Why does my tortoise keep sleeping and is inactive?

Why is he doing this?

• Tired

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Doing something wrong

Votes: 7 77.8%

• Total voters

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Lewisville, Texas
I have a few questions..
1) Why do I have second thoughts on owning Max, I generally love him. I think I believe he deserves better. I'm a terrible owner. :[
2) Are these thoughts serious, or do everyone have them.
3) I got max when I was 9, was I too young?
4) Will I grow to become more confident/secure with Max when I'm older?
5) Can I actually own Max, do he deserve someone better.
6) If I try and put effort into making him happy and healthy am I going into the steps of a good owner?
7) Am I overthinking this.
8) Can hormones affect my views on animals/hobbies.
9) If I generally love my animals like children should I keep them.
10) If I want to keep them, can I without it being counted as an animal abuse situation because I DO NOT HURT ANY OF MY ANIMALS. I prefer the "Treat Training" then any other kind.

1/2- the second thoughts are pretty normal. There was a period where I had them about my tortoise, because I knew I wasn’t taking care of him right. I ended up getting active on tortoise forum again, and that pulled me out of that phase.

You’re definitely not a bad owner, because you’re trying to get help. Bad owners are people that know things are wrong, but choose not to do anything about it. Good owners do what they can to let their tortoise have a better life, and you’re doing just that.

3- It depends. I would say you were too young, but that doesn’t really mean anything. I was definitely too young(12) when I got my tort, but I managed to get his care together after a while, just like you’re doing.

4- very likely, yes.

5-as long as you can continue to care for him, he should definitely stay with you. If you had absolutely no way to change things, I would recommend rehoming him, but that doesn’t seem to be the case.

6- yes.

7- definitely lol

8- probably? I dunno

9- as long as you can properly are for them, you can keep them.

10- as long as you are properly caring for them, it is not considered animal abuse.

MaxisMYtortoise

England
1/2- the second thoughts are pretty normal. There was a period where I had them about my tortoise, because I knew I wasn’t taking care of him right. I ended up getting active on tortoise forum again, and that pulled me out of that phase.

You’re definitely not a bad owner, because you’re trying to get help. Bad owners are people that know things are wrong, but choose not to do anything about it. Good owners do what they can to let their tortoise have a better life, and you’re doing just that.

3- It depends. I would say you were too young, but that doesn’t really mean anything. I was definitely too young(12) when I got my tort, but I managed to get his care together after a while, just like you’re doing.

4- very likely, yes.

5-as long as you can continue to care for him, he should definitely stay with you. If you had absolutely no way to change things, I would recommend rehoming him, but that doesn’t seem to be the case.

6- yes.

7- definitely lol

8- probably? I dunno

10- as long as you are properly caring for them, it is not considered animal abuse.
Thank you for your advice. Glad I'm not alone. :]

MaxisMYtortoise

England
1) Why do I have second thoughts on owning Max, I generally love him. I think I believe he deserves better. I'm a terrible owner. :[
Why do you feel he deserves better? Are you unable to give him the care and attention he needs?
Completely normal. I had them too.
I was the same age when I started.
Only time will tell, I suppose.
See question # 1.
6) If I try and put effort into making him happy and healthy am I going into the steps of a good owner?
Without a doubt. Indeed. Absolutely.
If they are genuine concerns you're having, then my philosophy is: "better to overthink than not think at all".
Hormones can affect just about everything in life, be it good or bad.
Love is one step. Caring for someone or something goes way past an emotional state though. Question is... are you committed enough to give it the care and attention it needs?
10) If I want to keep them, can I without it being counted as an animal abuse situation because I DO NOT HURT ANY OF MY ANIMALS. I prefer the "Treat Training" then any other kind.
Ok... you'll have to explain what you mean by that one. Abuse comes in many forms. Which form are you referring to?
Answer to 9| I do see a future with Max when I'm older.
Answer to 10| By abuse I meant like emotional abuse to him. Sometimes I have emotional states where I can just cry since I feel like such a bad owner. That is why I ask so many questions. I am feeling better but it is an emotional roller coaster.

MaxisMYtortoise

England

4- very likely, yes.

6- yes.

7- definitely lol

8- probably? I dunno

By the way I have so much time for my pets. I doubt I would struggle with providing for them. =]

MaxisMYtortoise

England
Why do you feel he deserves better? Are you unable to give him the care and attention he needs?
Completely normal. I had them too.
I was the same age when I started.
Only time will tell, I suppose.
See question # 1.
Without a doubt. Indeed. Absolutely.
If they are genuine concerns you're having, then my philosophy is: "better to overthink than not think at all".
Hormones can affect just about everything in life, be it good or bad.
Love is one step. Caring for someone or something goes way past an emotional state though. Question is... are you committed enough to give it the care and attention it needs?
Ok... you'll have to explain what you mean by that one. Abuse comes in many forms. Which form are you referring to?
I am able to give him care and attention. I am still a kid which means I got a load of time on my hands. I just worry am I doing the correct thing because I want him and my dog to have the best of the best. Today I got him a food bowl and water bowl and my dog some dog treats with my pocket money. =]

I felt proud of spending my money on something responsible. =]

MaxisMYtortoise

England
I am able to give him care and attention. I am still a kid which means I got a load of time on my hands. I just worry am I doing the correct thing because I want him and my dog to have the best of the best. Today I got him a food bowl and water bowl and my dog some dog treats with my pocket money. =]

I felt proud of spending my money on something responsible. =]
Well teen heh.

MaxisMYtortoise

England
I'm thinking about the possibilities of owning a fancy pigeon. I know it's a crazy idea and I won't own one before I sort Max out but they look soooo cute. If it's a bad idea just message me :p also I'm feeling weird. Like crazy, maybe because of my struggle to sleep. I feel drunk (I HAD NO ALCOHOL BY THE WAY)
and just loopy.

Tortface

Milwaukee
I was worrying it will hurt my baby. Thank you for confirming that. ;o;
I have seen online where some people show using like a toenail clipper..looked awful..just confirm w ur vet how they do it...i know how you feel, dont want them to hurt!!!!

MaxisMYtortoise

England
I have seen online where some people show using like a toenail clipper..looked awful..just confirm w ur vet how they do it...i know how you feel, dont want them to hurt!!!!
The bad thing is there aren't many reptile vets near me. Mainly dog/cat/small mammal vets.

Tortface

Milwaukee
The bad thing is there aren't many reptile vets near me. Mainly dog/cat/small mammal vets.
I know what you mean, none here either...this is a dog/cat vet n when i called they said they’re able to do the beak trim..hope same by you. I asked at the pet store that sells reptiles..torts, snakes etc and they gave me nane of vet they use but he is really far from my home...maybe you could try that.

DesertGirl

5 Year Member
Fabulous Las Vegas, NV
I tried booking in with the local vets but they said they couldn't work on him. The nearest one that can do it is quite far away plus my mum doesn't drive.
Bus ride for two?? Kid, anyone who is as worried about their pet as you will make a fine keeper! So happy about that bookcase. Don’t worry about it being fancy or not. Remember torts in the wild live in DIRT! They’re not browsing Home & Garden magazine. (Get that light bulb changed right away).

MaxisMYtortoise

England
Bus ride for two?? Kid, anyone who is as worried about their pet as you will make a fine keeper! So happy about that bookcase. Don’t worry about it being fancy or not. Remember torts in the wild live in DIRT! They’re not browsing Home & Garden magazine. (Get that light bulb changed right away).
Thank you and I'm saving to get him a new light. I'm confused on what substitute I can do for the curly light.

DesertGirl

5 Year Member
Fabulous Las Vegas, NV
Thank you and I'm saving to get him a new light. I'm confused on what substitute I can do for the curly light.

Look for a spotlight with UVB. UVB is the part of the light, or spectrum, that has all the good stuff that they, and we humans, need. Vitamin D and lots of other stuff for good health and shell development. Here’s an example from Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XFKH7HC/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

NOTE: Do NOT buy this brand. Burned out within 2 weeks. They are all pretty pricey in my opinion and you’ll need several every year. Don’t fret. Keep reading.

Since my tort spends her days outside, I do not run a special bulb. I have a 100 watt spotlight in her indoor tank for warmth. It’s about 12-15 inches above her favorite basking light. These are not as expensive as those UVB bulbs so if you can spend a half hour a day or so outside with him, he’ll be just fine. If you miss a day or two, don’t worry. He won’t drop dead.

NEVER take your eyes off him while outside. They can teleport! In the blink of an eye, they can be on the other side of the yard and into mischief!

Best wishes!

MaxisMYtortoise

England
Look for a spotlight with UVB. UVB is the part of the light, or spectrum, that has all the good stuff that they, and we humans, need. Vitamin D and lots of other stuff for good health and shell development. Here’s an example from Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XFKH7HC/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

NOTE: Do NOT buy this brand. Burned out within 2 weeks. They are all pretty pricey in my opinion and you’ll need several every year. Don’t fret. Keep reading.

Since my tort spends her days outside, I do not run a special bulb. I have a 100 watt spotlight in her indoor tank for warmth. It’s about 12-15 inches above her favorite basking light. These are not as expensive as those UVB bulbs so if you can spend a half hour a day or so outside with him, he’ll be just fine. If you miss a day or two, don’t worry. He won’t drop dead.

NEVER take your eyes off him while outside. They can teleport! In the blink of an eye, they can be on the other side of the yard and into mischief!

Best wishes!
I know Komodo is a good brand but do you this these are a trusted brand and/or has good UVB lights. https://www.wilko.com/en-uk/komodo-...yPPQ_rPhms2h7gh7cGkaAsuDEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Many thanks, Max and his owner. =]