Do you like meat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spn785

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Mid-Missouri
I read an interesting article that basically said that our diet has to do with our blood type. Type O was the first in humans, from when we were hunters, the articles suggests that this means you need meat in your diet. Type A was second from when we started farming and they would need more grains and vegetables. Type B was third and they would need more fruit in their diet. Those with Type AB blood are the only ones according to this article that can live healthily on a vegetarian diet, at least without taking supplements.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Spn785 said:
I read an interesting article that basically said that our diet has to do with our blood type. Type O was the first in humans, from when we were hunters, the articles suggests that this means you need meat in your diet. Type A was second from when we started farming and they would need more grains and vegetables. Type B was third and they would need more fruit in their diet. Those with Type AB blood are the only ones according to this article that can live healthily on a vegetarian diet, at least without taking supplements.

So then my tortoises would be AB? Good to know if they ever need a transfusion. LOL. At least my food can fight back. Poor veggies are just root bound sitting targets!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Spn785 said:

Interesting. So the entire human race was all type O until we started farming on a larger scale and then a new blood type was somehow created? Never heard that before.

Don't remember my blood type. I wanna check this out though. If its true, it could explain a lot.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
Tom said:
Spn785 said:

Interesting. So the entire human race was all type O until we started farming on a larger scale and then a new blood type was somehow created? Never heard that before.

Don't remember my blood type. I wanna check this out though. If its true, it could explain a lot.

The theory is very much in dispute. A primer via Wikipedia.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Spn785 said:

Interesting. I'll just add I am an AB. :D

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
Yeah, I would be in deep trouble if I ate for my blood type (A-). :( I can't be a pure vegetarian or eat a lot of grains because I have Crohns.. So I eat a very high protein diet, plus I really like meat :) :)

Thalatte

5 Year Member
I am allergic to all cow by products and I only eat a kosher diet-not for a religious reason just because I hate the texture of pork and the high fat content of bacon. However I do eat lots and lots of fish (its in most meals even breakfast) and poultry (only for dinner). I think i could become a vegetarian quite happily but I am far to lazy to spend hours and hours just chopping veggies.

I was raised on a farm so I don't have anything against the meat industry as it is true that slaughter houses are getting better. I wouldnt eat from them quite yet but eventually maybe...

As far as the chemicals and such I completely agree. I dont use sanitizers, bleach, and most cleaners instead I just use natural cleaning products and non processed organic foods and I havent been sick in years. I have genetic issues but Havent had a cold, flu or even strep throat even though everyone around me including the toddler I watch gets sick several times a year. Its either the way I clean or all the tea I drink...

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Even if I didn't like meat...I'd still eat meat! I get all the greens I need from the steer that previously ate the grass! BTW...Since Ted Nugent is a bowhunter and catches most of his game in the wild...does that make his diet organic? Helluva topic for me to pull my 3000th post!

Kerryann

5 Year Member
West Bloomfield MI
DeanS said:
Even if I didn't like meat...I'd still eat meat! I get all the greens I need from the steer that previously ate the grass! BTW...Since Ted Nugent is a bowhunter and catches most of his game in the wild...does that make his diet organic? Helluva topic for me to pull my 3000th post!

I would say the answer is yes. What he hunts and eats will also be lower in fat and would not contain any chemicals.

SBeanie

5 Year Member
California
Ha ok here we go. I can't have gluten (wheat, grain, oat, barley etc) as well as some soy whey products. I'm so sensitive that I can't even have meat that had a grain diet.. So if I do eat meat I have to spend a crap ton of money for something that was grass fed only.. Which in most supermarkets around here they don't either label the meat or it says one thing and it is totally wrong. I do think that they could up the cleanliness of the manufacturing/farming process. Feeding the livestock dead parts of other animals and grains that they weren't meant to break down in the first place is pretty messed up. I wanna say a good video to watch about the food process in The United States is Food for Change and one other one that I can't recall the name. But unfortunately most manufactures are not going to change their process because of how much they make. It's a messed up system that leads to horrible cases for the general public that consumes the products.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Kerryann said:
I would say the answer is yes. What he hunts and eats will also be lower in fat and would not contain any chemicals.

I would hazard that a good amount of the game he eats is not organic. In my area, many open hunting lands are timber company lands or adjacent to timber company lands. Many of these companies spray at the least broad leaf killer in that those pesky plants block all the sun for the fir trees. Deer and elk browse on the broad leaf plants and consume these chemicals. An older friend of mine remembers hunting as a youngster with his dad and one of them shot a dinner that had two livers. Not lobes, separate organs.

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
DeanS said:

I'm going to say "no." Game animals don't respect boundaries. They spend a lot of time in the farmers' fields and are exposed to/eating chemicals that grass-fed beef would not encounter. Roundup, anyone??

Kerryann

5 Year Member
West Bloomfield MI
In Michigan in most of the areas you can hunt I would say that's mostly not the case. The hunting areas my family used were not near farm land. So that would depend on what area they are in.
Beef is not grass fed unless you are buying it at whole foods or a specialty butcher. Walmart beef or low end grocery store beef is grain fed standing in their own feces knee deep.
Know how your food is produced. If you get factory farm meats they are full of crap you probably wouldn't want in your belly.
Kosher meats and cheese are always safe if you have it available. Also if you think kosher means a Rabbi blessed it that's wrong. To be kosher an animal has to be raised, slaughtered, and prepared a certain way which is safer when it comes to end product contaminant load.

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
I'm a meat-eater.

I volunteered once at a food bank warehouse here in the L.A. area - a place where large companies, such as grocery stores, donate overstock foodstuffs to be redistributed to shelters and food banks. At this place, our job as volunteers was to go through items one by one and check expiration dates. We placed all expired crackers, cookies, and candy in a large bin. All the food in this expired bin was then donated farmers who used these high carb foods to fatten up pigs. They were feeding candy bars to pigs! Expired candy bars at that. Before then, I'd never really given much thought to food production here in the U.S., but since then, I put alot more thought into the food I eat. I still eat meat, and am grateful that I have a full plate, but I spend more time thinking about what I'm eating.

Zouave

5 Year Member
Toronto
Humans are omnivores, our teeth and digestive systems are the proof. However in most western cultures too much emphasis is placed on eating meat. We could all do with eating less of it and more vegetables and fruits.

That said, pass the bacon over here please.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I really don't know much of the pro's or con's about not eating meat, just that I don't like it, but a friend of mine who was over weight, and had high cholesterol , and type 2 diabetes stopped eating meat and became a vegetarian last year. She lost a load of weight, and her cholesterol went down and so did her sugar count. She doesn't need to take any more pills for the sugar or the cholesterol, and she looks, and feels fantastic. Just saying.....

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Humans are omnivores, but I'm not sure that all this meat is what we're supposed to be eating. Our digestive systems (length of intestines) are certainly not suited to digesting all this meat. And we do not have the teeth of carnivores. Other primates (also omnivores) eat a diet that is about 90 percent vegetation. The 10 percent protein is usually insects.

terryo said:
I really don't know much of the pro's or con's about not eating meat, just that I don't like it, but a friend of mine who was over weight, and had high cholesterol , and type 2 diabetes stopped eating meat and became a vegetarian last year. She lost a load of weight, and her cholesterol went down and so did her sugar count. She doesn't need to take any more pills for the sugar or the cholesterol, and she looks, and feels fantastic. Just saying.....
That has been my experience as well terry.

Kerryann

5 Year Member
West Bloomfield MI
terryo said:

Also you have people like me who almost died of a rare heart disease, was obese, ended up having type 2 diabetes. I went to a vegetarian healthy lifestyle (I know a couple 400 lb vegetarians. You can be a bread, cheese, and pasta vegetarian) and went from being on the heart transplant list to the 99th percentile for heart health. I no longer have diabetes and even when I get heavy for my standards I never make it to obese.
The truth is that you can eat healthy and be healthy and not be vegetarian but I have my doubts about how healthy you can be eating a heavily processed foods diet.
I am a vegetarian from my own convictions that nothing should suffer for unnecessarily and no children in far off lands should starve to death for my gluttony. I try to maintain a diet that is 90% locally grown, organic, non gmo, and vegetarian.
I can't pretend to be perfect because I sometimes have client lunches or dinner with friends so I do get non organic and maybe even some gmos in my diet but I try to maintain a 90/10 balance.

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
lisa127 said:
Humans are omnivores, but I'm not sure that all this meat is what we're supposed to be eating. Our digestive systems (length of intestines) are certainly not suited to digesting all this meat. And we do not have the teeth of carnivores. Other primates (also omnivores) eat a diet that is about 90 percent vegetation. The 10 percent protein is usually insects.

Our canines are designed for eating meat and our molars and premolars are deigned for eating vegetation.

I prefer bacon to insects, myself, but I'd probably be healthier if I ate less bacon and more veggies.

I've also seen lots of video coverage where chimpanzees hunt, kill, and eat smaller animals. They're not just eating insects out there.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Chimps do occassionally eat smaller animals. Often, it is insects though. And other primates eat insects. I'm not saying any of us want to eat insects. I'm saying that is usually the protein part of the diet for other primates. We for some reason believe we are supposed to eat cows and pigs, and have a high percentage of protein in our diet.

Look in the mirror....your canine teeth hardly look very carnivorous.

Status
Not open for further replies.