Pretend Chat 2.14

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
Another beautiful sunny morning here. Won't be 70 like yesterday and the wind will be back, still a beauiful day, especially with all you TFOers chatting.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Good morning Jacqui and crew. I was up late trying to help a couple with their baby. He was trying to scratch his eyes and they said he stopped eating. It turns out that, I believe, the tort swallowed a tiny twig from his substrate and after a couple of hours with the initial symptoms, he looked like he was gasping for air. Oh boy, am I worried! I've seen that before and if that obstruction isn't removed, well you know. Besides that, after a warm soak in Pedialyte and carrot baby food, it appeared the baby took in some water and, last I heard, the couple said when looking in his mouth for any obstruction, they saw bubbles:( Last night they put their poor, tired, and stressed baby to sleep. I haven't heard from them since. I'm hoping they took him to the vet.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
My parents have two vacuums. My mom swears by her new fancy canister vac and my dad still uses the Kirby that they got in 1985 when they were married. I remember being terrified of that thing. It was so powerful you could probably suck a golf ball through a garden hose with it.

Kirby is supposed to be one of the best. I would have bought a Kirby instead of the Dyson, except I couldn't afford it. 20 or 30 years ago Kirby had a sales gimmick where they'd come clean your carpet after they demonstrated their vacuum. I took them up on the offer and had them do my bedroom. I was supposed to first vacuum the bedroom carpet with my vacuum (I don't remember what I had in those days), then they would re-vacuum with a Kirby. They had a special machine that didn't take all the dirt up into a bag, but captured it in some sort of little thing where they could actually show us how much more they were getting out of the carpet. I went over my carpet a couple of times, and then they vacuumed. It was amazing the amount of sand and dirt that Kirby pulled up out of the "clean" carpet. Absolutely amazing. That's been my dream machine ever since. But they're way too expensive.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Sounds more like a respiratory infection. The tortoise brushes at his face with a R.I. too.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Good morning ! How's everyone doing ? It's Friday ! Roller derby Houston tomorrow ! Love me some roller derby .

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Kirby is supposed to be one of the best. I would have bought a Kirby instead of the Dyson, except I couldn't afford it. 20 or 30 years ago Kirby had a sales gimmick where they'd come clean your carpet after they demonstrated their vacuum. I took them up on the offer and had them do my bedroom. I was supposed to first vacuum the bedroom carpet with my vacuum (I don't remember what I had in those days), then they would re-vacuum with a Kirby. They had a special machine that didn't take all the dirt up into a bag, but captured it in some sort of little thing where they could actually show us how much more they were getting out of the carpet. I went over my carpet a couple of times, and then they vacuumed. It was amazing the amount of sand and dirt that Kirby pulled up out of the "clean" carpet. Absolutely amazing. That's been my dream machine ever since. But they're way too expensive.
Well, I may gift one to you when I die. It's only about two years old and my husband hates it. Now that only my bedrooms have carpet, I never use I anymore. What a waste! But, when I die, if you still want it, I'll have it sent to you.

Last edited:

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Sounds more like a respiratory infection. The tortoise brushes at his face with a R.I. too.
But there were videos that he captured where the baby's eyes were shut and he was attempting to walk and instead was staggering and plopping instead. He couldn't walk straight and his head was drooped at times.

Then during the soak, his mouth started to open and close. His substrate did had tiny pieces of twigs in it.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Good morning ! How's everyone doing ? It's Friday ! Roller derby Houston tomorrow ! Love me some roller derby .

Roller derby used to be terribly popular back when I was younger. Then for years and years I never heard much about it. It seems to be gaining in popularity once again.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Well, I may gift one to you when I die. It's only about two years old and my husband hayes it. Now that only my bedrooms have carpet, I never use I anymore. What a waste! But, when I die, if you still want it, I'll have it sent to you.

Of course! But chances are pretty good I won't be around anymore once you've hit the big one.

Maybe I can buy it from you now. I wonder what shipping would be on an item like that. And how would one package it. Hm-m-m-m

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Of course! But chances are pretty good I won't be around anymore once you've hit the big one.
Not really. I'm so sick that I may die sooner than you think. Anyhow, let's just see and wait on that. Besides, my mil also bought one a year before I did and if she kicks the bucket and you're still here, it's yours.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It's going to be another beautiful, sunny day here in Central Calif. Not a cloud in the sky. Close to 70 the next three days, then close to 80 for many days after that. I guess spring has sprung here in my neck of the woods. Glad I'm feeling better. This is my kind of weather. Just right for working outside! And I'd much rather work outside than in.

I'll run errands this a.m. soon as the stores open, then, hopefully I'll have enough get up and go to go outside and see what trouble I can get into. I still have to get the leaves off the roof of the garage.

I'd really like to buy a small riding mower. But I can't afford a new one and hate to get cheated buying a used one. As tall as the grass is in all the tortoise yards, my Weed Eater is going to be getting quite a work-out in the near future.

I'm also going to try real hard to start walking the pasture again. I think that's the way I'm going to build my stamina back up.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
well la dee da aren't we all fancy with R clean rooms huh?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I cook using the four major food groups . canned,,frozen, bag and box

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth

That's the worst thing about carpet and why I can't have it in my house; knowing there always be some dirt underneath it that you can't get to.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
Back when I first bought my house, before I ripped the carpet up, I thought about a central vacuum but wisely decided it was too much work.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Back when I first bought my house, before I ripped the carpet up, I thought about a central vacuum but wisely decided it was too much work.

That was truly wise bc most people are liking the hard floors now. I have tiles, some that look like wood. If it weren't because I don't see how I can move my bedroom furniture into another room so that tiles could be installed, I would have a carpet -free house!

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
Happy Friday chatters!!

I spent a wonderful day at Disneyland yesterday with the family and my sister in law!
It rained the entire drive up but stopped when we parked! It turned out to be a gorgeous long day!
Now that the kids are older, one day just isn't long enough!

I love Pirate's and Indiana Jones!
What's your favorite ride?

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Happy Friday chatters!!

I spent a wonderful day at Disneyland yesterday with the family and my sister in law!
It rained the entire drive up but stopped when we parked! It turned out to be a gorgeous long day!
Now that the kids are older, one day just isn't long enough!

I love Pirate's and Indiana Jones!
What's your favorite ride?
The tea cup ride ;P I can't do the risky rides anymore. I use to be such a daredevil when I was younger. Don't know where my lion's courage went.