Pretend Chat 2.14

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
No, he has quite a bit of growing to do. It's old school to use fiberglass to patch broken shells. It is now thought that this sort of patch might trap germs inside. They use a less permanent solution now-a-days. This stuff is really stuck hard to the shell. If it weren't so tight, the shell underneath could keep growing and eventually the seal would be broken and the patch would come off, but I don't know if that can happen on this one. As I don't know how long it's been on there, I have no way of knowing if the injury has healed or not.

A few months ago I took in one that had been patched with Bondo. That was Bondo, James Bondo. I kept him. The bondo is slightly pliable and I've been able to pick at it, getting quite a bit off. But there's no picking at this fiberglass. It's hard as a rock and stuck tighter than a tick!

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
San Jose CA
Thanks Yvonne.

So....Best wishes to this little one. Happy living under your care! ! !:<3::<3:

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
No, he has quite a bit of growing to do. It's old school to use fiberglass to patch broken shells. It is now thought that this sort of patch might trap germs inside. They use a less permanent solution now-a-days. This stuff is really stuck hard to the shell. If it weren't so tight, the shell underneath could keep growing and eventually the seal would be broken and the patch would come off, but I don't know if that can happen on this one. As I don't know how long it's been on there, I have no way of knowing if the injury has healed or not.

A few months ago I took in one that had been patched with Bondo. That was Bondo, James Bondo. I kept him. The bondo is slightly pliable and I've been able to pick at it, getting quite a bit off. But there's no picking at this fiberglass. It's hard as a rock and stuck tighter than a tick!
I wonder if the fiberglass conducts heat differently than the original shell. Could it be preventing him getting as warm as he could?

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I took in another 'found' tortoise today. This one was found last summer walking along a rural highway with no houses nearby. He has a BIG fiberglass patch on his carapace. I put up an ad on Craigslist, but I fear it's been too long for his owners to still be watching the ads. Someone spent a lot of money to fix this guy. It's a shame if they don't see my ad.

View attachment 201586

Because they found him in the country, the people who found him didn't try to find his owner, but kept him and even allowed him to hibernate. Other than being VERY cold, he seems healthy enough, but not much meat on his bones. I only hope an infection isn't growing under that patch.

I just may decide to keep him a year or so to make sure he's going to be ok. (It takes infection a long time to grow in these situations)

How neat! I find those repair jobs interesting, never having gotten to see one hands on.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Sorry for my bad vibes or bad thoughts,........How sure are we that the fiberglass on the back are not some sort of abuse?

If this poor thing received his/her "injury" from a dog bites or running over by a car, which is most common type of injuries nowadays, (unless it's from a plow, like one of your original gopher tortoise) , the injury shouldn't be right on the top/center. Is this transparent enough to see the "damaged/repaired " area?

I had a box turtle who had appearantly a cow step on him. Wild turtle and the wound was old, but the damage looked exactly the shape for a hoof.

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
I hope it's not a case of abuse also.

So what a normal repair procedure goes?? after the injury healed? Can a vet remove the fiberglass patch? or this patch will be a permanent thing on the shell? can this fiberglass patch restrict the future growth of his/hers carapace? Or this is a adult already? Just wondering......

I was wondering if it would restrict his shell growth to Steven!

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego

Yes, the stupid kitty was up at 4am wanting to play and messing with the dog who growls at him!
I almost got up but decided to kick him out and try to go back to sleep.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I wonder if the fiberglass conducts heat differently than the original shell. Could it be preventing him getting as warm as he could?

That's a good question. I don't know. Yesterday I set him down under the light after I got his new home set up and when I went back in a few minutes to check on him he hadn't moved. I put my hand on his carapace and it was too hot for me to leave my hand there - way too hot. I moved him and raised the light. I can see how they get burned, if he couldn't feel that heat.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
That's a good question. I don't know. Yesterday I set him down under the light after I got his new home set up and when I went back in a few minutes to check on him he hadn't moved. I put my hand on his carapace and it was too hot for me to leave my hand there - way too hot. I moved him and raised the light. I can see how they get burned, if he couldn't feel that heat.

darn :(

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
Hi everyone:)
Some pics of the enclosures.
I've done some on Shelly's condo. Moe and Jays is left. I have to put the thermometer in Shelly's still and take it for a test spin before she's allowed to take residence. ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1489084703.293957.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1489084714.286828.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1489084725.013510.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1489084735.746443.jpg
The curtains are due in today

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
Final revisions to Shelly's condo. I'm finally happy with it.
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1489100693.506544.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1489100710.837544.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1489100737.986969.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1489100797.470363.jpg
Still waiting on the curtains:)

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
And now the work begin on Jay's..ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1489101889.104705.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1489101910.455624.jpg

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
I was thinking the fiberglass might actually get hotter than his shell.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
San Jose CA