Status
Not open for further replies.

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
CT
emysemys said:
It was the cutest thing...

My daughter has a very talkative and obnoxious African grey parrot. Yesterday she filled the cap off her bottle of Dr. Pepper with a little bit of Dr. Pepper and gave it to the bird. He took it in his foot and drank the soda. Then he dipped the cap into his water bowl and proceeded to drink that way. He did this several times. I guess he was wondering why it didn't taste the same.

The stories she tells me about this bird have me laughing all the time. I'd love to have one. But I'm afraid I don't have the time to spend on a needy bird.

That is do cute! I would love to see that!

pugsandkids

10 Year Member!
Cute critter!

African Grey's are amazing birds, I knew one that could tell you what you were eating for breakfast.
"Oatmeal huh?"
"Toast huh?"
But then you had to share ;)

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
A friend has a large parrot that will pester you almost violently if you were eating chicken unless you shared.

theelectraco

5 Year Member
Thalatte said:
It is completely normal for chinchillas to be clingy. They are a very social species. To help you can try to get her attached to a dog (if your dog is extremely calm and lazy) or a teddy bear that smells like you (sleep with it every few days). Otherwise look into gettin 2more to give them a small herd to supplement their social needs.
I know one guy that used to carry his chinchilla everywhere in a little pouch under his shirt. Took it to school and everything. It just slept all day and was perfectly happy.
The only one I had was for a very short time and I trained it to become attached to my extremely lazy and extremely old dog. So chili would just sleep in a little bed next to the near comatose dog all day.

OK now that I have said my peice and all my work is done I am going to bed. Night

I'm fine with her being cuddly and attached. Just didn't realize they got THAT attached. I'm gunna order a XL Sugar Glider pouch that she can sleep in and see how she likes it :)

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
We once had a flying squirrel that was a lot of fun. Friends of ours were logging some trees at their place and when they were going through the branches, they found an odd, large ball of moss. When they opened it up, they discovered the baby. They called us and we took it in. His name was Chip. I hollowed out a short log for him to bed down in. They are nocturnal. At night, he would do laps in his cage. Farris wheel type laps, not horizontal race track type laps. They jump/glide not fly. If he was on your shoulder, you could only wear one layer, and he would climb all over you. He was a hoot. On your shoulder, walking past the coat-hat rack, he would launch himself over to it and have a fun game of you can't catch me.

theelectraco

5 Year Member
Sounds like a fun pet but I don't know if I could handle that long term lol. Seems like a sugar glider almost which are too high maintenance for me.

theelectraco

5 Year Member
Thalatte said:
The flying squirrel sounds fun! I kinda want a ferret as they are cute!

Ferrets are great. They are like kittens 24/7. Once you pass the nipping and potty training stages they really are great pets.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Some men pay good money for the musk cologne extracted by the ferret. Seems some women like the smell. Only the males have the musk glands.

theelectraco

5 Year Member
As kits, they have a stronger odor. They poop a TON when they are babies, so if you don't scoop their box every few hrs it gets strong. When they get a lil older they don't poop as much and you can keep the odor down. Also washing all bedding and hammocks weekly helps. They only smell if you are lazy and don't clean up after them. But they do have a slight odor when u smell them but nothing overwhelming.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
It helps, but its sorta like removing claws from a cat. People do it, but that don't make it right,ya know?

Thalatte

5 Year Member
Well the cats claws are integrated into the bone so it can hurt them significantly to remove them. I would think descending would be more like spaying at neutering an animal. Kinda removing a part that will not hurt them or have lasting effects.

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
I don't know anything about birds, ferrets, chinchillas or flying squirrels. You guy's amaze me with the different critters you keep!!

I have a mystery goo on the knee of my jeans. It is the height of my 2 year old so I am actually scared to investigate further.

Thalatte

5 Year Member
DON'T TOUCH IT!!! Just rchange the jeans and immediately wash...
Kids always have the weirdest stuff on their faces and hands and it usually isn't sanitary...

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
CtTortoiseMom said:
I don't know anything about birds, ferrets, chinchillas or flying squirrels. You guy's amaze me with the different critters you keep!!

I have a mystery goo on the knee of my jeans. It is the height of my 2 year old so I am actually scared to investigate further.

My kids were taught to wipe their hands off at the cuff of my jeans so I would never have to touch mystery goo.

theelectraco

5 Year Member
Thalatte said:
What about getting scent glands removed. Does that help?

90% of ferrets are come from Marshall Farms, and have already been fixed and descented at 6 weeks old. It really does help with keeping the odor down, especially for males, but it isn't absolutely necessary and it definately isn't the safest to do those surgeries that early. Ferrets really do need fixed tho, especially females. If they aren't bred when the female is in heat the female will likely die.

Status
Not open for further replies.