Does my screen blocks UVB from SUN?

JLOx

Location (City and/or State)
Manila
Hi Guys,

I'm getting a sulcata hatchling tortoise and I have a few questions. I'm living in the Philippines a tropical country. (Dry season currently with a temp ranging from 29C to 35C)

1. I'm thinking to put my sulcata in this spot. Since the afternoon sun directly hits my windows, is it a good choice? Also, does my screen blocks the UVB?

WhatsApp Image 2021-04-02 at 9.37.23 PM.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2021-04-02 at 9.37.04 PM.jpeg

2. In the meantime, I'm thinking to use this under-bed plastic storage with the bedding of cocopeat and the top layer is the Zoo Med forest floor.

WhatsApp Image 2021-04-02 at 9.41.24 PM.jpeg

Feel free to hit the comment section for suggestions.
TIA!

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2021-04-02 at 9.37.23 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2021-04-02 at 9.37.23 PM.jpeg
    159.9 KB · Views: 8

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Screen does indeed block uv.
So does glass.
In fact, a glass window with a screen probably blocks out nearly all uv.
Just the screen is probably at least 50%. But it's just a guess without a UVB meter.

Attachments

• 20201008_132710.jpg
    20201008_132710.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 6

JLOx

Manila
Screen does indeed block uv.
So does glass.
In fact, a glass window with a screen probably blocks out nearly all uv.
Just the screen is probably at least 50%. But it's just a guess without a UVB meter.
Thank you for your answer.

Glass window is open actually each side so there is no blocking of glass.
Lets say 50% of uvb is being blocked by screen, is it still good i mean if they bask a little longer?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Thank you for your answer.

Glass window is open actually each side so there is no blocking of glass.
Lets say 50% of uvb is being blocked by screen, is it still good i mean if they bask a little longer?
It's just a guess.
Right now in south Florida the UVB level is 3.4.
50% of that is 1.7. That's not much at all. And the 50% is a guess, remember.
How much outside time can you provide?
I think that's the key. Actual outdoors sunlight.
Otherwise you'll need to purchase a T5 strip florescent UVB light tube.
We have other members who know much more about Sulcata than I do.
Hopefully someone can give you more specific information on how much uv your tort requires.
Keep in mind though that a baby Sulcata needs high humidity.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
We really don't know how much UVB a tortoise needs. With the window you show the screen will block quite a bit. The material of the screen looks thicker than most screens I see. Plus, the sun will be passing through the screen a quite an angle to the screen when the sun is higher. I would guess more than 60%. And as the sun get lower in the sky, the UVB level drops significantly, so you will be getting lower UVB levels. However, I think that will be enough for a sulcata, depending upon how the enclosure is positioned. But outdoor time a few times a week - doing the daily Soak in warm water in 1/2 sun 1/2 shade outside would be a great approach to getting UVB.

The plastic storage bin is way too small for even a baby sulcata. I start all my baby sulcatas in a 36"x48" enclosure. You also will want to have an enclosed setup to keep humidity at 90% and above for your tortoise. Even though you are in the Phillipines, the humidity in an enclosure with lights on is much different than the humidity reading the weather report says it is outside. Be sure to provide lots of plants for hiding spots and humidity retention for your baby.

Have you read the care sheet for sulcatas?

Please read that and come back with any more questions.

JLOx

Manila
We really don't know how much UVB a tortoise needs. With the window you show the screen will block quite a bit. The material of the screen looks thicker than most screens I see. Plus, the sun will be passing through the screen a quite an angle to the screen when the sun is higher. I would guess more than 60%. And as the sun get lower in the sky, the UVB level drops significantly, so you will be getting lower UVB levels. However, I think that will be enough for a sulcata, depending upon how the enclosure is positioned. But outdoor time a few times a week - doing the daily Soak in warm water in 1/2 sun 1/2 shade outside would be a great approach to getting UVB.

The plastic storage bin is way too small for even a baby sulcata. I start all my baby sulcatas in a 36"x48" enclosure. You also will want to have an enclosed setup to keep humidity at 90% and above for your tortoise. Even though you are in the Phillipines, the humidity in an enclosure with lights on is much different than the humidity reading the weather report says it is outside. Be sure to provide lots of plants for hiding spots and humidity retention for your baby.

Have you read the care sheet for sulcatas?

Please read that and come back with any more questions.
Thank you, will read this now! :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I was going to say what Mark said.

Outside all day for babies is not good. Not in any climate. Its not even good for them in their native land due to the constraints of the enclosure. Babies do best when started mostly indoors in warm humid conditions, with daily soaks and a basking bulb to warm up under.

Luzmary Holt

Camarillo
Hi Guys,

I'm getting a sulcata hatchling tortoise and I have a few questions. I'm living in the Philippines a tropical country. (Dry season currently with a temp ranging from 29C to 35C)

1. I'm thinking to put my sulcata in this spot. Since the afternoon sun directly hits my windows, is it a good choice? Also, does my screen blocks the UVB?

View attachment 322306
View attachment 322309

2. In the meantime, I'm thinking to use this under-bed plastic storage with the bedding of cocopeat and the top layer is the Zoo Med forest floor.

View attachment 322307e go

Feel free to hit the comment section for suggestions.
TIA!
Hi Tia, I have a sulcata, he is 3 1/2years old, 20" long 14" across and 25lbs. My thoughts are; the area that you have will be good for a couple of years but after that you will need a bigger area. Good luck

JLOx

Manila
Thank you all for your advice, I've already upgraded my enclosure with this.
It's L91 x W49 x H38 cm.

I've had her outside under the sun for at least 30mins.

(I'm still waiting for my other peripherals to arrive)

WhatsApp Image 2021-04-05 at 11.08.41 AM.jpeg