Pretend Chat 2.14

Momof4

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
San Diego
"In order to go on a shot"????? I don't understand.

I took in 2017 rescue #9 this a.m.

It's a 10 year old CDT, and he is just absolutely perfect as far as shape goes. He's small for 10, but he was kept with an adult male, so I think that explains his size. He's a beauty. The only thing is the larger male was tested for micoplasma and tested positive. This guy, Herman, doesn't have symptoms, but chances are good he also has it now.

Herman has had an ongoing eye problem (looks fine right now, though)so I won't be able to adopt him out for a while until I'm sure the eye is ok.

View attachment 202095 View attachment 202096

What's microplasma?

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I guess I really should have called what I have psoriasis, not eczema. ;)

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
Can anyone ID this guy with this pic? My friend found it on her horse ranch.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
What's microplasma?

I spelled it wrong. It's mycoplasma. It's a bad disease that is killing off the native desert tortoises:

"Tortoise mycoplasmosis is one of the most extensively characterized infectious diseases of chelonians. A 1989 outbreak of upper respiratory tract disease (URTD) in free-ranging Agassiz's desert tortoises (Gopherus agassizii) brought together an investigative team of researchers, diagnosticians, pathologists, immunologists and clinicians from multiple institutions and agencies. Electron microscopic studies of affected tortoises revealed a microorganism in close association with the nasal mucosa that subsequently was identified as a new species, Mycoplasma agassizii. Over the next 24 years, a second causative agent, Mycoplasma testudineum, was discovered, the geographic distribution and host range of tortoise mycoplasmosis were expanded, diagnostic tests were developed and refined for antibody and pathogen detection, transmission studies confirmed the pathogenicity of the original M. agassizii isolate, clinical (and subclinical) disease and laboratory abnormalities were characterized, many extrinsic and predisposing factors were found to play a role in morbidity and mortality associated with mycoplasmal infection, and social behavior was implicated in disease transmission.

The translation of scientific research into management decisions has sometimes led to undesirable outcomes, such as euthanasia of clinically healthy tortoises. In this article, we review and assess current research on tortoise mycoplasmosis, arguably the most important chronic infectious disease of wild and captive North American and European tortoises, and update the implications for management and conservation of tortoises in the wild."

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Doesn't sound fun at all? Does it hurt or itch?

Some of both. Not a comfortable thing. I just learned the other day at the Dr appt that it can also cause fluid build ups, which can hurt the heart and/or make joints hurt. The Dr thinks some of my pains may lesson or even dispear, if I get on this shot program.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

My best guess is Actinemys marmorata - western pond turtle. They're protected. Best thing to do with it is try to find a water source nearby and put him back (a ponding basin, a creek, etc.)

This time of year the males wander away from their water area searching for females, and the females are out looking for good nesting sites.

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
My best guess is Actinemys marmorata - western pond turtle. They're protected. Best thing to do with it is try to find a water source nearby and put him back (a ponding basin, a creek, etc.)

This time of year the males wander away from their water area searching for females, and the females are out looking for good nesting sites.

Ugh! She stuck in the garden because there's lots to eat there!
I tried to get better pics but she didn't take any.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Not happening........

One of my Chinese VISA has expired, it will take a week to receive a new one. So, I'm stranded here. It is my mistake, I didn't pay enough attention. My bad~~:(:(