UVB

kaitiejane

Also, I've been looking for a new uvb light, I already have a heat light. So I'm looking mainly for just uvb. Can anyone post links to good uvb lights

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
UVB florescent lighting is reliable and generally inexpensive. What are your enclosures diameters. For example, on my 24" x 24" x 10" baby enclosure I have an 18" fixture with a 5.0 UVB.

kaitiejane

UVB. Will my tortoise be okay with out one on for a few days until I can get a new one?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The two best options are a mercury vapor bulb which gives you heat, light and UV all in one, or one of the florescent tube types. To pick a florescent tube for you, we'd need to know how far away from the tortoise you intend to mount the bulb and what species you will be using this over.

kaitiejane

It would be 12in away from the tortoise. I have a 3 month old Ibera Greek tortoise.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
It would be 12in away from the tortoise. I have a 3 month old Ibera Greek tortoise.

You could use a 10.0 tube. I would get one that is near the same length as your enclosure and put it on the same timer that runs your basking lamp. These don't make a lot of UV so its fine to use it all day. Be sure your tortoise has plenty of hides so he/she can get out of the "sun" when needed.

kaitiejane

Would he be okay for a few days with out uvb. I can't get a new on until Friday

lovesulcata

Indonesia, Jakarta
The two best options are a mercury vapor bulb which gives you heat, light and UV all in one, or one of the florescent tube types. To pick a florescent tube for you, we'd need to know how far away from the tortoise you intend to mount the bulb and what species you will be using this over.
Hey tom, What about these uvb?? for sulcata baby. And should i use 25 watt or 13 watt?IMG_1297.pngIMG_1296.png

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hey tom, What about these uvb?? for sulcata baby. And should i use 25 watt or 13 watt?View attachment 379541View attachment 379542
This thread is almost 10 years old. Those types of bulbs are ineffective UV sources, and they sometimes burn reptile eyes. They should not be used.

You shouldn't need a UV bulb in your climate. You can take the tortoise outside several times a week into a safe enclosure and it can get real sunshine.

All of this and more is explained here:

Jimmy1

NYC
HI! Sorry to hijack the post, but figured I could ask here instead of creating a new post on the same topic.

I'm using one of Mark's enclosure and its been well over six months and I'm looking to replace a UVB bulb.

Its a lamp fixture that holds a 22" bulb. I'm looking online and I see a 10.0 UVB and 5.0UVB.

Considering I have an indian star tortoise, is there a difference between these two I should use before deciding what to buy ?

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
HI! Sorry to hijack the post, but figured I could ask here instead of creating a new post on the same topic.

I'm using one of Mark's enclosure and its been well over six months and I'm looking to replace a UVB bulb.

Its a lamp fixture that holds a 22" bulb. I'm looking online and I see a 10.0 UVB and 5.0UVB.

Considering I have an indian star tortoise, is there a difference between these two I should use before deciding what to buy ?
The only uv brands I’d recommend you go for(cheaper options aren’t reliable) is zoomed reptisun 10.0 or Arcadia t5 12%, only problem is I’m not sure if the smallest they both do is 24”, have a look though I could be wrong, I don’t use the reptisun one so maybe that one is shorter

Jimmy1

NYC
The only uv brands I’d recommend you go for(cheaper options aren’t reliable) is zoomed reptisun 10.0 or Arcadia t5 12%, only problem is I’m not sure if the smallest they both do is 24”, have a look though I could be wrong, I don’t use the reptisun one so maybe that one is shorter
Got it, the petco near me has a Zoo Med ReptiSun 10.0 HO T5 UVB Lamp, 22" L, 24 Watts

lovesulcata

Indonesia, Jakarta
This thread is almost 10 years old. Those types of bulbs are ineffective UV sources, and they sometimes burn reptile eyes. They should not be used.

You shouldn't need a UV bulb in your climate. You can take the tortoise outside several times a week into a safe enclosure and it can get real sunshine.

All of this and more is explained here:
Actually I don't want to use a uvb lamp, However, this week and last week, the sun rarely appears so they only get sun 3 times a week, but I still soak them every day. I'm afraid they will get mbd so I want to buy a uvb lamp. But I give them pellets containing calcium d3 for their shells, can that help? and I soak them by dripping hydrobozz in the soak

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Actually I don't want to use a uvb lamp, However, this week and last week, the sun rarely appears so they only get sun 3 times a week, but I still soak them every day. I'm afraid they will get mbd so I want to buy a uvb lamp. But I give them pellets containing calcium d3 for their shells, can that help? and I soak them by dripping hydrobozz in the soak
How many torts do you have and are they housed together? The d3 in the pellets or any other food in their diet gets metabolised by the uv, it won’t work without it🙂recommend uv to go for is zoo med reptisun 10.0 or Arcadia prot5 12%, cheaper brands aren’t reliable.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The d3 in the pellets or any other food in their diet gets metabolised by the uv, it won’t work without it...
This is not correct. UV doesn't metabolize anything. UBV of the correct spectrum allows the tortoise to convert D2 into D3. If D3 is taken in orally, no further conversion is needed for it to do its work in assisting the body with calcium assimilation.