Crazy Foster Dad

Alaskamike

Location (City and/or State)
South Florida
I wouldn't mix the species. If I'm remembering correctly, the Florida box turtle, Terrapene carolina bauri's status is 'threatened'. Also, both the ornata and the bauri are pretty aggressive.
Thanks Yvonne
good to know
These 2 I'm fostering, were take from a lady's garden and raised by her when they were babies. I offered to get them out of her classroom and care for them them for 2 months.
My assumption is at the end of summer she will be ready to take them back when they get their house finished - but she could change her mind. If she does I'll keep them, if not, I have told her I would come over and help her set up a appropriate enclosure outside for them - they were living on sand, in an old sandbox before. And the in a small plastic container of sand in the classroom.
I'm sure she had no idea it was a "no-no" to remove them from the wild. She just thought they were cute and looked helpless. You're correct, In Florida these are a protected species and considered "threatened". Its really a shame the Boxies are suffering so. May people have never eve seen one in the woods (although they are expert little hiders).

Finding a captive bred adult FBT is not real easy, because of the regulations. But some people have them.

This is when I wish I had some appropriate large wild acreage with a pond/ swampy area, to help repopulate them.

Rutibegga

5 Year Member
Philadelphia, PA
They are pretty cute! You know, the whole reason I ended up with my redfoot is that I was caring for five juvenile EBTs and my partner saw how much I adored them and finally caved (after 11 years of "No tortoise!") I was considering getting an EBT (my clients who have them have a neighbor who breeds them) but had always dreamed of a redfoot... So I just went for it.

I love boxies, though. Pretty much any terrestrial species makes me feel all warm and fuzzy. (I like aquatics, too, but they don't inspire the same googly-eyed bliss in me.)

Alaskamike

South Florida
I think the underlying fascination I Have for them stems from my childhood in Indiana. Found a box turtle in the garden and for several years he lived in our. Yard. Hibernated under a stump from an old tree. In the Spring I was always looking for him, & when he would finally appear it was always a joyful event.
He got used to me dropping worms in front of him , though he was not really a pet , it seemed like he got used to me and associated me as the " worm God". Lol

One spring he just never reappeared.

My mom was adamant that he was happy with his freedom , and as bad as I wanted to keep him in a tank, convinced me it would be cruel. He was a happy wild thing and stayed that way. She told me he must have gone looking for a wife ....

Rutibegga

5 Year Member
Philadelphia, PA
I think the underlying fascination I Have for them stems from my childhood in Indiana. Found a box turtle in the garden and for several years he lived in our. Yard. Hibernated under a stump from an old tree. In the Spring I was always looking for him, & when he would finally appear it was always a joyful event.
He got used to me dropping worms in front of him , though he was not really a pet , it seemed like he got used to me and associated me as the " worm God". Lol

One spring he just never reappeared.

My mom was adamant that he was happy with his freedom , and as bad as I wanted to keep him in a tank, convinced me it would be cruel. He was a happy wild thing and stayed that way. She told me he must have gone looking for a wife ....

Similar story for me: my grandmother had a "cabin" (screened in shed) in the wooded area behind her house, and my grandma, cousins and I would sleep out there on nice summer nights and explore the woods during the day. We found boxies all the time, either out there or on trail rides through the wooded areas of PA and would always beg to keep them. Grandma would always tell us they belonged where they were. The obsession started very young :) I think my grandma would love my new tortoise, but maybe also feel like I should move to South America and buy a ton of land in order to really care for him properly.

Angel Carrion

Douglassville, PA
They are pretty cute! You know, the whole reason I ended up with my redfoot is that I was caring for five juvenile EBTs and my partner saw how much I adored them and finally caved (after 11 years of "No tortoise!") I was considering getting an EBT (my clients who have them have a neighbor who breeds them) but had always dreamed of a redfoot... So I just went for it.

I love boxies, though. Pretty much any terrestrial species makes me feel all warm and fuzzy. (I like aquatics, too, but they don't inspire the same googly-eyed bliss in me.)
Similar story for me: my grandmother had a "cabin" (screened in shed) in the wooded area behind her house, and my grandma, cousins and I would sleep out there on nice summer nights and explore the woods during the day. We found boxies all the time, either out there or on trail rides through the wooded areas of PA and would always beg to keep them. Grandma would always tell us they belonged where they were. The obsession started very young :) I think my grandma would love my new tortoise, but maybe also feel like I should move to South America and buy a ton of land in order to really care for him properly.
Boxies are awesome! What happened to the five juvenile EBT's? Were they from the client's neighbor? Also, who is the clients neighbor? Do they have a Breeder EBT license or what-have-you, or are they lucky enough to not have been caught, yet? <- Curiosity

Your grandmother sounds very wise, though I would have been right there along with you guys as a kid going "Please Please Please pleasepleaseplease pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaasssssssssssseeeeeee?!?!" Haha!

Rutibegga

5 Year Member
Philadelphia, PA
Boxies are awesome! What happened to the five juvenile EBT's? Were they from the client's neighbor? Also, who is the clients neighbor? Do they have a Breeder EBT license or what-have-you, or are they lucky enough to not have been caught, yet? <- Curiosity

Your grandmother sounds very wise, though I would have been right there along with you guys as a kid going "Please Please Please pleasepleaseplease pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaasssssssssssseeeeeee?!?!" Haha!

The five EBTs live in an outdoor enclosure in my clients' yard. I have no idea if their neighbor is licensed or not--they gave me her contact info, but I'd already gone off the redfoot deep end. I was told she had about 15 hatchlings at any given time, so I hope she's got a license!

I'll be visiting the turtles in a couple of weeks while my clients are out of town and will get a few photos. They don't get handled and aren't particularly people oriented, but I'll do my best. Three are juvies of a few years, two are hatchlings from this spring. All are cute.

Alaskamike

South Florida
Boxie adoptees enjoying B- fast.
I chopped up part of a boiled egg ( she'll & all) , hibiscus leaves, Mazuri , piece of boiled chicken.
Yummmm

They each had a night crawler for desert. Happy campers.

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1441195044.801480.jpg

Alaskamike

South Florida
I researched the Florida regulations concerning FBT.
Interesting.
No permit needed to keep 2 ( but removal from the wild is a no no )
But more than 2 , including any other North American box turtle , you need at class III permit ( free)

If yours lay eggs you have to destroy them .... Or
With a class III permit they might let you keep them , but you cannot release the babies into the wild. They cannot be sold but only re- homed to someone in State as a pet.

Just good to know info.
That's all.
I suspect most states have simulate regulations on Native Box Turtles.

I thought this was a strange regulation but probably has something to do with disease / pathogens worries.

I actually called the game / wildlife commission to clarify the regs. Some of them are a bit muddy. The gal admitted they don't get many requests for FBT permits even though they know many people keep them.

Compliance is spotty , and unless you advertise sale on a public site they would have no reason to know anything about it.

Angel Carrion

Douglassville, PA
I researched the Florida regulations concerning FBT.
Interesting.
No permit needed to keep 2 ( but removal from the wild is a no no )
But more than 2 , including any other North American box turtle , you need at class III permit ( free)

If yours lay eggs you have to destroy them .... Or
With a class III permit they might let you keep them , but you cannot release the babies into the wild. They cannot be sold but only re- homed to someone in State as a pet.

Just good to know info.
That's all.
I suspect most states have simulate regulations on Native Box Turtles.

I thought this was a strange regulation but probably has something to do with disease / pathogens worries.

I actually called the game / wildlife commission to clarify the regs. Some of them are a bit muddy. The gal admitted they don't get many requests for FBT permits even though they know many people keep them.

Compliance is spotty , and unless you advertise sale on a public site they would have no reason to know anything about it.

Yeah that's the same pretty much everywhere. Except concerning Eastern Boxies. Here on the East coast (PA, VA, MD, NY, NJ) it's generally against all regulations to have an EBT in your possession (unless a wildlife rehabber or with a permit/license connecting you to a rehabber) and breeding isn't allowed unless you have that license. Just having one as a pet is against all regulations and can pose a serious penalty/fine.

Alaskamike

South Florida
Well. That's to another member here in Florida. ( @Turtlepete ). I acquired my own FBT.

A nice male about 8 yrs old.

I called him Effe ( that was an Uncles name , and he was a bit of a recluse - like a turtle himself :)

Effe has his own pen. I'm planting it more. But the basics are done. He's patrolling it like crazy.

Has a hide made from paving tiles.

The water pond is a water heater pan

Now really I gotta quit getting more torts or turtles and leave some of my yard - yard. Hahaha.

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1441471284.348719.jpg
His enclosure.

Angel Carrion

Douglassville, PA
Yes. A few little fishes would be welcome.
We have a bait store that sells shiners too. Gonna get some of those.
I suggest staying away from feeder goldfish, though. I can't remember exactly but something about the way they're raised can cause a certain element/thing inside them to raise to dangerous levels for turtles that would eat them.