Swollen head

Cleopatra 2020

Location (City and/or State)
El Mirage. Az
Ooops sent his twice...lol.. but you can see when I hold her like he did she looks fine but in the pic where shes eating Cactus pad she looks puffy which was taken within 5 minutes of the last pic just different angle

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
If her head is puffy, I should see it in the angled shots as a raised profile of her head. Instead, her head looks flat to me.

I just don't see anything wrong with her.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga

Cleopatra 2020

El Mirage. Az
You're right that angle it does look flat where I'm holding her like he's holding her but when she's eating her Cactus pad you can see her puffy eyes right there and her head is round kind of fat and ovally raised but you only see it when she's eating maybe cuz when I pick her up her body sinks back into her shell and her head sticking out would appear skinnier but sitting down with everything pushed in are shell it might be pushing out on her head making it look fat know what I mean?

Cleopatra 2020

El Mirage. Az
She definitely looks okay when I'm holding her sorry to be a crazy worry wart but I always overly worry because I want to always have a plan in place in case something happens

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
You're right that angle it does look flat where I'm holding her like he's holding her but when she's eating her Cactus pad you can see her puffy eyes right there and her head is round kind of fat and ovally raised but you only see it when she's eating maybe cuz when I pick her up her body sinks back into her shell and her head sticking out would appear skinnier but sitting down with everything pushed in are shell it might be pushing out on her head making it look fat know what I mean?
Believe it or not...I do understand what you are saying! ?

I think her carapace is pushing on her neck skin, just kind of squishing the skin upwards a bit. It's just her position when she eats.

Stop worrying! Your baby looks great!

Cleopatra 2020

El Mirage. Az
Believe it or not...I do understand what you are saying! ?

I think her carapace is pushing on her neck skin, just kind of squishing the skin upwards a bit. It's just her position when she eats.

Stop worrying! Your baby looks great!
She is doing really well eating wise I'm so excited to see how much weight she gained for these next four weeks the last four weeks she gained over 20 grams I can literally pick her up and feel how much fatter she's gotten already her sides look like they bulged out a good quarter inch on both sides I swear before her shell used to go straight up and down on the sides now it actually is shaped like a mushroom head h...??❤

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey
She is doing really well eating wise I'm so excited to see how much weight she gained for these next four weeks the last four weeks she gained over 20 grams I can literally pick her up and feel how much fatter she's gotten already her sides look like they bulged out a good quarter inch on both sides I swear before her shell used to go straight up and down on the sides now it actually is shaped like a mushroom head h...??❤
Keep taking pictures of your baby as she grows up!! You’ll love the results.

William Lee Kohler

5 Year Member
Eugene, OR
A couple things. Many if not all tortoise species eat their or other animals dung they come across. It contains useful intestinal flora in their own case and some food value from other animals. YKK but true. When eating these guys flex their jaw and neck muscles eating and swallowing and this goes clear up to the top of their heads and makes it look bigger. If your little one is actually bulging out around legs and can't pull into its shell maybe a little less food would be in order. Also It may be a glutton and eats its dung to fill an insatiable appetite.

Cleopatra 2020

El Mirage. Az
A couple things. Many if not all tortoise species eat their or other animals dung they come across. It contains useful intestinal flora in their own case and some food value from other animals. YKK but true. When eating these guys flex their jaw and neck muscles eating and swallowing and this goes clear up to the top of their heads and makes it look bigger. If your little one is actually bulging out around legs and can't pull into its shell maybe a little less food would be in order. Also It may be a glutton and eats its dung to fill an insatiable appetite.
well she hasn't been eating her poop lately and no her legs are not so fat that she can't pull them into her shell legs aren't fat at all just her shell is bulging on the side from some weight gain she looks great though I must admit side from me being worried about a swollen head I think it was just what camera angle thing