Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Jacqui!

So hard to read about the very, very cold weather hitting the eastern portion of the States. My grand daughter is in New Jersey and she tells me she's more or less house bound until the weather lets up.

We're having a very mild weather pattern. I haven't made a fire in the wood stove for several days. Love this weather. Now if only I had some ambition to go outside and do something.

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
Hi Jacqui!

So hard to read about the very, very cold weather hitting the eastern portion of the States. My grand daughter is in New Jersey and she tells me she's more or less house bound until the weather lets up.

We're having a very mild weather pattern. I haven't made a fire in the wood stove for several days. Love this weather. Now if only I had some ambition to go outside and do something.
Yes, it's been very warm. I was too hot all day yesterday. Yesterday I was ambitious. Today I'm lazy.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
He made those tracks on Friday and he didn't want to go back in his house, I thought he was getting cold so I got him to go in and about 10 minutes later he was back out playing in the snow. I got him to go back in and locked him in.. It was very windy and the temp was 19 F when he came out the first time. I kept him locked in until this morning. He came out for a while and is locked in his house again until tomorrow. We have a chance of rain, freezing rain sleet or snow this evening. so he is better off in his house and I don't have to worry about him getting chilled while playing out in the yard. I sure named him right, those tracks in the pic are in an area less than half of his yard and he covers the entire yard when he comes out.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
He made those tracks on Friday and he didn't want to go back in his house, I thought he was getting cold so I got him to go in and about 10 minutes later he was back out playing in the snow. I got him to go back in and locked him in.. It was very windy and the temp was 19 F when he came out the first time. I kept him locked in until this morning. He came out for a while and is locked in his house again until tomorrow. We have a chance of rain, freezing rain sleet or snow this evening. so he is better off in his house and I don't have to worry about him getting chilled while playing out in the yard. I sure named him right, those tracks in the pic are in an area less than half of his yard and he covers the entire yard when he comes out.
Silly creature! When it's cold Dudley sits in the doorway looking out for about 10 minutes then he goes back inside and stays in.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Was another beautiful day here. Going to be in the 50s the next two days, then Wednesday night (my weekend) it goes cold and snowy again.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Good morning!

I bought a couple of lamb steaks on clearance. Anybody in here fix lamb? As a kid, for a treat, my Mom would get lamb and broil it. Loved the garlic and how the fat would crisp up and be yummy. Wondering how I should prepare these. Almost got a lamb roast, but decided against that one today.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Good morning!

I bought a couple of lamb steaks on clearance. Anybody in here fix lamb? As a kid, for a treat, my Mom would get lamb and broil it. Loved the garlic and how the fat would crisp up and be yummy. Wondering how I should prepare these. Almost got a lamb roast, but decided against that one today.
I don't like the way lamb smells when cooking, so I don't buy it.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hoo dogies, is it ever cold out there this a.m. I haven't made a fire in the wood stove for several days because we're having a spell of pretty nice weather. My house is well-insulated, so even though the nights outside are in the 30s, the house really doesn't cool down that much inside. But today it's raining and very windy. The ambient temp isn't all that cold, but it's a pretty cold wind a-blowin'. So I came in from my a.m. chores and built a fire. My fingers are too stiff to type properly. Even so, it's still only 65F in here. That's not too cold. Can't wait for the fire to get going so I can stand there and warm up my fingers!

Misty finally went outside with me, so her morning ablutions have been taken care of. It's interesting that all my fair weather cats have found a dry place to hide. I keep the door to the old, vacant house on the back of my property propped open so the cats can go in there out of the weather, but for some reason, they don't. Maybe there's a ghost in there.

@Jacqui - Did you cook your lamb yet? Here's a nice recipe for lamb steak:

1. Season the lamb with the salt, pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder.
  2. Place a cast-iron, stainless steel, or other heavy-bottomed frying pan on a burner over medium-high heat. Add the oil and allow to become very hot (a drop of water should sizzle).
  3. Lay the seasoned lamb in the skillet and let sear or 2 minutes to develop a golden-brown exterior.
  4. Flip the lamb over and sear the other side for an additional 2 minutes.
  5. Reduce the heat to medium and return the steaks to the first side.
  6. Cook the lamb for 4-6 more minutes, occasionally spooning some of the pan juices over the top of the lamb to add more flavor and to expedite cooking.
  7. Flip the lamb steaks over again and continue to pan-fry until they reach an internal temperature of 145 degrees, about 4 minutes.
  8. Insert an instant-read thermometer into the middle of the thickest part to check the temperature.
  9. Transfer the lamb steaks from the pan and onto plates or a cutting board. Let rest for 5 minutes before serving so the internal juices settle.
  10. To serve, garnish with the fresh thyme.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
I know it’s pretty cold, right?
My husband is there now and the factory’s are freezing and the hallways and dining area are cold too! They only heat the rooms!!
Yes. Bare minimum, all the time. I'm in Shenzhen which is not so bad, but if I remembered, he is in some place near Shanghai area, right? It is in and out of freezing everyday. Very tough....

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Going to be almost 60 here today, tomorrow in the 20s. Yes, white stuff is coming back, too.