Turt☆

Location (City and/or State)
Los Angeles
Hello all,
This past Saturday, 11-24-18 I rescued a baby sulcata that my dog had caught in the backyard. I live in southern california, specifically los angeles county...when I found the little guy he was covered in dirt and hiding as far into his shell as possible. Anyways, I cleaned him up checking for any damage to the shell which thankfully there was none, and set up a temporary enclosure with a MVB, hide, food and water. Turt is semi active, but only if I wake him up and take out of the hide. I'm working on getting a therm/hygrometer for the cage ASAP. I ordered coco coir and forest moss coming tomorrow which I will set up in a glass terrarium to help with humidity and heat retention, as well as setting up a humid hide. Since rescuing turt on Saturday, he has yet to eat anything I offer him. On Sunday, I put him out in the grass letting him wander and saw him eat a few clovers but not much. I did the same thing Monday, showed no interest. Today again I try feeding him rep-cal pellets, cilantro, and dandelion weeds/flower, no interest. One last thing to note, the bottom of his shell gives slightly with some pressure, however I cant supplement any calcium if I cant get him to eat! Any ideas what I can offer my new tiny friend that he wont be able to resist? I have spent hours on these threads learning all I can, I want turt to be happy and healthy, any help is greatly appreciated! :)

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
You're sure it's a Sulcata and not a Desert tortoise?
There may be laws against keeping an indigenous tortoise and they look very similar when young. And if it is very young, a semi soft plastron would be normal.

Turt☆

Los Angeles
You're sure it's a Sulcata and not a Desert tortoise?
There may be laws against keeping an indigenous tortoise and they look very similar when young. And if it is very young, a semi soft plastron would be normal.
Almost positive it's a sulcata. The shell and spurred legs seem to be consistent with sulcata hatchling pictures I have seen. Here are pics for reference20181127_175715.jpg 20181127_175916.jpg

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Youngstown, Ohio
Looks like it still has the egg tooth! Must be a newborn, I would look out for more. As for eating, he is probably scared at this time. It may take a few days for him to start eating. Keep offering food. What are your temps? If the temps are not right, that could be another factor.
Welcome to the forum.

Karenp

Michigan/SW Florida
What an ADORABLE little guy! Kudos to you for saving him! (& for spending hours on this forum learning how to take care of him). Wish there were more out there like you!

Turt☆

Los Angeles
Looks like it still has the egg tooth! Must be a newborn, I would look out for more. As for eating, he is probably scared at this time. It may take a few days for him to start eating. Keep offering food. What are your temps? If the temps are not right, that could be another factor.
Welcome to the forum.
Cheryl, thanks for the response! The thermometer and hygrometer should arrive this Friday, along with a ceramic heating bulb. According to my thermostat the room temps around mid 70's day time to low 70's at night which is obviously cooler than what is ideal. I will keep updating turt the torts progress :)

What an ADORABLE little guy! Kudos to you for saving him! (& for spending hours on this forum learning how to take care of him). Wish there were more out there like you!
Karenp, thanks a bunch! I'm just a little bit obsessed with the little one lol. And the egg tooth hmm? I guess that would explain the discolored mouth then

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Soak him in warm water for 15 or 20 minutes daily and keep his enclosure a warm and humid 80-85F all over the whole enclosure. They usually start eating after being kept in this environment after about two or three days. He's scared, so don't hover over him when you want him to eat, and try placing the food right at the mouth of the cave.

If you aren't providing any auxiliary heat, your room temp of 70-75 isn't nearly warm enough.

Turt☆

Los Angeles
Soak him in warm water for 15 or 20 minutes daily and keep his enclosure a warm and humid 80-85F all over the whole enclosure. They usually start eating after being kept in this environment after about two or three days. He's scared, so don't hover over him when you want him to eat, and try placing the food right at the mouth of the cave.

If you aren't providing any auxiliary heat, your room temp of 70-75 isn't nearly warm enough.

Yeah I didnt think so, I'll have a complete set up this weekend, but until Friday he just has a 100w powersun bulb keeping him warm. Would one ceramamic heating bulb be sufficient for night time if temps are 80+? Is one of those blue/red night lights necessary?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The easiest way to keep the enclosure warm is to cover it. Zoo Med makes a great lamp stand, so then you hang the lights/heat and drape a shower curtain or some such over the light stand.

Karenp

Michigan/SW Florida
Hello all,
This past Saturday, 11-24-18 I rescued a baby sulcata that my dog had caught in the backyard. I live in southern california, specifically los angeles county...when I found the little guy he was covered in dirt and hiding as far into his shell as possible. Anyways, I cleaned him up checking for any damage to the shell which thankfully there was none, and set up a temporary enclosure with a MVB, hide, food and water. Turt is semi active, but only if I wake him up and take out of the hide. I'm working on getting a therm/hygrometer for the cage ASAP. I ordered coco coir and forest moss coming tomorrow which I will set up in a glass terrarium to help with humidity and heat retention, as well as setting up a humid hide. Since rescuing turt on Saturday, he has yet to eat anything I offer him. On Sunday, I put him out in the grass letting him wander and saw him eat a few clovers but not much. I did the same thing Monday, showed no interest. Today again I try feeding him rep-cal pellets, cilantro, and dandelion weeds/flower, no interest. One last thing to note, the bottom of his shell gives slightly with some pressure, however I cant supplement any calcium if I cant get him to eat! Any ideas what I can offer my new tiny friend that he wont be able to resist? I have spent hours on these threads learning all I can, I want turt to be happy and healthy, any help is greatly appreciated! :)
Sorry I can't offer any advice on how to care for your little one (I don't own any myself). But I was thinking that since this thread was started in the Tortoise Diet and Food section, you might want to also share your story in the Introduction section. I'm sure many members would like to read about the tiny little miracle your dog found! Also, the Enclosure & Sulcata sections would be great places to ask for advice regarding your temporary home until your supplies arrive on Friday. Keep up the good work & I hope you are thoroughly enjoying this new addition to your family. (Wish my dog found one!!)

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Sorry I can't offer any advice on how to care for your little one (I don't own any myself). But I was thinking that since this thread was started in the Tortoise Diet and Food section, you might want to also share your story in the Introduction section. I'm sure many members would like to read about the tiny little miracle your dog found! Also, the Enclosure & Sulcata sections would be great places to ask for advice regarding your temporary home until your supplies arrive on Friday. Keep up the good work & I hope you are thoroughly enjoying this new addition to your family. (Wish my dog found one!!)
Not necessary. I've moved it to the Sulcata section.

Turt☆

Los Angeles
Thank you all for the help! I came home from the gym this morning and caught turt picking at the food I provided!! He also is more active today...such a relief that he already doing better considering I haven't set up a more permanent enclosure. Here is a picture of the current set up.20181127_175350.jpg

Turt☆

Los Angeles
Update on turt, I got a scale on 1/14/19 and weighed in 47 grams at I'm estimating about 2 months old, 3 days later 1/17/19 weighing in at a whopping 52 grams! Shell growth is nice and shiny smooth :D