Pretend Chat 2.14

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
Well, there's her and me......there's no point in having a halfassed junky car. I may as well go all the way. I'm not going to drive a car missing paint and no matching wheels, bad brakes, (think a pad is broken) I have loved this car for 28 years. My family hates it. (Y don't care). I guess it's time I look for assisted living place and get rid of car and animals.

stop with the crazy talk!

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
My theory is that I had to have been someone terrible in a past life. Like serial killer/evil dictator status. Now I have a massive karmic deficit. I tried to see if anyone died the year I was born who fit the bill and didn't come up with much. The only quirky one was L. Ron Hubbard. :p

Right now we are in limbo. No way to fix all the tires, no way to fix the transmission in a timely manner and still no word on when we can start the REAL process of buying the house that we are in love with and on the very cusp of being able to afford. Sitting in limbo is really distressing while we are on high alert about the vandalism and on a ramen diet to build up our funds.

Hurry up and WAIT is the worst!

Facebook thinks my uterus should be for rent, it keeps asking me to sign up to be a surrogate. Apparently I'm in 'prime' incubator range. That along with tons of 'baby' things. Ummm...no thanks. It's admirable, but the idea of any pregnancy freaks me out. No kiddos for me.

might be a way to raise money for a house. lol

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
The 7 day forecast calls for night time temps to be 50 or above every night, so it's time to unblock the doors to the hibernaculums. Tomorrow I'll be getting up the three CDTs that are in freezers in the old house. This adds more to the tortoises looking for homes. I placed the sulcata and I have two CDTs besides the hibernating ones left to go. Oh, plus two male Russians. I got an awful lot of responses to my ad on Facebook (there's a for sale spot for my area code and that's where I put the ad), but even though I said in the ad to call me, everyone said, "I messaged you." Well, dang it, I have all that crap turned off. I don't want messages. I wanted them to call me. So I returned the few calls I got and placed the sulcata and two CDTs that way. I think tomorrow I'll put up an ad on craigslist. But yard inspections are getting me down.

But you did get the first bunch out to new homes? so congrats on that part atleast.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Good morning gang! It's cold and windy again today. Both the wind gusts and the temps are in the low 30s.

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
Cooooofffffeeeee.......
morning-zombies.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
But you did get the first bunch out to new homes? so congrats on that part atleast.

Not really. I have two male Russians and two 9 year old desert tortoises left out of that bunch. This a.m. I got the three rescue CDTs out of their hibernation box, and they're a whole lot smaller than I remembered. I think she told me they were about 10 years old, but memory is failing. I wrote about them here when I got them and remarked they were so small for their age. I soaked them and put them out into their quarantine yard. They made it through the winter in fine shape. One of them has an extra scute, so I'm keeping that one. The smallest one is promised, that leaves only one to find a home for.

It's a damn good thing I opened my desert tortoises' shelter this a.m. One of them had tried to climb the wood that's blocking the door and I found her on her back. She was cold, naturally, but still alive, thank goodness. No telling how long she had been on her back.

Jeff was suppose to be home today, but now are looking at tomorrow unless the winter storm keeps him locked down.

Doctor's appointments?

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
Looks like coffee zombies to me. Thank goodness I've never acquired that habit!

I like coffee, but caffeine destroys me. I get all jumpy and jittery so I do decaf or half caf.

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
Guys...I have eggs and I'm completely unprepared. Anyone had luck leaving them in the dirt and monitoring temps and humidity in a closed chamber type setting? I posted an actual thread about incubation and moving and whatnot, but I wouldn't mind your casual pretend chat style 2 cents.
1489439442362.jpg
1489439525671.jpg

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
I have a really nice incubator....ya want me to bring it to ya?

We might be able to catch lunch or something this week - what is your availability?

Currently I just have them in the dirt and they are sitting around 89 degrees and 80% humidity so I think they are okay where they are sitting right now. I'm debating just leaving them in the dirt and seeing what happens since we will be moving and having a bunch of stuff going on.

Has anyone had luck with that? How warm is too warm?

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
That's pretty much how mother nature does it . That's how I hatched my little red foot by accident.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I am waiting to get in for my chest xray. In order to go on a shot, they have to be sure I don't have tb. :rolleyes:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I am waiting to get in for my chest xray. In order to go on a shot, they have to be sure I don't have tb. :rolleyes:

"In order to go on a shot"????? I don't understand.

I took in 2017 rescue #9 this a.m.

It's a 10 year old CDT, and he is just absolutely perfect as far as shape goes. He's small for 10, but he was kept with an adult male, so I think that explains his size. He's a beauty. The only thing is the larger male was tested for micoplasma and tested positive. This guy, Herman, doesn't have symptoms, but chances are good he also has it now.

Herman has had an ongoing eye problem (looks fine right now, though)so I won't be able to adopt him out for a while until I'm sure the eye is ok.

2017 Rescue #9 a.jpg 2017 Rescue #9 b.jpg

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
For my eczema, it has gone balistic again. They want me to go on a twice monthly shot. Had to get blood work done and a chest xray. Once they decide IF I can go on the shot, then they have to find a way for me to afford it.