Pretend Chat 2.14

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
Happy Tuesday, everyone. Tonight is NCIS! I've got a nice fire going in the wood stove and it's trying real hard to warm up this cold, cold house.

Misty is almost back to good. She uses her rear leg more often than not. Yesterday when I was walking my laps she tried to encourage me into playing with her, but even though it seems as though SHE didn't learn HER lesson, I certainly did. No running around like a crazy person for her, no sir.

My agenda today consists of leaves. Today I'm dedicating my morning to getting up the leaves in the leopard tortoise yard. And speaking of the leopard tortoise yard, the seeds I planted in the new yard extension are coming along great. I bought several packets of these:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0087D04VW/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

and tossed them all over the new portion of the leopard yard and they're coming up nicely. I also tossed a mixture of winter forage and it's coming up too. Will is coming in January to help me build the fence and open up the old fence so the tortoises can go in the new portion, and it looks like the grass and weeds will be ready for when he gets here.

So, that's what's on my agenda for today. What do you all have planned?

let's see, ummm work.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
As I said, I've got a nice fire going in the wood stove, however, there's such a cold draft coming from the window. My computer is right in front of a big bay window. I've got rigid foam covering that window (that's why I have sheets showing from the outside:

View attachment 195201

A colorful, flowered sheet, then the rigid foam, then my nice draperies), but all that is still allowing a big cold draft to come in and lay down on my legs. I'm going to have to sit here at the computer with a shawl on my legs like gramma.

well you are a Gramma

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
My day is coming to an end... it's nearly dark (3.45pm)

My day hasn't been very exciting:
I did all the ironing and then went shopping for brussels sprouts and parsnips (traditional UK Christmas dinner accompaniments). And I still can't find that dead mouse in the garage; it still stinks out there :(

Have not sold any parsnips here yet for Christmas.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
See how much she loves me? She wouldn't spit on me if I was on fire........I tried to hug her when I was leaving last time, and she stiffen up so much I was afraid she was gonna break. Needless to say, we don't hug. No physical signs of affection. We learned it from our parents. I personally learned how to hug in AA. So I am not like her, I will hug.

I myself am not a hugger either.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I live right next to a grass seed farmer, and I'm more in the country then not. The cable guy hadda come fix my modem, but instead it was a line, so he went under my house. Comes out and says"hey lady, there's about 20 dead rats down there." I watch rats as big as house cats walk across the yard in the day time!. Just as sleet and clean as can be but.....so frankly I poison them daily, the smell goes away in about 5 days. You'll notice it less and less. With my big rats it's about 2 weeks. Burn some incense or scented candles in there. When the neighbors on either side are gone my friend brings a couple 22's and we have target practice on them.

I hate wild rats

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Staple some clear plastic on the outside of the window, staple it good so there's no spaces or holes. We do that at the beginning of winter up here, and I even have double paned (sp?) windows. But that should help.

Yeah, right. . . as if the look of the sheets on the window isn't bad enough for the front of the house, now you want me to staple plastic on it too?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Have not sold any parsnips here yet for Christmas.

I tried a parsnip one time in my stew along with the other veggies, and I can't say I was very thrilled with it.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I tried a parsnip one time in my stew along with the other veggies, and I can't say I was very thrilled with it.
They tend to take over the flavour of everything else if you cook them in things.

They're best roasted in a pan in the oven, like roast potatoes.

They come out really crisp and sweet. Yum! :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
So I chopped up all the greens and veggies, added water to some Zoo Med Tortoise Pellets, added a dash of calcium powder and mixed it all up. Got all the tortoise food put into the dish pans to carry outside, opened the door and looked out. It's foggy as hell and cold - br-r-r-r-r. Needless to say, I came back in here by the fire. The tortoises will just have to wait an hour or so for breakfast and lights.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
So I chopped up all the greens and veggies, added water to some Zoo Med Tortoise Pellets, added a dash of calcium powder and mixed it all up. Got all the tortoise food put into the dish pans to carry outside, opened the door and looked out. It's foggy as hell and cold - br-r-r-r-r. Needless to say, I came back in here by the fire. The tortoises will just have to wait an hour or so for breakfast and lights.
You should get some timers for those lights Yvonne ;)

(Can you be banned for cheeking a moderator? If so, have a good Christmas y'all :D )

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
They're all on timers, but I still go out and open the doors and double check everything is working properly. And please - 'cheek' all you want. Sometimes I feel people are afraid to tell me when I've said something wrong. No one should ever feel that way. I'm learning just as the rest of you are.

M

Maggie Cummings

I just love this picture:

1-photo-u1.jpg

I don't know why I can't ever have an unusual looking cat show up on my doorstep. I only ever get the run of the mill colors.

Holy cats Batman!!!!!

M

Maggie Cummings

You should get some timers for those lights Yvonne ;)

(Can you be banned for cheeking a moderator? If so, have a good Christmas y'all :D )

You know I don't have any filters, so I am constantly in moderator trouble, yet (and I know they all hate this part) I'm still here. Yvonne and most of the moderators are pretty fair. And you can't insult Yvonne (if that's what cheeking is). She's confident in herself and one of the most fair people you'll ever meet.
So you got to know that there's nothing you can say that I haven't said already. Bet I have the record for warnings.
So don't worry about being cheeky to super moderator, she can take a joke and give it back........I like that word. Is that really what you wanted to type? Or was it a miss strike? I think I'm pretty cheeky....lol

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Holy cats Batman!!!!!

Actually, while he's awfully cute, and I'd love to have him, I'm really glad most of the foundlings that come here are short hair. I used to have this one:

bear 18 yr old.jpg

That's Bear Boy. He was 18 years old in that picture. No tail. But that hair was like cotton candy. So soft and fine. And MATS!!!! I spent at least 15 minutes every other day or so cutting out the mats and trying to comb that awful, soft hair. Thankfully all my cats now are short hairs.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Looks like the sun is starting to peek through the fog. Time for me to go.