Pretend Chat 2.14

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Not much going on here this a.m. It's only 7:30a and I'm already finished reading all the new posts. But it's still too cold to go outside and take care of my animal duties. NO!!! HOLD ME BACK! Please don't make me go out there in that frost covered wonderland!

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
San Jose CA
Not much going on here this a.m. It's only 7:30a and I'm already finished reading all the new posts. But it's still too cold to go outside and take care of my animal duties. NO!!! HOLD ME BACK! Please don't make me go out there in that frost covered wonderland!
I'm waking up to a 36 F temperature. It is sunny but cold~~:(:(:(

theguy67

10 Year Member!
Good morning all! I placed some more stone today, slowly making progress on the yearling pen.

theguy67

10 Year Member!
Its a little messy but I'm working on cleaning it up. Its going to be 3 -4 stones high.

Any ideas for a cover?IMG_2638.JPG

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
Its a little messy but I'm working on cleaning it up. Its going to be 3 -4 stones high.

Any ideas for a cover?View attachment 195790

Is this just for outside time?
Do you have many predators?
I wonder if you could install some sort of canopy at a slant to hide them from hawks.
Not sure if you have cats, squirrels etc. or maybe bird netting stapled to some 2x1's to tack up and weight on the bottom so you could just lift it to get them out.
Just ideas.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Good morning all! I placed some more stone today, slowly making progress on the yearling pen.

What are you worried about (the cover)? None of my enclosures are covered, and when I set the baby tubs outside, I don't cover them either.

theguy67

10 Year Member!
Is this just for outside time?
Do you have many predators?
I wonder if you could install some sort of canopy at a slant to hide them from hawks.
Not sure if you have cats, squirrels etc. or maybe bird netting stapled to some 2x1's to tack up and weight on the bottom so you could just lift it to get them out.
Just ideas.

The pic doesn't show everything, but it is inside of the adults' pen. You can see the gate on the right. Once the bamboo grows in it will have cover. I still have 1 plant that i need to put back there. I thought about putting down some sort of livestock wire, sandwiched between the top 2 stones, but 'm currently looking for easier alternatives if possible. I'd prefer it to be secure enough so they can stay outside 24/7 during the warm months so it will probably require the livestock wire route.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Get some 1x1s or 2x2s and make a frame that fits the shape of the enclosure and staple either hardware cloth or pond netting onto it.

theguy67

10 Year Member!
What are you worried about (the cover)? None of my enclosures are covered, and when I set the baby tubs outside, I don't cover them either.

I'm not really "worried", per se, but I'm looking at long term occupancy. To where I don't have to lose sleep if I leave them out at night.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm not really "worried", per se, but I'm looking at long term occupancy. To where I don't have to lose sleep if I leave them out at night.

I see. I don't leave my babies out at night, so I understand.

theguy67

10 Year Member!
I see. I don't leave my babies out at night, so I understand.

Right. In the beginning it will only be used during the day, and I'll see how nights go. If its not advised, I'll wait until they are bigger. If I only leave them out during the day, I wouldn't put a permanent cover on it, but I may wind up doing it anyway so the enclosure is more versatile and secure.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Right. In the beginning it will only be used during the day, and I'll see how nights go. If its not advised, I'll wait until they are bigger. If I only leave them out during the day, I wouldn't put a permanent cover on it, but I may wind up doing it anyway so the enclosure is more versatile and secure.

Is that a metal building at the back? Can you screw in hinges there? If so, you can hinge the cover on that wall, then put a secure stake in the ground in front of the habitat and connect the lid to that stake with a hook or something critters can't open.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Misty is telling me that it's lunchtime. So I'll see you all later.

theguy67

10 Year Member!
Is that a metal building at the back? Can you screw in hinges there? If so, you can hinge the cover on that wall, then put a secure stake in the ground in front of the habitat and connect the lid to that stake with a hook or something critters can't open.

Yes. The metal building is my old "reptile room" which has served as storage for a few years (I'm in the process of reclaiming it lol). It also has a section extended in the front that has a dirt floor and several windows inside where the torts stay during the winter. They have access to it in the summer too by a tortoise door on the other side.

I do like the idea of a hinged top. Unfortunately plants will be growing through the wire. Primarily the bamboo. So IF I do put a cover on, I will be making about 3 small doors afew few feet apart. I think I know how to make it work, but was hoping there would be an easier way (there rarely is). Thanks for the tips!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...

*shoves the whimp out, laughing all the way*