Asacalhoun

Location (City and/or State)
TX
Hello, I noticed recently that my male sulcata, age 7ish, had this small hole? in his shell. He is behaving normally and has been growing a lot if that’s a factor. He doesn’t react at all when I touch it and it doesn’t seem to go very deep. Just want to make sure it isn’t something I need to be concerned about or address. Thank you for any help or advice! IMG_6020.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_6019.jpeg
    IMG_6019.jpeg
    390.6 KB · Views: 1

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
That sort of thing is pretty normal. Be sure you are adding humidity to the night box, and don't use heat lamps or CHEs over this big guy anymore. You need other heating strategies for larger tortoises.

Asacalhoun

TX
That sort of thing is pretty normal. Be sure you are adding humidity to the night box, and don't use heat lamps or CHEs over this big guy anymore. You need other heating strategies for larger tortoises.
He doesn’t have a heat lamp, just uvb right now and a heater for the winter that isn’t in use currently. Is it from being too dry?Will it go away/fill in at some point?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
He doesn’t have a heat lamp, just uvb right now and a heater for the winter that isn’t in use currently. Is it from being too dry?Will it go away/fill in at some point?
What kind of UV? Is this tortoise not living outside all day? What type of heater for winter?

Growth anomalies like this are more common in drier conditions and/or under the wrong types of heating, but they can and do happen anyway sometimes. Not anything to worry about. It will not fill in.