are plenty of scholarships to be had. You will especially need to focus on your science classes, and somewhat on math as well.

russian/sulcata/tortoise

5 Year Member
I am currently going to school in hopes of one day doing something similar. The schooling certainly isn't inexpensive but if you work hard and get that 3.6 gpa you've talked about there are plenty of scholarships to be had. You will especially need to focus on your science classes, and somewhat on math as well.
i wont get a 3.6 its impossible:(.

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Middle of nowhere
i wont get a 3.6 its impossible:(.
Certainly is, with that attitude! Even a 3.0 is a good gpa when you are trying to get scholarships. It also helps if you do some extracurricular things because more and more scholarships are focusing more on volunteer work, etc. than actual grades

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
i couldn't read till 7th grade. but now i read at above grade level. its just my hand writing and grammar stuff.
Then how can you ask the question of cost lots money to do volunteering work at the ZOO??

I will not let my kids have 2.5 GPA to do any volunteering work at the zoo. but if the GPA 3.6 will be different story.

I really hope you can "read"...........

Last edited: