Crazy Foster Dad

Alaskamike

Location (City and/or State)
South Florida
Okay.... so,
The daughter of my GF, Nichole, started her youngster in preschool the other day, and in the classroom a teacher had these 2 turtles in a plastic container (about 12" X 16") of sand with a small water bowl. She took pictures because the teacher was not sure what they were (Plus she was worried about them), and messaged me with them.

They were Florida Box Turtles. I'll post a pic soon.

So I sent her yesterday with care info , a link to the forum, and some ideas (especially the main idea that they will eventually die in that box and in a busy classroom without a proper habitat) and with Nichole's prompting the teacher asked - not if I could take them, but would I foster them for a time. So, sucker that I am for turtles, I said sure.

Yesterday she brought them to me in the container and I got the rest of the story.

Seems the teacher had raised these two in a sandbox in her yard for several years (I hope planted, hides, etc, but don't know), found them as babies in her garden. She did not know much about them, just thought they were cute and needed a home. She fed them greens from the store and veggies. She seemed very attached to them. Recently they sold their home and are in the process of building a new house, living with relatives till its finished. They have no place for the turtles, except the little box.
Estimated it would be a couple months, maybe by end of summer.

So, here I am, sucker that I am, with two boxies. I made them a separate enclosure with hides, a terra cotta water dish they can climb in and out of, lots of cover and fully green. I put down a paving tile to offer additional food on. They will have zero contact with my others. They seem to be very healthy and active. But I haven't had a box turtle to care for since I was a kid.

I'm getting them worms soon as I find a source., and suppose they can eat the same variety of natural greens I grow for my leopard, sully, and Aldabra , maybe plus some veggies.

Couple of questions-
Can they eat a bit of boiled egg if I haven't got worms available? Or a piece of cooked chicken?
Are some veggies much better than others? Any suggestions?
How likely is it that they will dig out of an enclosure (Its 3' X 20'), do i need to put down a dig barrier? I've got barrier on the 20' sides already , one side is against my lanai wall & foundation, the other the outside wall of my other surround already buried down 12". So it would just be the 2 - 3 ft ends.
These two have always been together since the teacher found them. I have not separated them, but I could. What is the likelihood of bullying with Boxy's? . One is noticeably larger than the other, and I am not sure of their age, but they are at least 3 yo. I haven't tried to sex them yet. If they are male/ female at what size could they breed? I'll weigh them soon too, to make sure they keep healthy and grow a bit.

Thanks in advance.
Box turtles were not on my agenda, but.....

Eric Phillips

5 Year Member
Ohio
Hey Mike, yes they can eat boiled egg. Quail Eggs are favored:) Any fruit, vegetables, or greens that have a good source of vitamin A and C will work just fine. And yes they need to get their protein. Boiled chicken, salmon, tuna, etc. Make sure they are salt free. Worms, crickets, meal worms, I prefer Silk Worms or calciworms for their high concentration of calcium. Virtually anything that shakes its wiggle:) Good Luck they look great. Just make sure no sand as the substrate. They should not of been kept in a sandbox with sand. Peat Moss, Organic Topsoil, Coir are all good substrates for box turtles.

Alaskamike

South Florida
Thanks Eric ,
They are outside on good old Florida soil. Hiding under their hibiscus bush right now.
I don't know how they were fed before , or if they can forage on their own. I will put out food on their feeding stone and see if they find it. Maybe I'll set them down in front of it a few times till they know to look there.
I did tell the teacher sand is bad iand can cause impactions. She had no idea. I think that's how she raised them.

Thanks for the food ideas. Pretty much what I thought.

Alaskamike

South Florida
Boy they hate to be picked up. Scratched and struggled like crazy.
Still very scared of new everything. I'll leave em alone for a few days to settle in.
They both practically ran off the scales :)

Alaskamike

South Florida
There is a member here in South Florida that has Florida box turtles if you don't want to keep them.
@CharlieM
Thanks. But as of now I'm just giving them a home till the teacher can finish their house. Then presumably they will go back to her.
I plan on helping her with a more appropriate outside environment for these 2 when she wants them back.

Turtlepete

South Florida
Very nice turtles. Florida boxies are one of the funnest turtles to keep. Can't match their inquisitive and outgoing personality. Really a joy to work with.

Would need some overhead shots to tell 100%, but looks both females. These guys aren't like the other Terrapene (i.e, ornata). They don't get huge tails or red eyes. What you are looking for is hooked/curved nails on the back feet and flared rear marginals on a mature male. Slight concavity is common, but nothing extreme. Both of those look to have very straight, blunt nails and no real extreme marginal flaring (I can show you a pic of a mature male, its quite extreme in some cases). Likely both females. The bigger one is likely breeding age.

If you are looking for diet advice, I personally offer moistened Mazuri turtle chow (the aquatic version. Can substitute this with Croc chow as well) mixed with vegetables and greens. Fruits such as cantaloupe are a favorite as well. I offer some fish occasionally, dead mice, etc.. Cooked chicken and turkey can definitely be used as a meat protein substitute. Do not fall into the belief these guys are strictly/mainly carnivores as a lot of literature seems to suggest. Meaty items can definitely be offered to get some weight on them, but for long run health you want to stick to a more vegetarian diet.

What they are is quite aquatic. If offered a semi-shallow pond (deep enough to fully submerge but still stretch their necks out), they will spend much of their time there. Add some aquatic vegetation such as water lettuce and hyacinths and its heaven. Lots of water/rain makes a happy turtle!

Good luck. They really are awesome turtles.

Alaskamike

South Florida
Very nice turtles. Florida boxies are one of the funnest turtles to keep. Can't match their inquisitive and outgoing personality. Really a joy to work with.

Would need some overhead shots to tell 100%, but looks both females. These guys aren't like the other Terrapene (i.e, ornata). They don't get huge tails or red eyes. What you are looking for is hooked/curved nails on the back feet and flared rear marginals on a mature male. Slight concavity is common, but nothing extreme. Both of those look to have very straight, blunt nails and no real extreme marginal flaring (I can show you a pic of a mature male, its quite extreme in some cases). Likely both females. The bigger one is likely breeding age.

If you are looking for diet advice, I personally offer moistened Mazuri turtle chow (the aquatic version. Can substitute this with Croc chow as well) mixed with vegetables and greens. Fruits such as cantaloupe are a favorite as well. I offer some fish occasionally, dead mice, etc.. Cooked chicken and turkey can definitely be used as a meat protein substitute. Do not fall into the belief these guys are strictly/mainly carnivores as a lot of literature seems to suggest. Meaty items can definitely be offered to get some weight on them, but for long run health you want to stick to a more vegetarian diet.

What they are is quite aquatic. If offered a semi-shallow pond (deep enough to fully submerge but still stretch their necks out), they will spend much of their time there. Add some aquatic vegetation such as water lettuce and hyacinths and its heaven. Lots of water/rain makes a happy turtle!

Good luck. They really are awesome turtles.
I knew they were often found in marshy area or by ponds. I currently have a big terra cotta saucer in there for them but I'll think about something more pond like

They are amazingly active explores. Thanks for the food ideas. I'll get some of that chow soon. In the meantime I'll put a bit of meat on their feeding rock.

I'll have fun with it while I have them. And pass on what I learn when the gals ready to take them back.

Do they ever need a calcium supplement? Or do they get what they need from a good diet mix.

So glad there are experienced keeper of every species on here. Helps allot

Angel Carrion

Douglassville, PA
I knew they were often found in marshy area or by ponds. I currently have a big terra cotta saucer in there for them but I'll think about something more pond like

They are amazingly active explores. Thanks for the food ideas. I'll get some of that chow soon. In the meantime I'll put a bit of meat on their feeding rock.

I'll have fun with it while I have them. And pass on what I learn when the gals ready to take them back.

Do they ever need a calcium supplement? Or do they get what they need from a good diet mix.

So glad there are experienced keeper of every species on here. Helps allot
It's always a good idea to offer a cuttlebone or two. I have four or five cuttlebone in with my box turtles. I also throw in egg shells whenever I scramble myself up some eggs. My one box turtle prefers munching on the shells over the cuttlebone.

Angel Carrion

Douglassville, PA
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1440260994.942473.jpg
I sometimes put my boxies in a kiddy pool with water and a floating dish of hydrated food (a mix of mazuri, omega sticks, and rep-cal) and let them hunt it as they soak. My girl Tang Shen here loves it. She chases it and pushes it around before body-slamming it and gobbling it all up. She is the messiest. But it's good, because she was underweight when I got her, so I'm slowly putting weight on her.

In case this is something you may want to try and see if they like. A fun activity that's rewarding for them.