Pretend Chat 2.14

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
Will is now on his way home, and it is a bit of a sad day for me. He took the Manouria emys phayrei tortoises home with him. I still have the emys emys, but the phayrei were favorites of mine. So I kept this year's baby.

Here's a picture of what he did for me this week-end:

View attachment 151014

Tomorrow I'll call the electrician and get the wire installed and hooked up. Then there's a big backfill job in my future!

William also planted my Madagascar tree in the new greenhouse. It had gotten so big and so heavy that I couldn't move it around anymore. So now it's planted in the ground.

View attachment 151015

He took all the babies except for the desert tortoise and Texas tortoise babies. (Well, and the little Manouria) It's going to seem strange not having all those babies to feed. Plus, with the two large Manouria gone, my feed bill will be considerably lower.

Now I can concentrate all my time on bringing the plants in before the first frost.

Oh, I forgot to mention the night box. In the second picture, disregard the blue tarp. I had that hanging across the ceiling to help shade the greenhouse a bit. The night box William build is at the back of the greenhouse. It's quite nice, and contains three infra red heat panels. It's very well-insulated. I doubt they will be able to use it in the summer, but for winter it's going to be great!\

William also put handles on the roof panels so I can reach them to prop them open in the heat of the day. It's so handy having a tortoise person around. I may consider moving house to SoCal just be be nearer to him.
Southern California is very nice

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
A lot more people could help you if you moved to So Cal. That would be awesome!!!

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
fair warning yvonne if you were closer I might be there every weekend :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Well, it's something to think about. I'd have to be able to sell my house and buy one using the same amount of money, and the taxes, etc. would have to be comparable to what I'm paying now. I'm not totally turned off by the idea, and if a situation arose that was doable, I'd give it serious consideration.

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
Today I went out with my friend who also very much likes Halloween. Well one thing lead to another and she bought me a cheap fake mustache because I said I'd totally just casually wear it for the drive home... Well on the ride we forgot I had it on and she asked to stop at McDonald's...and we ordered went through the drive thru and remembered I had it on...I wanted to casually walk into my house in it after so I couldn't take it off, long story short I left quite a story for the worker to remember.
1444011778840.jpg

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
Today I went out with my friend who also very much likes Halloween. Well one thing lead to another and she bought me a cheap fake mustache because I said I'd totally just casually wear it for the drive home... Well on the ride we forgot I had it on and she asked to stop at McDonald's...and we ordered went through the drive thru and remembered I had it on...I wanted to casually walk into my house in it after so I couldn't take it off, long story short I left quite a story for the worker to remember.
View attachment 151064
Love it

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I had W. cheese soup for supper. So good.

What does the W stand for? I've never had cheese soup, but it really doesn't sound very appetizing. I ate a half a box of Coffee Nips...does that count for anything?

Tomorrow I'm going to clean out the bigger Manourias yard now that they're gone, and get it ready to move the smaller Manouria over into it, the emys emys. That frees up a side of their shed that's closer to the RF yard. Then I'll clean up the emys emys side of the shed and fix it so the RFs can go in there for the winter. The shed is divided in half inside, so the tortoise wouldn't have contact with each other. I usually have to bring the RFs up to the car port for the winter and they stay in cinderblock housing. This will be so much better!

Another thing I have to do tomorrow is go around the property and find all the tools Will and I used and gather them up and put them away. Most of them are in the wheelbarrow, but I have a very bad habit of just putting a tool down when I'm finished with it.

'Night all. Pleasant dreams!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
New day starting here. Hope it is a good one for you, especially for Mike who hates Mondays.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
View attachment 151064

You look good in one

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
The housing market in Texas is way cheaper than California Yvonne . You could buy twice the house in Texas . Good morning TFO.