Pretend Chat 2.14

the_newzie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
las vegas
Lol what projects?
1) Refurbishing an old, beat up, rusted Tonka Truck into a Batman themed Tonka Truck for my unborn child (because nothing says good parenting like large , heavy, metal toys with sharp edges), 2) An addition to Steve's indoor winter enclosure (nothing huge, just another 4'x4' section because I feel he needs more room to roam over the winter even though we're hoping this will be his final indoor winter), 3) Headboard for master bedroom (because my wife told me we needed one) and 4) Rebuilding a few old Schwinns I found on Craigslist (because I like old bicycles). Hoping this will keep me busy through initial cravings.

the_newzie

5 Year Member
las vegas
Initial cravings?
Cravings as a result of gradually cutting down to zero cigarettes and then the first 3-5 days after stopping are the worst. So the more I have to concentrate on the better. Idle hands doing the devils work and whatnot.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

Looks like he's giving you the stink eye!

Afternoon TFO ! How's is everyone ? Can't wait for the weekend .

Silly boy! You've just had a week-end.

So in order to keep myself busy while trying to stop smoking, it appears that I may have started a few too many projects this weekend. Now on to finishing them 1 by 1, in the cold, in the dark, after work. I am so not good at planning:confused:...
Anyone have any experience restoring old Tonka Trucks?

I'm real good at not finishing a project before I start a new one too, however, I must admit, I've never thought about restoring a toy.

Had a raspberry with white chocolate chunks scone for my snack.

Speaking of White Chocolate, Walmart grocery store had a can of white chocolate cocoa mix, but not any of the brands previously mentioned here. I didn't care for it. But it was "White Chocolate Mocha Hot cocoa mix". I think it was the mocha part I didn't care for.

Today is National Fast Food Day

***Yvonne claps her hands loudly to gain attention and yells, "Hey David!!! Cameron is trying to take away your job from you!"***

So you might remember that a few days ago I mentioned that I finally broke down and built a nice fire in the wood stove. Here's a reminder to all of you to be sure to check that there's nothing sitting on the top of the wood stove that doesn't belong there.

Misty has several frisbee-like things that I got out of the corn flakes box. They're made of nylon fabric stretched and sewed onto a wire ring. She loves them and always brings me one when I'm on the computer. I toss it for her and she brings it back. Well, evidently I tossed one that landed on the wood stove behind the tea kettle, so I didn't see it. That nylon melted and is stuck to the top of the wood stove and now every time I make a new fire, the smell is refreshed and sent throughout the house. I'm trying to remember to get the putty scraper and scrape it all off next time the stove is cold. I guess I'll have to write myself a note.

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ

I'm real good at not finishing a project before I start a new one too, however, I must admit, I've never thought about restoring a toy.

Speaking of White Chocolate, Walmart grocery store had a can of white chocolate cocoa mix, but not any of the brands previously mentioned here. I didn't care for it. But it was "White Chocolate Mocha Hot cocoa mix". I think it was the mocha part I didn't care for.

***Yvonne claps her hands loudly to gain attention and yells, "Hey David!!! Cameron is trying to take away your job from you!"***

So you might remember that a few days ago I mentioned that I finally broke down and built a nice fire in the wood stove. Here's a reminder to all of you to be sure to check that there's nothing sitting on the top of the wood stove that doesn't belong there.

Misty has several frisbee-like things that I got out of the corn flakes box. They're made of nylon fabric stretched and sewed onto a wire ring. She loves them and always brings me one when I'm on the computer. I toss it for her and she brings it back. Well, evidently I tossed one that landed on the wood stove behind the tea kettle, so I didn't see it. That nylon melted and is stuck to the top of the wood stove and now every time I make a new fire, the smell is refreshed and sent throughout the house. I'm trying to remember to get the putty scraper and scrape it all off next time the stove is cold. I guess I'll have to write myself a note.
I'm getting the stink eye because I haven't brought her something to eat yet :p

the_newzie

5 Year Member
las vegas
I hadn't either until I was in an antique store staring at a rusted out relic from my childhood. But there I was, so I googled tonka truck restoration, saw there was a good couple videos documenting the process and asked myself "Why not give it a try? How much work can it possibly be? What can possibly go wrong?" :(

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I hadn't either until I was in an antique store staring at a rusted out relic from my childhood. But there I was, so I googled tonka truck restoration, saw there was a good couple videos documenting the process and asked myself "Why not give it a try? How much work can it possibly be? What can possibly go wrong?" :(

Yeah, famous last words.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
It does make me sad to think about my kids being grown! My son is getting ready to turn 12 and time is flying by!
Here's another job they did that day. They painted some wood for our small trailer. We chose our cities sport color green.
View attachment 155825
Don't be sad that they are getting grown up ! Grand children are a lot more fun then children ! I only had 2 children but I got 4 grandkids that think grandpa Turtle is great ! :) life as only just beginning!

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club

Nope I had to work ! This weekend is Tortoise shed weekend !

the_newzie

5 Year Member
las vegas
Are tortoise sheds just for non-brumating torts or can I add that to my project list?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Thanks boss! Now I only need to convince my wife that a shed is exactly what our backyard needs... LOL:D

I actually have five tortoise sheds around my property. Not a good selling point if I ever put the house on the market!

the_newzie

5 Year Member
las vegas
I actually have five tortoise sheds around my property. Not a good selling point if I ever put the house on the market!
Wow, I envy your acreage! If I had 5 sheds, I wouldn't have a backyard, I'd have a pool surrounded by sheds! LOL.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth

In other news, the McRib challenge is back.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I like the McRib sandwich, but never heard of the challenge. What is it?