Pretend Chat 2.14

M

Maggie Cummings

Oregon's state flower should be dandelion. I always roam my neighborhood picking them for my tortoises only this year I am sickish and can't walk as far as I normally would. Thank goodness there are so many dandelions this year I have not gone farther than a couple of houses and have picked the biggest dandelions I've ever seen and 2 huge bags of them. In fact Bob has eaten so many he's starting to turn up his nose at them! Yvonne sent me home with some cactus pads for my tortoises and I sure wish I had taken more, the animals just love them. The biggest one was so tough I had to slice it open so Bob could bite thru it. Can you imagine something so tough a big Sulcata has trouble eating it??? Oh, and a question...can big tortoises choke on something? Actually get stuck in their throat?

T33's Torts

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Neverland!
I think a tort could get stuff in their throats, but i doubt they could cough to get it up.

T33's Torts

5 Year Member
Neverland!
Part of Tank's beak is jagged: 1397656150016.jpg
And he won't let me file it, so sometimes food gets stuck on it, and I have to help him.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Hi ya Maggie!!! Long time no hear. I think a tortoise could easily get a food item stuck in their throat. Specifically, solid food items. I don't know enough of their physiology to respond to them coughing it up on their own though.

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
Morning all :) shh! I'm at work still :)

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
Good morning everyone.
My son is getting ready to participate in a recital in May and I helped him upload another of his songs to you YouTube channel.
Here is one of the songs.

Elohi(Earth)

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Monica, I'm sure he plays great.
I get my Internet machine from those orbiting satellite thingys. This restricts how much video I watch. I was unable to watch him play.

T33's Torts

5 Year Member
Neverland!
Ken, imagine the feeling you'd get laughing with family and friends watching bull riding and eating bacon. Thats the feeling his playing gives off.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Oregon's state flower should be dandelion. I always roam my neighborhood picking them for my tortoises only this year I am sickish and can't walk as far as I normally would. Thank goodness there are so many dandelions this year I have not gone farther than a couple of houses and have picked the biggest dandelions I've ever seen and 2 huge bags of them. In fact Bob has eaten so many he's starting to turn up his nose at them! Yvonne sent me home with some cactus pads for my tortoises and I sure wish I had taken more, the animals just love them. The biggest one was so tough I had to slice it open so Bob could bite thru it. Can you imagine something so tough a big Sulcata has trouble eating it??? Oh, and a question...can big tortoises choke on something? Actually get stuck in their throat?

@maggie3fan - Well, dummy...the big one was for you to plant! The younger pads were for feeding.

M

Maggie Cummings

Thanks for all the replies everyone. The reason I ask is because a local market supplies me with free produce for my tortoises and most of the time in the stuff is cut off bottoms from a head lettuce. They are almost as big as a 50 sent piece and altho I always take them out sometimes I miss and they are left on the floor of Bob's shed. In my mind I can clearly see one stuck right in his throat. I worry about that lot and try not to miss any.
Yvonne...guess I am a dummy because I was thinking that they wouldn't grow in our climate. Abscess Nose and Queenie loved the smaller more tender ones. It's a great healthy treat for them. I still have 1/2 the big one, should I stick in in some dirt after it dries? Even my male 3-toed liked them

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Maggie, the biggest challenge with cactus growing here is they don't like wet “feet". I've tried and tried to no success. Next I will try 3/4" minus crushed rock mixed with very little top soil in a planter to see if that works.