Why does my tortoise keep sleeping and is inactive?

Why is he doing this?

• Tired

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Doing something wrong

Votes: 7 77.8%

• Total voters

Minority2

Location (City and/or State)
Tortoise Hell
Thank you so much for the help I mean it. I'll ask my step mum and my dad to go to B&Q with me. My mum voulenteers at this charity shop which might sell large bookcases.

Thank you so much everyone.

Max's owner =]

Tortoises are very expensive pets. They require specific temperatures and large spaces to thrive. Tortoise also live incredible long if they're correctly cared for.

Find a bookcase that is at least 180-240 (L) x 75-90 (W) cm. Make sure to carefully read the links provided in this thread so you and your family knows what types of foods your tortoise can eat mainly, moderately, and sparingly.

You're going to need additional, better light fixtures in the future. For now focus on getting and setting up the new enclosure.

MaxisMYtortoise

England
I'm trying to sort it out but the main issue is money. My mum is on benefits so that means money is a big issue. The closest date I can make him a better enclosure is on the weekends when I get my pocket money. The wait for him having a better life will be long but worth it.

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
I'm trying to sort it out but the main issue is money. My mum is on benefits so that means money is a big issue. The closest date I can make him a better enclosure is on the weekends when I get my pocket money. The wait for him having a better life will be long but worth it.

Best of luck, bud!

MaxisMYtortoise

England
UPDATE ON MAX: 1) Found an empty plant pot (plastic). Washed it out and put it in as a shelter. =]
2) Found one of my fave plastic froggy toys. Took broken squeaky out and put it in his cage (perhaps he'll like it?) I want him to like the toy as much as I like it. =]

MaxisMYtortoise

England
HUGE UPDATE!
1) Max has got a cuttlefish for gnawing on.
2) Max has proper tortoise hard food!!! :D
3) MY MUM BOUGHT A LARGE BOOKSHELF! Time for some DIY ;]

MaxisMYtortoise

England
WooHoo! Now the fun begins....
I've got a BUNCH of ideas. A lot to do with arts and crafts. I can decorate the sides with paint and the insides can have these beautiful plants with his home environment. And I'll add climbing points and so much more of what I can think!!! Just need to start with the foundation... Then I can get onto icing and decoration. I like baking. =]

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
I've got a BUNCH of ideas. A lot to do with arts and crafts. I can decorate the sides with paint and the insides can have these beautiful plants with his home environment. And I'll add climbing points and so much more of what I can think!!! Just need to start with the foundation... Then I can get onto icing and decoration. I like baking. =]

I'm in the middle of building an outdoor enclosure for mine. Having to relearn everything I forgot in geometry class. lol

Tortface

Milwaukee
Just an FYI..i hav one of my RT’s beak trimmed at vet, they use a dremmel tool...doesn’t hurt them and he eats so much better after...my other torts beak is always fine, but the one seems to need a trim every few months

MaxisMYtortoise

England
Just an FYI..i hav one of my RT’s beak trimmed at vet, they use a dremmel tool...doesn’t hurt them and he eats so much better after...my other torts beak is always fine, but the one seems to need a trim every few months
I was worrying it will hurt my baby. Thank you for confirming that. ;o;

MaxisMYtortoise

England
I'm in the middle of building an outdoor enclosure for mine. Having to relearn everything I forgot in geometry class. lol
I have a few questions..
1) Why do I have second thoughts on owning Max, I generally love him. I think I believe he deserves better. I'm a terrible owner. :[
2) Are these thoughts serious, or do everyone have them.
3) I got max when I was 9, was I too young?
4) Will I grow to become more confident/secure with Max when I'm older?
5) Can I actually own Max, do he deserve someone better.
6) If I try and put effort into making him happy and healthy am I going into the steps of a good owner?
7) Am I overthinking this.
8) Can hormones affect my views on animals/hobbies.
9) If I generally love my animals like children should I keep them.
10) If I want to keep them, can I without it being counted as an animal abuse situation because I DO NOT HURT ANY OF MY ANIMALS. I prefer the "Treat Training" then any other kind.

MaxisMYtortoise

England
But I don't really think these are second thoughts. I <3 my pets and I enjoy dreaming of my future with them. Does that mean I'm not having second thoughts? I just want the best for Max and Diesel my dog,

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
I have a few questions..

1) Why do I have second thoughts on owning Max, I generally love him. I think I believe he deserves better. I'm a terrible owner. :[
Why do you feel he deserves better? Are you unable to give him the care and attention he needs?
2) Are these thoughts serious, or do everyone have them.
Completely normal. I had them too.
3) I got max when I was 9, was I too young?
I was the same age when I started.
4) Will I grow to become more confident/secure with Max when I'm older?
Only time will tell, I suppose.
5) Can I actually own Max, do he deserve someone better.
See question # 1.
6) If I try and put effort into making him happy and healthy am I going into the steps of a good owner?
Without a doubt. Indeed. Absolutely.
7) Am I overthinking this.
If they are genuine concerns you're having, then my philosophy is: "better to overthink than not think at all".
8) Can hormones affect my views on animals/hobbies.
Hormones can affect just about everything in life, be it good or bad.
9) If I generally love my animals like children should I keep them.
Love is one step. Caring for someone or something goes way past an emotional state though. Question is... are you committed enough to give it the care and attention it needs?
10) If I want to keep them, can I without it being counted as an animal abuse situation because I DO NOT HURT ANY OF MY ANIMALS. I prefer the "Treat Training" then any other kind.
Ok... you'll have to explain what you mean by that one. Abuse comes in many forms. Which form are you referring to?