Tom's response to "Garden State Tortoise" Video

Fluffy

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
West Virginia
I feel we're finally get some answers. I've always believed there is something to benefit by learning what is actually causing the problems and I definitely know more now then I did. I wish this forum was more friendly to these types of conversations but it's not. Lot's of knowledge here if we were more open.

Fluffy

10 Year Member!
West Virginia
I'd liken substrate to growing media instead of to soil or dirt - even with adding sand, I keep my substrates closer to a media than to trying to replicate soil. I wouldn't use yard dirt or even bagged top soil (actual top soil not bagged mixes that call themselves top soil) because of the weight and it can turn muddy.

I think a mostly soilless mix is a good starting point. For bioactive substrates ABG mixes or similar are common.
Do you personally use ABG mixes?

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
I feel we're finally get some answers. I've always believed there is something to benefit by learning what is actually causing the problems and I definitely know more now then I did. I wish this forum was more friendly to these types of conversations but it's not. Lot's of knowledge here if we were more open.
Right On 100%
This was a VERY good thread for all to share and air there info, ya really can't beat that.
The TFO is still one hell of a place to be!

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
Do you personally use ABG mixes?

I was making growing mixes before I'd heard of it so I don't follow it exactly. I play around with the quantities and include other items that aren't part of the original recipe.