Pretend Chat 2.14

tortnmutt

Location (City and/or State)
Washington Coast
So I'm not sure how wide spread this news has made it, but we've had a dead whale wash ashore up in these parts. No one is real sure what to do with it. Back in the '70's we had a similar event, but we learned what not to do. Maggie might remember, all others, enjoy the video…

http://m.youtube.com/watch?t=0m43s&v=uD5sPgV61bw

We've had 2 whales wash up this year and multiple seals. super gross. The wild life people come and poke holes in it so that it doesn't explode. I call it a holy whale. The seal didn't have a head and had a wooden stake through it. I didn't know there were vampire seals... Do you think they sparkle? (Twilight joke. har har har)

tortnmutt

Washington Coast
So I'm not sure how wide spread this news has made it, but we've had a dead whale wash ashore up in these parts. No one is real sure what to do with it. Back in the '70's we had a similar event, but we learned what not to do. Maggie might remember, all others, enjoy the video…

http://m.youtube.com/watch?t=0m43s&v=uD5sPgV61bw

It's raining whales!
Hallejulah!
I'm gonna go out
I'm gonna let myself get
Absolutley soaking wet
In BLUBBER!

Sorry guys, I went a little heavy on the coffee this morning.

M

Maggie Cummings

Tiffany...you let him eat those bottom rounds? If I miss one I always find it in Bob's eating spot. He won't eat them.

Ken, I have only lived here for 8 years. But I do remember an awful lot of whales beaching here, and I do know about that latest one.
I am too stupid to think of planting it in a pot. Great idea and I will do that.
I loved seeing those pictures of Bob, Ken...thanks for posting them...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm sorry, Maggie...I thought when I was cutting them for you that you had asked for an older one to plant. My mistake.

StarSapphire22

5 Year Member
Fargo, ND
Hello everyone! Sorry it's been a while. Life has been crazy here, but I think things are finally (mostly) under control. Poor Littlefoot hasn't been quite so spoiled the last few months, time to fix that! :)

Hope everyone is doing well...anyone get any new tort friends while I was gone? :D

Sent from my RM-927_nam_vzw_100 using Tapatalk

Ashes

5 Year Member
Iowa
Hi star, I'm Ashley!! Newish. Have a 3ish month old RF named Little Dude!!! Nice to meet you!
ImageUploadedByTortForum1397668753.613270.jpg

StarSapphire22

5 Year Member
Fargo, ND
Hi Ashley! Little Dude is cute! Look at that smile! I bet he's excited about those strawberries. :) Nice to meet you both! :)

Ashes

5 Year Member
Iowa
That was his first strawberry experience! :) I think he still prefers cantaloupe... Haha.

StarSapphire22

5 Year Member
Fargo, ND
I have a 8.5 month old Hermann's who goes bonkers for pumpkin and little tomatoes. He rarely gets them, but boy does he come running when he does!

Can you guys believe he's almost 9 months already?! He's getting so big, so fast! :(

Ashes

5 Year Member
Iowa
I've had my little guy for a month and THAT has flown! I can't imagine 9!

He won't eat pumpkin... Tried to when I was trying to get him to poop, but he was NOT interested... :)

StarSapphire22

5 Year Member
Fargo, ND
Mine wouldn't touch mazuri for a while so I mixed a bit of pureed pumpkin the moistened, mushed up pellets. Worked like a charm. Eventually weaned him off it and now his primary diet is moistened mazuri mixed with rehydrated dried herbs and weeds. It worked well for our cold North Dakota winters...Buying fresh greens all the time just wasn't economical for one itty bitty guy. Excited to be able to grow him some fresh stuff now so he'll stop murdering his enclosure plants. :)

tortnmutt

Washington Coast
My RT won't touch mazuri with a 10 foot pole, I even soaked it in cucumber juice!!. He has got to be the pickiest eater EVER! I know it's not good because it has no nutritional value but I cracked today and gave him iceberg lettuce because he hadn't eaten in 4 days. At least it had his supplements on it. He loves cucumbers but you're only supposed to give those on occasions. He sleeps all the time. I have to wake him up to eat. Anyone have ideas? His basking temp is around 100 degrees, in his log hide it's mid 70's, with lights off at night and the temp gets down to upper 60's.

I know this isn't an "off topic" chat but Ken is like the RT master.

Ashes

5 Year Member
Iowa
Ashley you've only had him a month? Seems like longer!!
It DOES seem like longer - but we've come so far in that month! I'm so glad he's finally eating and pooping on a regular basis! :)

Mine will eat Mazuri when he won't eat anything else, but I only give it to him maybe once or twice a week - otherwise he gets spring greens, fruit, and soon a grazing tortoise seed mix and cactus pads. :D I have weeds in the yard that I'm figuring out what they are to see if they're edible for him - so I'll be feeding them to him if they are! And also dandelions soon!

As far as him not eating - how old is he? Mine wouldn't eat for weeks but I chalked it up to stress with the changes. And mine is NEVER awake and moving around unless it's just after I put him back in after a soak and supper. I heard they sleep most of the time for the first year or so? However, I am NOT a russian expert at all - all my research is on redfoots for now. :) Hopefully you get your answer quickly!!

tortnmutt

Washington Coast
It DOES seem like longer - but we've come so far in that month! I'm so glad he's finally eating and pooping on a regular basis! :)

Mine will eat Mazuri when he won't eat anything else, but I only give it to him maybe once or twice a week - otherwise he gets spring greens, fruit, and soon a grazing tortoise seed mix and cactus pads. :D I have weeds in the yard that I'm figuring out what they are to see if they're edible for him - so I'll be feeding them to him if they are! And also dandelions soon!

As far as him not eating - how old is he? Mine wouldn't eat for weeks but I chalked it up to stress with the changes. And mine is NEVER awake and moving around unless it's just after I put him back in after a soak and supper. I heard they sleep most of the time for the first year or so? However, I am NOT a russian expert at all - all my research is on redfoots for now. :) Hopefully you get your answer quickly!!

Shelldon pretty much laughed in my face when I put dandelion flowers in there. I posted a photo of him when I first got him and Tom and Ken both commented that he was well into adulthood and probably wild caught.

Ashes

5 Year Member
Iowa
Shelldon pretty much laughed in my face when I put dandelion flowers in there. I posted a photo of him when I first got him and Tom and Ken both commented that he was well into adulthood and probably wild caught.
HE DOESN'T LIKE DANDELIONS?!?!?!