ZenHerper

Location (City and/or State)
New Jersey
I would be concerned about an excess of synthetic Vitamin A from eye drops...discontinue those for 2 weeks and see what happens.

Describe your entire set up, including size, temps, filter & cleaning routine, foods and feeding routine.
Photos of set up are helpful.

noblequintin

Caldwell Idaho
I should be getting bigger tank next month. One decoration which is in the middle it’s a rock for basking . Filter next to it and heater in the corner

noblequintin

Caldwell Idaho
I would be concerned about an excess of synthetic Vitamin A from eye drops...discontinue those for 2 weeks and see what happens.

Describe your entire set up, including size, temps, filter & cleaning routine, foods and feeding routine.
Photos of set up are helpful.
Could it be stress on the foot from the antibiotic shots she been getting I’m going to the vet today every three days for shots I’ll ask for her opinion as well but no certain without test they don’t have

ZenHerper

New Jersey
These morphs are like little drops of sunlight! lol

If the vet or tech is wrestling with that foot during treatments, then yes...this skin could be damaged. It's very soft and tender on turtles.

If the pellets are fortified with Vitamin A, don't use the drops. Some brands are better quality than others. I prefer Omega Juvenile (tiny) or Cobalt (large) brands, but even the Reptomin Baby pellets are fortified.

If you are feeding out of the water, wet the pellets thoroughly...water turtles don't have saliva and use water to help propel food down the throat.

What is the vet treating and what is the antibiotic?

Antibiotics will strip the digestive flora...use a replacement paste during and for a month after drug treatment:

noblequintin

Caldwell Idaho

If the vet or tech is wrestling with that foot during treatments, then yes...this skin could be damaged. It's very soft and tender on turtles.

If the pellets are fortified with Vitamin A, don't use the drops. Some brands are better quality than others. I prefer Omega Juvenile (tiny) or Cobalt (large) brands, but even the Reptomin Baby pellets are fortified.

If you are feeding out of the water, wet the pellets thoroughly...water turtles don't have saliva and use water to help propel food down the throat.

Antibiotics will strip the digestive flora...use a replacement paste during and for a month after drug treatment:
This is very helpful info thank you . I’ll ask the vet I’m pretty sure the shell dryness was from a lack of water cuz all she did was bask when she was sick.
And I let the food soak all the way cuz she has a hard time feedjng hard food

noblequintin

Caldwell Idaho

UPDATE! Found out my heater was off for who knows how long she probably moved it and pulled it out my plugs very loose! Could be bacterial now will ask vet

ZenHerper

New Jersey
UPDATE! Found out my heater was off for who knows how long she probably moved it and pulled it out my plugs very loose! Could be bacterial now will ask vet
Well, there may not necessarily be a bacterial infection, but low water temps will make a small turtle avoid swimming/soaking/sleeping in it. And yes, excessive dryness will cause a lot of problems inside and out.

Dehydration can account for most, if not all, of the symptoms that make people (and vets) think a turtle is suffering from an infection. Antibiotic treatment can make this worse since the kidneys are too dried out to process the drug effectively.

Once the temp comes back up, and s/he starts spending most of the time in the water, start dropping the pellets on the surface. Otherwise soak them thoroughly before feeding (or feed in a pan of warm shallow water).

Does this veterinary office see turtles a lot? (At least weekly?) If not, they may be shooting from the hip with treatments and recommendations.

noblequintin

Caldwell Idaho
She’s been swimming everyday since no symptom of respitory infection and I’d raise the water temp to 80 to make her swim a lil more and then she slowly recovered. She stopped breathing aganolly/mouth breathing , stop sneezing , stopped wheezing / stopped swimming lopsided. So I’m pretty happy with that but worried about the foot now

noblequintin

Caldwell Idaho
Well, there may not necessarily be a bacterial infection, but low water temps will make a small turtle avoid swimming/soaking/sleeping in it. And yes, excessive dryness will cause a lot of problems inside and out.

Dehydration can account for most, if not all, of the symptoms that make people (and vets) think a turtle is suffering from an infection. Antibiotic treatment can make this worse since the kidneys are too dried out to process the drug effectively.

Once the temp comes back up, and s/he starts spending most of the time in the water, start dropping the pellets on the surface. Otherwise soak them thoroughly before feeding (or feed in a pan of warm shallow water).

Does this veterinary office see turtles a lot? (At least weekly?) If not, they may be shooting from the hip with treatments and recommendations.
They do have pictures from the yurts and torts very cute

ZenHerper

New Jersey
She’s been swimming everyday since no symptom of respitory infection and I’d raise the water temp to 80 to make her swim a lil more and then she slowly recovered. She stopped breathing aganolly/mouth breathing , stop sneezing , stopped wheezing / stopped swimming lopsided. So I’m pretty happy with that but worried about the foot now
Yeah, I would ask that they be particularly careful to avoid handling that foot at the vet's office.

But stop the Vitamin A eye drops...an overdose can cause skin to slough off. This is a very wee animal and a fortified pellet should be sufficient.

noblequintin

Caldwell Idaho
Yeah, I would ask that they be particularly careful to avoid handling that foot at the vet's office.

But stop the Vitamin A eye drops...an overdose can cause skin to slough off. This is a very wee animal and a fortified pellet should be sufficient.
Not only top but bottom of foot now red and bottom is starting to bubble at the claws need advice ASAP TAKING TO VET TMRW

noblequintin

Caldwell Idaho

Attachments

• 04449517-00E5-43F4-A8EC-210247256BF6.jpeg
    04449517-00E5-43F4-A8EC-210247256BF6.jpeg
    33.3 KB · Views: 6
  • 7D2D50AB-B03E-4C63-B9DB-8050B1AE40FA.jpeg
    7D2D50AB-B03E-4C63-B9DB-8050B1AE40FA.jpeg
    51 KB · Views: 6

noblequintin

Caldwell Idaho
The other day my turtle had a redness in the top of her foot now it’s in the bottom and swollen at the tip please help she’s just getting over a respitory infection with antibiotics 715E6F29-1477-42BC-BA2B-FBB99E426FE3.jpeg789D36F8-B486-43F4-8F12-1E36145161C5.jpeg