Favorites

WhitneyO

Location (City and/or State)
Florence, AL
Oh no, please do not misunderstand me. Sorry about that. I did not know that you had other pets. I was asking whether you'd like to have other pets besides the tort. And you confirmed that you do. ;) Goodness! That must be a lot of hard work, is it not?:rolleyes:
Lol well it is but I work at home and I get to give my animals attention all day. My cats are typical cats. They take care of themselves. My dog is an Australian shepherd and very smart but very needy. My passion has always been reptiles but after getting my first tortoise I have now fell in love and want them all. Lol

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Lol well it is but I work at home and I get to give my animals attention all day. My cats are typical cats. They take care of themselves. My dog is an Australian shepherd and very smart but very needy. My passion has always been reptiles but after getting my first tortoise I have now fell in love and want them all. Lol
Good luck! :D I was thinking of getting a cat/kitten, but changed my mind for the following reasons:

a) I do not think I have enough space. I live in a flat.
b) I always thought: "What if the cat harms/hurts Oli?" I'd probably KILL him/her! :( So I decided to remain of the safe side. Better be safe than sorry.

WhitneyO

Florence, AL
Very true! One of my cats could care less about my Dori. But my other one likes to snuggle up to her and it scares me so I have to watch her closely.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Very true! One of my cats could care less about my Dori. But my other one likes to snuggle up to her and it scares me so I have to watch her closely.
See? that's exactly what I meant. ;) Cats can be "mean" and even cunning. :( Do you agree, seeing to the fact that you have two?

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Cats, mean? We are talking about those purring, head butting, attention seeking, lap warming, balls of fur?
Yep. Cats can be- I REPEAT- can be mean and cunning.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I have two favorites - three toed box turtles and Manouria emys phayrei. Both those species are very people oriented. When I step into the box turtle yard they lift their heads WA-A-AY up and just keep their eyes on me to see what I'm doing in their yard. Then I have to be careful where I step so I don't step on one.

The Manouria are the same only in a bigger (much bigger) body. In their case, I have to be careful one of them doesn't take a bite out of my leg (they look to me as being food, rather than being the food goddess).

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Which species of the ones you own, are in your opinion the easiest to deal with?
All my torts are treated the same . They all need water and food and sun . They are my children . It's like asking witch is Easyer boys or girls they both have their ways of doing things but it's all the same in the end . And I'm blessed that my wife loves me enough to let me have them all . And I'm blessed to have the TFO to help when needed .

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
I only have Speedy my Sulcata . He is so cool , I could sit and watch him all day ! He is very friendly and personable , and follows me all over his pen looking for handouts ! ;)

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
Goodness! At least somebody has understood what I said! :)
I can't let this go, there are no bad cats, just cats in bad circumstances. You got to take that from the cats POV, not yours.

The number of homes I visited where the owner would tell me watch out, our cat bites and scratches, and the genuine amazement they had on their face when I walk over to the cat pet it pick it up and have it purring, all as a first time meeting, indicates to me there are many non-cat people who have cats, for some reason.

Even outdoor cats more often than not will risk whatever they think they are risking and walk up to me and let me pet them.

I really wish I could have had that effect on women, but that's another matter entirely. There is that meme out there that if your dog does not like someone you probably should not like them either. For me it's cats.

Yeah, I know this is a favorite species of tortoise thread, but I did not bring that cat indoors.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
My Tidgy.
My perfect little girl.
Therefore Greek tortoises, also because we had two from when i was a tiny child and I have fond memories of those two as I grew up and through into my twenties.