DesertGirl

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Fabulous Las Vegas, NV
Hi all!

Little update on my little bean.

When I first got Tortillini I was feeding him a diet of mostly grocery store greens. The occasional tortoise pellets soaked and mixed in. Mostly escarole, chicory, some spring mix, small amount of red and green lettuce maybe some spinach, some turnip or collard greens... basically whatever I read on these forums that was okay to serve.

Now that most of my seed mixes and plants have started to grow in TORTILLINI HAS EVOLVED into the next stage of his life.

First we started with the broadleaf and testudo mixes. He kinda shunned them at first, so I would mix them in with escarole or chicory (his fave) and he would slightly nibble on the homemade stuff. It was super frustrating though because he mostly only seemed to wanna eat the grocery store stuff.

Then I introduced hostas to him. The ones I started growing are tiny and inferior to the ones my mom has growing in her garden, so I opted for those. They were HUGE compared to mine. He was slow to them but now LOVES them.

Exhibit A- View attachment 296526

Seeing him eat these was super inspiring to me because I feel like this was his first big step transcending to the world of non grocery store greens.

I read on here mulberry leaves and the spineless cactus pads are also super good for russians so I scoured all the markets around me for the cactus pads but no luck rip. Also I can’t find a mulberry tree??? anywhere in my yard. So I ordered these cactus pads off etsy, 200+ 5 star reviews and pictures of other little torts enjoying these pads, so I bough them.

Safe to say, he’s loVING THEM.

Exhibit B- View attachment 296527

When I bring him his food in the morning I usually hand feed him whatever new piece I have with me or his favorite green. It’s cool cause now he starts seeing me as the food bearer and will walk over to me every morning. It’s really the only time in the day I get to spend with him because I leave for work and he’s usually asleep when I come home at the end of the night. After I hand feed him one or two things, I set his food pile down and he’ll go to eat that.

Okay last thing. I have no idea what the heck or where the heck mulberry trees are. Research still pending. In the meantime I bought some off ebay and let me tell you... this little guy LOVES THEM.

Exhibit C-
View attachment 296528

I’m just really excited because i’ve gone from about 100% of his diet being grocery store greens to about 25%. He now eats a healthy portion of weeds and leaves, and now cactus pads too! I’m hoping to find a more sustainable place to get cactus pads from as well as the mulberry leaves. Perhaps I’ll trying growing the pads but we’ll see.

-Julia R (Happy tort mom who feels like one of those moms who gets their kids to eat brocolli for the first time)
Find a Mexican grocery store. They have cactus pads. One pad is less than a dollar. Good luck.

DesertGirl

5 Year Member
Fabulous Las Vegas, NV
That would be amazing, I’ll try and track some down. Thank you for the suggestion :)
Yeah, they’re right they in the product section, just loose pads lying there. Might be a stretch finding in CT! I’m in NV. Good luck. Our little girl (hit 5 lbs yesterday!) loves them and I don’t say that about everything!

Sue Ann

chapin , South Carolina
Hi I've also thought about growing the spineless prickly pear cactus but it takes like 7 years for them to grow from seeds to editable plants so don't feel alone I've been looking for mths and can't find them anywhere but on line
Take some of the cactus pads from you order and stick them in the yard in dirt. I have been doing that and mine are starting to grow pads and fruit. It has taken 9 months but it’s worth it.

Tarac

Panama City, Fl
Hi all!

When I first got Tortillini I was feeding him a diet of mostly grocery store greens. The occasional tortoise pellets soaked and mixed in. Mostly escarole, chicory, some spring mix, small amount of red and green lettuce maybe some spinach, some turnip or collard greens... basically whatever I read on these forums that was okay to serve.

Now that most of my seed mixes and plants have started to grow in TORTILLINI HAS EVOLVED into the next stage of his life.

First we started with the broadleaf and testudo mixes. He kinda shunned them at first, so I would mix them in with escarole or chicory (his fave) and he would slightly nibble on the homemade stuff. It was super frustrating though because he mostly only seemed to wanna eat the grocery store stuff.

Then I introduced hostas to him. The ones I started growing are tiny and inferior to the ones my mom has growing in her garden, so I opted for those. They were HUGE compared to mine. He was slow to them but now LOVES them.

Seeing him eat these was super inspiring to me because I feel like this was his first big step transcending to the world of non grocery store greens.

I read on here mulberry leaves and the spineless cactus pads are also super good for russians so I scoured all the markets around me for the cactus pads but no luck rip. Also I can’t find a mulberry tree??? anywhere in my yard. So I ordered these cactus pads off etsy, 200+ 5 star reviews and pictures of other little torts enjoying these pads, so I bough them.

When I bring him his food in the morning I usually hand feed him whatever new piece I have with me or his favorite green. It’s cool cause now he starts seeing me as the food bearer and will walk over to me every morning. It’s really the only time in the day I get to spend with him because I leave for work and he’s usually asleep when I come home at the end of the night. After I hand feed him one or two things, I set his food pile down and he’ll go to eat that.

Okay last thing. I have no idea what the heck or where the heck mulberry trees are. Research still pending. In the meantime I bought some off ebay and let me tell you... this little guy LOVES THEM.

Exhibit C-
View attachment 296528

I’m just really excited because i’ve gone from about 100% of his diet being grocery store greens to about 25%. He now eats a healthy portion of weeds and leaves, and now cactus pads too! I’m hoping to find a more sustainable place to get cactus pads from as well as the mulberry leaves. Perhaps I’ll trying growing the pads but we’ll see.

-Julia R (Happy tort mom who feels like one of those moms who gets their kids to eat brocolli for the first time)

My hatchling loves cactus pads too, but can’t find them. Can u post the link to the Etsy page pleases? We r still on 100% grocery, at 3-4 months. And only 22g.

turtlebean

Connecticut
My hatchling loves cactus pads too, but can’t find them. Can u post the link to the Etsy page pleases? We r still on 100% grocery, at 3-4 months. And only 22g.

This is the etsy page and seller I bought from, he’s sold out now but hopefully he restocks soon! There might have been some other sellers on there you could check out, I hope that helps!
E1E49F54-6769-4073-B444-EF03771932DE.png

Braeden p

Pottstown PA
I’m gonna keep trying to incorporate more and more healthy things into his diet! If anyone has any other suggestions, let me know, i’m super down to try them!

If only Tortillini liked his weed mixes as much as he liked his cactus pads:rolleyes:
Cut up the cactus and mix it with weeds that gets Betty to eat weeds and I add some carrot sticks do she will eat it.

evansmom

Pacifica, CA
Hi all!

Exhibit C-
View attachment 296528

The cactus pads are SO easy to grow! I started with ONE pad and now have a ton of cacti from the one pad. As soon as the first one had a few "ears," I detached one and stuck it into soil mix it took right away. Our climate is not particularly warm and we get morning sunshine and late afternoon sunshine. The garden is full of what we call "mickey mouse" cactus (after all, isn't opuntia or nopales harder to say than mickey mouse?" You do have to watch out for the little spines that are almost invisible. When I harvest a new pad, I usually use a folded up newspaper that I wrap around the pad to twist it off. I did buy the first pad from Carolina Pet Supply, but you might be able to find it elsewhere.

Warren

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Balto. MD
The cactus pads are SO easy to grow! I started with ONE pad and now have a ton of cacti from the one pad. As soon as the first one had a few "ears," I detached one and stuck it into soil mix it took right away. Our climate is not particularly warm and we get morning sunshine and late afternoon sunshine. The garden is full of what we call "mickey mouse" cactus (after all, isn't opuntia or nopales harder to say than mickey mouse?" You do have to watch out for the little spines that are almost invisible. When I harvest a new pad, I usually use a folded up newspaper that I wrap around the pad to twist it off. I did buy the first pad from Carolina Pet Supply, but you might be able to find it elsewhere.
A few years ago I was looking for spineless cactus to plant for my tortoise here in Baltimore, had trouble at that time to fine some. I found a neighbor who had some cactus with thorns and gave me 3 pads, starting them in a bucket of water. In a few days they started showing new roots, so I just layed them down on some soft soil and kept watering everyday. The only thing I dont like is being stuck with thorns with it time to cut Sammy some new fresh pads.20200607_143848.jpgThis picture was taken this morning, this will be this plant 3rd summer. I surprise that the cactus survived through winter, but as you can see that there is plenty for my Sulcata. He just passed the 17 lbs. mark.

turtlebean

Connecticut
A few years ago I was looking for spineless cactus to plant for my tortoise here in Baltimore, had trouble at that time to fine some. I found a neighbor who had some cactus with thorns and gave me 3 pads, starting them in a bucket of water. In a few days they started showing new roots, so I just layed them down on some soft soil and kept watering everyday. The only thing I dont like is being stuck with thorns with it time to cut Sammy some new fresh pads.View attachment 296738This picture was taken this morning, this will be this plant 3rd summer. I surprise that the cactus survived through winter, but as you can see that there is plenty for my Sulcata. He just passed the 17 lbs. mark.
That is so cool and inspiring to see! I think i’m gonna try and grow some this week and maybe one day i’ll have a little cacti garden like that too☺️

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga

junebugsmom

10 Year Member!
Orlando Florida
I have tons of cactus pads that grow in my yard. If anyone wants some I'm happy to send it if you pay for the postage.

L

LasTortugasNinja

Congrats on the evolution! Once you get the final form, Torterra, you are ready for the Pokemon League!

Sorry... my daughter drags me out to go Pokemon hunting still... it's affected my brain. ;)