Crazy Foster Dad

Angel Carrion

Location (City and/or State)
Douglassville, PA
Be careful; I freaked out one day when I couldn't find one of mine no matter where I looked. Turns out he had buried himself down under a lettuce plant and had positioned himself in such a way as to make the leaf cover the quarter inch of his shell that was not covered in dirt. The rest of him was completely buried and it was near impossible to tell he had buried himself there. What's funny is I had actually moved those leaves around to see if he was under there, and somehow I missed him, even though I checked there like five times. Haha!

Alaskamike

South Florida
Be careful; I freaked out one day when I couldn't find one of mine no matter where I looked. Turns out he had buried himself down under a lettuce plant and had positioned himself in such a way as to make the leaf cover the quarter inch of his shell that was not covered in dirt. The rest of him was completely buried and it was near impossible to tell he had buried himself there. What's funny is I had actually moved those leaves around to see if he was under there, and somehow I missed him, even though I checked there like five times. Haha!
I have had a small leopard do the same thing.
You're right. If I step into the enclosure I have to be very careful where I put my feet. They are expert at disguise.

Alaskamike

South Florida
One thing I've discovered with feeding my Boxies - they come out to eat at first light and at dusk.
I've started putting their food out either early morning or at dusk and leaving it.
This morning I found them surrounding the food dish and choking down. When the sun is full out they disappear till evening , although sometimes I do see them wandering around the food is ignored during the day ( unless it rains , that seems to get them active foraging all over again )

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1442834270.086675.jpg

Alaskamike

South Florida
Effe stays alone in his enclosure. I had him in briefly with the females this week and he went crazy with his haram.
In the morning I often find him in his water dish waiting for a night crawler to magically fall from the sky and it usually does. Lol.
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1442835130.087695.jpg

He is my oldest Boxie , and a bit larger than the females. It is quite the event to see him mate. He bites and claws at the female until she allows him access and then hooks his considerable back claws in her shell and hangs on to her. The " event" lasts over an hour.

He put a little hole in her back she'll and took a chip out with a bite before it was over. They are brutal.

I could not leave him in there to do it again .... Poor thing.
This is natural , I know, but wow !

Angel Carrion

Douglassville, PA
Yeah it's scary how brutal they can be. That's why so many people say to neeeever have a pair and to have a large pen with a thousand sight barriers and hides so she can escape. But I like your idea better; to keep them separate at all times except for little "date nights".
Yeah, boxies tend to eat in the early morning and at dusk, just as the sun is starting to set. Sometimes you get one that doesn't listen to this normal behavior pattern and is instead up all day wandering and foraging and soaking and just chilling out (one of mine does this every now and then aaaaaall day) but for the most part, especially if it is hot out, they will only be out during the morning and dusk.