Pretend Chat 2.14

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Luke: Was a real nice day here. How about your Christmas?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Well, back to the normal routine. Leaves, leaves, leaves! I have them mostly raked up into piles, now I just have to cart them all around to the box turtle yards and spread them out.

This week's weather is going to be low '50s, high '40s for day time and low 30s for night time. The orange growing farmers have been running their wind machines the past week nights and I still hear them now at 8a. Beats me how a wind machine can keep the orange trees from freezing when wind makes the temperature lower than it really is. Wind chill factor anyone?

I've got one real old cat, Little Brother, who is pretty skinny, drools and has what looks like a tumor on his gums around a lower canine tooth. My daughter keeps after me to take him to the vet and have him euthanized so he doesn't have to endure the cold winter. I hate playing god, though, so I put it off. Little Brother has his routine. During the day he lays on the roof (if the sun is out) usually on a solar panel, soaking up the sun. Then in the evening when I do my evening chores, I feed the cats some canned cat food. I leave the Aldabran tortoises' shed door open, but later just after dark, I go back out and make sure Little Brother is in the Aldabran shed, and I close the shed door. There's a cat bed on a shelf in that shed, plus there's an open bag of shavings on a shelf, and I've seen the cat in both those sleeping places, but the preferred sleeping spot is in the tort table under the black light.
Little Brother 3-18-14.jpg Little Brother 4-16-13.jpg Little Brother 5-8-16.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I just wanted to share Cowboy Cyrus's picture with you all. Cyrus is really into anything horsey - rodeo on TV, horse figurines, etc. Last year he wouldn't take off his cowboy hat, but because they won't allow him to wear it in pre-school, he's sort of gotten out of the habit of wearing it now. So for Christmas, Santa brought him a new shirt and a belt:

Cyrus Cowboy 12-25-16.JPG

(Does anyone recognize that zoned-out-in-front-of-the-TV look?)

theguy67

10 Year Member!
It was great. Yours?

Mine was good. Relaxing...Today the festivities continue as we go to visit more family.

Its been a nice 75 the past few days, with the lows in the 50s-60s. I started on the yearling outdoor pen this morning. Started laying limestone.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I have a tom, Catus, who has some sort of mouth issue (drools), but he's going to have to be knocked out to even get near his mouth. I have him antibiotic this week and he does seem better, so maybe I will get lucky and get him to having no problem so I can wait til next year on him.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Mine was good. Relaxing...Today the festivities continue as we go to visit more family.

Its been a nice 75 the past few days, with the lows in the 50s-60s. I started on the yearling outdoor pen this morning. Started laying limestone.

I have a couple of 4 year old Texas tortoises that aren't quite big enough to go play with the big guys, but are getting too big to be in an indoor habitat. So I've been toying with the idea of a "yearling outdoor pen" for them too. But there's just too much clean-up and everyday stuff that gets in the way.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I have a tom, Catus, who has some sort of mouth issue (drools), but he's going to have to be knocked out to even get near his mouth. I have him antibiotic this week and he does seem better, so maybe I will get lucky and get him to having no problem so I can wait til next year on him.

Hopefully it's just bad teeth and not something worse. Little Brother drooled for a couple years before I could notice the big swelling around his canine tooth.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I took all the babies out of their enclosures and put them to soak - several yearling or two year old box turtles in one enclosure, about 6 hatchling box turtles in another enclosure, two 4 year old Texans and two two year old deserts.

So, while they were soaking, I brought out their food and water dishes to sanitize them and when I picked up the waterer in the enclosure the young box turtles were in it was just INFESTED with springtails underneath. The dark brown substrate was actually white because there were so many bugs.

It was a good time to take the tub outside, while the inhabitants were soaking, so I did. Then I added new potting soil and orchid bark and brought it back inside. I got it all set up with clean waterer, hiding places and feeders, then set the box turtles back inside. Stupid me! *Yvonne slaps self on forehead* I didn't think to rinse off the turtles under the faucet, and there are springtails walking on their backs. So it won't be too much longer before the enclosure is infested once again!

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
I'd take the springtails over the million sugar ants I'm fighting right now.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'd take the springtails over the million sugar ants I'm fighting right now.

I had ants in my leopard shed's tort table. I couldn't see where they were coming in. I removed everything from inside the table, washed the inside of the table with vinegar and water, let it dry then sprayed all around the inside with Orange Guard. Next I put down a layer of diatomaceous earth and then the plastic film liner, new substrate, etc. I have a little shelf up at the back edge of the table with a few potted plants on the shelf, so I placed three Terro Ant Baits on the shelf. I'm happy to say I haven't seen anymore ants in there.

theguy67

10 Year Member!
I have a couple of 4 year old Texas tortoises that aren't quite big enough to go play with the big guys, but are getting too big to be in an indoor habitat. So I've been toying with the idea of a "yearling outdoor pen" for them too. But there's just too much clean-up and everyday stuff that gets in the way.

Yeah. I have some yearling redfoots that are almost 4 inches. I also have some leftover limestone and mortar that I am sectioning off the back wall , inside the adults' pen, with. It will also give me somewhere to plant the more fragile plants.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I took all the babies out of their enclosures and put them to soak - several yearling or two year old box turtles in one enclosure, about 6 hatchling box turtles in another enclosure, two 4 year old Texans and two two year old deserts.

So, while they were soaking, I brought out their food and water dishes to sanitize them and when I picked up the waterer in the enclosure the young box turtles were in it was just INFESTED with springtails underneath. The dark brown substrate was actually white because there were so many bugs.

It was a good time to take the tub outside, while the inhabitants were soaking, so I did. Then I added new potting soil and orchid bark and brought it back inside. I got it all set up with clean waterer, hiding places and feeders, then set the box turtles back inside. Stupid me! *Yvonne slaps self on forehead* I didn't think to rinse off the turtles under the faucet, and there are springtails walking on their backs. So it won't be too much longer before the enclosure is infested once again!

lol sorry

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
@Yvonne G - If I could buy Terro by the gallon I would. It's saved the day 100 times. I currently have the tortoises locked in the bathroom on puppy pads until I can sort it all out. Looks like I'm going to have to pay for dirt since the ground is frozen here. It's funny that they love the tortoise enclosures, but the bearded dragon who is a PIG and leaves food scraps all over never has an issue.

The BF joked that we just need a bucket of house geckos to release inside. I doubt they would last long with the cat though, haha.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
@Yvonne G - If I could buy Terro by the gallon I would. It's saved the day 100 times. I currently have the tortoises locked in the bathroom on puppy pads until I can sort it all out. Looks like I'm going to have to pay for dirt since the ground is frozen here. It's funny that they love the tortoise enclosures, but the bearded dragon who is a PIG and leaves food scraps all over never has an issue.

The BF joked that we just need a bucket of house geckos to release inside. I doubt they would last long with the cat though, haha.

I knew a guy here who bought some sort of lizard (he bought several of them) that he turned loose in his house to feast on whatever bugs he had living there. He said after about a week he never saw a lizard again.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Does anyone know what this quarter moon key up above the numbers pad is used for:

keyboard.jpg