Pretend Chat 2.14

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
California
It was pretty busy in town here too. The line at the post office was not quite around the block, but it was backed up to the door. And the traffic!!!!
I would think it is too late to ship anything and expect it to get there by Christmas unless you are shipping it express. I hate going to the post office. Thankfully, they will pick stuff up from my home. If I have to go, I'll go Farmersville. We're not that far away. No one ever goes there.

We went to Fresno today for lunch. It was probably not a great idea because of the rain and traffic.

Is Maggie in town yet? Does the train go to Fresno, or did she have to go to Hanford?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
When will you be going to see Maggie? Plus how is Misty today?

I don't know where her son lives, so I'll have to hear from her soon or I won't know where to go. I'm going after lunch. Misty is almost back to normal. She still 'skips' occasionally, but mostly she's 4-legged once again.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I would think it is too late to ship anything and expect it to get there by Christmas unless you are shipping it express. I hate going to the post office. Thankfully, they will pick stuff up from my home. If I have to go, I'll go Farmersville. We're not that far away. No one ever goes there.

We went to Fresno today for lunch. It was probably not a great idea because of the rain and traffic.

Is Maggie in town yet? Does the train go to Fresno, or did she have to go to Hanford?

I haven't heard from her, but I know she arrives sometime today. Yes, we have a train depot here in Fresno.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It was rainy all day yesterday and today the air is crisp and clear, with a nice, bright sun shining down. What little bit of frost there was overnight was turned to steam as soon as the sun started to warm it up. It always looks a bit strange seeing steam rising from my fence.

I don't have any big outdoor plans for today. I'll feed and water the critters, maybe pick up a few leaves to put in the box turtle yard, but then I think I'll just sit around and vegetate. I'll call Maggie in an hour or so and get her son's address.

Anybody have big Christmas Eve plans?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
It was rainy all day yesterday and today the air is crisp and clear, with a nice, bright sun shining down. What little bit of frost there was overnight was turned to steam as soon as the sun started to warm it up. It always looks a bit strange seeing steam rising from my fence.

I don't have any big outdoor plans for today. I'll feed and water the critters, maybe pick up a few leaves to put in the box turtle yard, but then I think I'll just sit around and vegetate. I'll call Maggie in an hour or so and get her son's address.

Anybody have big Christmas Eve plans?
We'll be heading off in about an hour and a half to a village a couple of miles away to sing Christmas Carols.

We used to live in the village and every year everyone turns out in the village square to sing accompanied by a brass band with proceedings led by the parish vicar. It's great fun; lots of silly jumpers and hats (even the vicar).

We've done it every year for over 20 years now whatever the weather... somehow it's only rained for a couple of them! When the children were small, it was a good way to wind them down before bedtime!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
We'll be heading off in about an hour and a half to a village a couple of miles away to sing Christmas Carols.

We used to live in the village and every year everyone turns out in the village square to sing accompanied by a brass band with proceedings led by the parish vicar. It's great fun; lots of silly jumpers and hats (even the vicar).

We've done it every year for over 20 years now whatever the weather... somehow it's only rained for a couple of them! When the children were small, it was a good way to wind them down before bedtime!

PICTURES!! I want to see pictures of all those silly hats and jumpers!

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon

When I have packages that I can't ship from home I drive 25min to the next town over because the post office is so rural and small that it is never busy. The post office where I live has a really mean nasty lady behind the counter who always finds a way to make my experience unpleasant. The post office of my choosing is far more relaxed and the post master is very sweet.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
My town, Clovis, has a small town feel and is "western" oriented. Lots of cowboys and horses here. So we had a small post office sitting on a large plot of land. They finally got enough money to build a new building and tear down the old one. The new building is about three times larger than the old one. The old building, with its two clerks, was always busy. The new one with its 4 and sometimes 5 clerks is also always busy. Go figure.

We have several privately owned mail it, ship it stores, and I sometimes use them, but I found out when mailing T-shirts in the priority envelopes that the privately owned stores charge a fee over and above the postage.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
My village only has one part time person to run the post office and he actually rents the building to the postal service.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Maggie called me about noon to say there was some sort of train trouble and they're a couple hours behind schedule. She's expected in Fresno around 2p.

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
I hope she's traveling well, I know she said she wasn't excited. I've taken the Amtrak a couple times and it's not terrible. The one that runs from Spokane to Portland leaves at 1am so I just sleep in the seat and get off the train at 10am and I'm almost home.

Greyhound though. No. Just No. Only if I'm getting PAID. I went Spokane to Salinas once and that was enough.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
She had some sort of special ticket that gave her more space because she's a crotchety, feeble, infirm old lady.

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
Today I ran out to buy 3 things and ended up buying a lot more. It was hard to pass up stuff at 60% off.
The grocery store was a zoo but my express lane was fine.

Tonight we are headed to Filippi's for an Italian dinner but I'm sure it will end up just being pizza and wine.

I'm trying to clean up and get ready for tomorrow when the family shows up.

Our weather is cold and rainy!!
My sulcata hasn't been out much so I have been soaking him in the bath just for a change of scenery.

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1482615783.168978.jpg