Tom's response to "Garden State Tortoise" Video

Littleredfootbigredheart

Location (City and/or State)
UK
And this is my whole point. Chris's videos are so much more palatable that this cranky gate keeper stuff. If you're going to poke holes in someones caresheet you need to be able to explain yourself in a more articulate way with thorough proof.

So now this question. Do you think its more risky to post a thorough palatable video where someone has the choice to add some sand?....or being driven somewhere else forever more due to a cranky sledge hammer approach with very little proof of what theyre claiming.

What makes this bad? Ive seen it! Ok well these people have not seen it. Well my seen it is better than their seen it thats facts! Ok where are the facts? Ive seen it!...
But there’s been multiple posts added proving sand has been an issue(it doesn’t matter how big an issue you see it)for some captive tortoises, plus the many we likely don’t get to see for all the reasons that have been highlighted.
Again the debate into whether it was the cause of death is irrelevant, it became an issue, no tortoise should be jammed packed full of sand, the quality of husbandry is also irrelevant, why? Because again, we have ZERO control over peoples understanding and knowledge that they apply into their set ups, Chris and others like him can make all the ‘palatable’ videos they like including every in depth detail that goes into eliminating the risks, it doesn’t change the fact they have ZERO control over who takes snip bits of that care information, who struggle to apply the advice or the folks with dire husbandry that overhear people are adding sand into their mixes.

It’s irresponsible to recommend as a ‘safe addition’ and always will be, we’ve already cleared up the fact sand gives no life changing benefits that can’t be achieved other ways, is coir and bark 1000% safe? Nope, nothing is if there’s other husbandry issues, are they the safer options to promote without the added worry of being badly misused? Yes they are, there’s no arguing that which ever way you try and look at it I’m afraid😣

To sum up, I think it’s pretty clear the members that advise here daily are never going to want to promote using sand or praise those who do.. will that cause any harm? I don’t see any possible way it could. Will including it under ‘safe additions’ with the added explanation of every which way to avoid it becoming a problem.. I’d rather we not find out tbh.. do you really want to? Genuine question?😕because if not, I think this debate has well and truly ran its course lol

I have to say, I’ve not hated participating one bit though and hold respect for everyone that’s been involved!😊