Pretend Chat 2.14

M

Maggie Cummings

Once you get them, they are really hard to get rid of. Check your walls to make sure there aren't any worms on them. Once we bought a sack of rice that had moths. For about 3 years later, I kept finding moths or worms.

Are they little moths some times called Millers? If you have stored seed, chicken or house birds, they get in the seed and multiply. If you have seed look and see if there's webs in the seed. If so, that's where they are growing.

M

Maggie Cummings

Cold, Cold, Way too cold......:mad::mad::(:(

Heck, I'm used to snow or ice, and I have to say when I got on the train in Albany I got cold and was cold the whole time I was in Fresno. The train about froze me out. Glad I had a blanket. Thanks for that suggestion Sarah.

Last edited by a moderator:
M

Maggie Cummings

Well, looks like my neighbor is forcing me to the hospital. I fell while running for the train last night and scraped both knees (big deal) but my right knee is all swollen today and I can't put any weight on it. So continue on, I'm outa here

M

Maggie Cummings

Well, back to the normal routine. Leaves, leaves, leaves! I have them mostly raked up into piles, now I just have to cart them all around to the box turtle yards and spread them out.

This week's weather is going to be low '50s, high '40s for day time and low 30s for night time. The orange growing farmers have been running their wind machines the past week nights and I still hear them now at 8a. Beats me how a wind machine can keep the orange trees from freezing when wind makes the temperature lower than it really is. Wind chill factor anyone?

I've got one real old cat, Little Brother, who is pretty skinny, drools and has what looks like a tumor on his gums around a lower canine tooth. My daughter keeps after me to take him to the vet and have him euthanized so he doesn't have to endure the cold winter. I hate playing god, though, so I put it off. Little Brother has his routine. During the day he lays on the roof (if the sun is out) usually on a solar panel, soaking up the sun. Then in the evening when I do my evening chores, I feed the cats some canned cat food. I leave the Aldabran tortoises' shed door open, but later just after dark, I go back out and make sure Little Brother is in the Aldabran shed, and I close the shed door. There's a cat bed on a shelf in that shed, plus there's an open bag of shavings on a shelf, and I've seen the cat in both those sleeping places, but the preferred sleeping spot is in the tort table under the black light.
View attachment 195704 View attachment 195705 View attachment 195706

Don't you even think of euthanasia. When it's time for him to die, he'll do it on his own.

Good morning all. I just popped in for a moment, leaving now

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
Well, looks like my neighbor is forcing me to the hospital. I fell while running for the train last night and scraped both knees (big deal) but my right knee is all swollen today and I can't put any weight on it. So continue on, I'm outa here
That sounds painful:( I hope you are fixed quickly.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Look and see whats under the carpet. You could get rid of it and have wood floors, that would be awesome. I am guessing you got a house while I was gone?

No, she had an appointment to look at a house whose rent was about $100 cheaper than what she pays now. When she got there there were a few other people there with appointments to see the same house. She didn't even go inside, just looked in and realized it was a pit.

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
No, she had an appointment to look at a house whose rent was about $100 cheaper than what she pays now. When she got there there were a few other people there with appointments to see the same house. She didn't even go inside, just looked in and realized it was a pit.

Yvonne nailed it. It was DISGUSTING and likely uninhabitable and people were still clamoring to try to rent it. The landlord was deceitful and I left feeling dejected and and hopeless.

This housing hunt is having a really negative effect on my mental and emotional health. Getting my hopes up over and over just to be let down again has made 2016 a miserable year. Not only do I feel trapped in the rental we were supposed to move out of by mid-November, but I can't sleep and spend all of my time working to try to save money for a down payment on a house. There's no room for us here and our friend wants our house back and there's no where to go.

People keep throwing empty encouraging words at us like, "You'll find the one" and reminding me that, yes, it could be worse. Just what I want to think about right now.

I'm going to go pout somewhere else, no use bringing you all down with me. There's work to be done.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yvonne nailed it. It was DISGUSTING and likely uninhabitable and people were still clamoring to try to rent it. The landlord was deceitful and I left feeling dejected and and hopeless.

This housing hunt is having a really negative effect on my mental and emotional health. Getting my hopes up over and over just to be let down again has made 2016 a miserable year. Not only do I feel trapped in the rental we were supposed to move out of by mid-November, but I can't sleep and spend all of my time working to try to save money for a down payment on a house. There's no room for us here and our friend wants our house back and there's no where to go.

People keep throwing empty encouraging words at us like, "You'll find the one" and reminding me that, yes, it could be worse. Just what I want to think about right now.

I'm going to go pout somewhere else, no use bringing you all down with me. There's work to be done.

My husband was a 'searcher.' When he was house hunting, it didn't do for him to just look at the ads. He spent days and most of his time off from work, just driving around looking at neighborhoods. We bought two houses (at different times in our lives) that way. We never saw them advertised, but we saw the 'for sale' sign in the yard in front of the house. So maybe you'll get lucky and find the 'for rent' sign. Start driving around.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Man I'm getting old . My youngest son just turned 14 today . Seems like yesterday I was watching Toy Story with him .

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
My husband was a 'searcher.' When he was house hunting, it didn't do for him to just look at the ads. He spent days and most of his time off from work, just driving around looking at neighborhoods. We bought two houses (at different times in our lives) that way. We never saw them advertised, but we saw the 'for sale' sign in the yard in front of the house. So maybe you'll get lucky and find the 'for rent' sign. Start driving around.

We've been driving and walking around. We also have 2 realtors working for us, someone watching house auctions, foreclosure lists from our mortgage lender. I'm subscribed to a dozen rental and real estate websites. I just look like a s***** person to rent to since I'm self employed with a herd of pets (who came to me as I was finalizing paperwork on the house we were buying) and an bf with no real reportable income for the last 2 years. I have AMAZING credit, I have modest savings, but the nuances of being a small business means that I report my income to look like I take in the least amount of money I can since I turn so much of it over to the IRS. This looks like poo to a mortgage lender.

I wish I could go back to Spokane, but with the boyfriend having young children it just isn't an option.

Sorry for going all 'Debbie Downer' on you guys, but I've been holding everything in for a long time and it sort of word-vomited all out. I'm not looking for pity. I appreciate the sympathetic ear (or if you aren't sympathetic just let me be blissfully ignorant).

Here's to 2017 hopefully being less of a b****

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California

Eventually you'll find the right one, probably when you least expect it. When I was young, I was looking for an apartment in San Francisco. I went to one that was a rathole and there was a line of people to see it. The toilet looked like it hadn't been flushed in years. One of the other lookers said they would fight me for the apartment. I said "you can have it!" That night I dreamed of the perfect apartment. A few days later, I found it. I swear it was just like my dream! The landlady got several applications but accepted mine. I guess she liked me or maybe she believed my dream story.

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
Are they little moths some times called Millers? If you have stored seed, chicken or house birds, they get in the seed and multiply. If you have seed look and see if there's webs in the seed. If so, that's where they are growing.
I think they were these: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indian_mealmoth
Funny thing is we never had them when I had pet birds. I'm positive they came in the large bag of rice we bought from the Asian grocery store. Once you get them, they get into everything, so you can't keep any cereal, rice or flour around without sealing it in heavy duty plastic containers. The worms can crawl quite a ways. We found some in our bedroom, which is a long ways from the kitchen.

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
I hope you get better soon. I fell once running for a bus in San Francisco. I injured my arm but never went to the doctor. That arm bothered me off and on for years. It's a good thing you are getting it looked at.

M

Maggie Cummings

That sounds painful:( I hope you are fixed quickly.

I hate ER here so I refused to go. I just fell down, not the first time won't be the last. Wish I shoulda sued Amtrak, probably get a lot of money. But I fall a lot and we all know s*it happens. If I would have had a red cap as promised. That would have helped

M

Maggie Cummings

She had some sort of special ticket that gave her more space because she's a crotchety, feeble, infirm old lady.

OK #1....I am not a crotchety, feeble, infirm old lady, I could beat your *** with no trouble. I am just disappointed in life and don't like people. I am NOT crotchety, I'm grumpy, I'm NOT infirm, I'm tough; I'm crazy for Christ sake(or is that sake the drink?)It's not right to be mean to crazy people. I even think it's against the law. So I will take my grumpiness somewhere else. It's nice to see all of you be so glad I am back. It warms the cockels of my black heart. Really...not
and his name is Jordan not Danny and his house is a 1924 Craftsman Cottage
I'm gonna go take some drugs for this headache...

M

Maggie Cummings

I hope you get better soon. I fell once running for a bus in San Francisco. I injured my arm but never went to the doctor. That arm bothered me off and on for years. It's a good thing you are getting it looked at.

You live in the city?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
OK #1....I am not a crotchety, feeble, infirm old lady, I could beat your *** with no trouble. I am just disappointed in life and don't like people. I am NOT crotchety, I'm grumpy, I'm NOT infirm, I'm tough; I'm crazy for Christ sake(or is that sake the drink?)It's not right to be mean to crazy people. I even think it's against the law. So I will take my grumpiness somewhere else. It's nice to see all of you be so glad I am back. It warms the cockels of my black heart. Really...not
and his name is Jordan not Danny and his house is a 1924 Craftsman Cottage
I'm gonna go take some drugs for this headache...

See? Crotchety!

(And I've called him Danny for his whole life. I'm not changing now.)