Pretend Chat 2.14

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
Lunch at Lambert's, home of the tossed rolls.
20170307_104559.jpg Fried okra, one of the sides that they come around with. Also my tossed roll.
20170307_104626.jpg

Maggie, don't look. My lunch of beef liver and onions, cucumbers & onions and pickled beets. 20170307_105924.jpg

Attachments

• 20170307_104830.jpg
    20170307_104830.jpg
    1,009.1 KB · Views: 3

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
Now that I'm mostly caught up on 20 missed pages....hi, hello, I miss you guys. I've had some pretty terrible things happen to me in the last week at the hands of a malicious individual so I have been keeping my head low online because he has somehow figured out where I live and has escalated his attacks. It would be delightful to live in a city with more than 5 cops for 60,000 people. They have been nice about taking reports, but they keep telling me I need to do my own investigation and hand them what they want. =/ I just can't calm my anger or anxiety enough to get anything done around here.

The tortoises are well, at least I have that going for me.
I'm sorry this is happening to you. Is it the same person who was harassing you on etsy? Can you report him to IC3? https://www.ic3.gov/default.aspx
Can you give me the etsy name and/or real name of the individual so I make sure I don't do business with them?

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
After the tree guy left today I went up to Little Caesars (pizza, pizza!) and bought their new smokehouse pizza. It's b-b-q beef and pork. It wasn't bad, but I won't get it again. I ate three pieces and Misty had two pieces. The rest went into the garbage.

Will is coming next week-end to finish up the leopard pasture fence. Maybe if I work slowly enough on the aldabran fence fix I can Tom Sawyer him into finishing that little project too. Hm-m-m-m come to think of it, I may just have to work slowly on the rest of the leaves on the roof too.

Boy is my body tired! I wish I had a tub in my bathroom. . . but it just has a shower. I have never used anything in the Crystal Shining Bathroom but the toilet and sink. And I've cleaned the tiles in the tub area twice already (and I've lived here about 25 years). It's hard to tell guests to wipe down the tiles after their shower or bath. We have such hard water here that even one shower's worth left on the tiles leaves spots. It's hard work, but a product called Gel-Gloss does a decent job. And it leaves a shine that sort of repels water, but water still leaves spots if not dried off. There's a new product for automotive windshields that repels water. If I can remember it's name, I think I'll give that a try on my bathroom tile.
I couldn't live without a bathtub. I take a bath every night. My neighbor was so proud to show me that he got rid of his bathtub because "no one uses them anyway."

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
In order to conserve water I went to showering many years ago. I only turn on the water to get wet, then I turn it on again to wash the soap off. I only use a very small amount of water that way.

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
I'm sorry this is happening to you. Is it the same person who was harassing you on etsy? Can you report him to IC3? https://www.ic3.gov/default.aspx
Can you give me the etsy name and/or real name of the individual so I make sure I don't do business with them?

Nah, the lady on etsy was nuts, but she's also several states away. I am 97% sure I know how is behind the vandalism and it is a personal vendetta that I am honestly a blameless victim in. It'd be nice if he got a new hobby.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I took in another 'found' tortoise today. This one was found last summer walking along a rural highway with no houses nearby. He has a BIG fiberglass patch on his carapace. I put up an ad on Craigslist, but I fear it's been too long for his owners to still be watching the ads. Someone spent a lot of money to fix this guy. It's a shame if they don't see my ad.

2017 Rescue #8.jpg

Because they found him in the country, the people who found him didn't try to find his owner, but kept him and even allowed him to hibernate. Other than being VERY cold, he seems healthy enough, but not much meat on his bones. I only hope an infection isn't growing under that patch.

I just may decide to keep him a year or so to make sure he's going to be ok. (It takes infection a long time to grow in these situations)

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
I took in another 'found' tortoise today. This one was found last summer walking along a rural highway with no houses nearby. He has a BIG fiberglass patch on his carapace. I put up an ad on Craigslist, but I fear it's been too long for his owners to still be watching the ads. Someone spent a lot of money to fix this guy. It's a shame if they don't see my ad.

View attachment 201586

Because they found him in the country, the people who found him didn't try to find his owner, but kept him and even allowed him to hibernate. Other than being VERY cold, he seems healthy enough, but not much meat on his bones. I only hope an infection isn't growing under that patch.

I just may decide to keep him a year or so to make sure he's going to be ok. (It takes infection a long time to grow in these situations)

Awe, what a cutie!!
It's too bad they didn't try. They could have called different vets in the area because no vet could forget patching!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Awe, what a cutie!!
It's too bad they didn't try. They could have called different vets in the area because no vet could forget patching!

If I had a Reedley phone book, I could make some calls, but I don't have one. I'm going to go ask my friend, Google, and see what he can come up with.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Well, because Reedley is such a small town, there are only two vets there, and neither of them patched a tortoise. Damn. But it was a good suggestion.

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
Well, because Reedley is such a small town, there are only two vets there, and neither of them patched a tortoise. Damn. But it was a good suggestion.

It might not hurt to call some of the vets in Fresno and possibly the nearest vet colleges. If you need help rounding up numbers or email addresses let me know and I'll put some time into it.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
San Jose CA
Sorry for my bad vibes or bad thoughts,........How sure are we that the fiberglass on the back are not some sort of abuse?

If this poor thing received his/her "injury" from a dog bites or running over by a car, which is most common type of injuries nowadays, (unless it's from a plow, like one of your original gopher tortoise) , the injury shouldn't be right on the top/center. Is this transparent enough to see the "damaged/repaired " area?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
No, the patch is very thick. I wondered what could have happened too. Maybe something was dropped on the shell??? There is no injury on the plastron, so it wasn't a squished type thing.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
San Jose CA
No, the patch is very thick. I wondered what could have happened too. Maybe something was dropped on the shell??? There is no injury on the plastron, so it wasn't a squished type thing.
I hope it's not a case of abuse also.

So what a normal repair procedure goes?? after the injury healed? Can a vet remove the fiberglass patch? or this patch will be a permanent thing on the shell? can this fiberglass patch restrict the future growth of his/hers carapace? Or this is a adult already? Just wondering......