introductions

Status
Not open for further replies.

aznewmom

5 Year Member
RE: Welcome to TortoiseForum.org !

Hi again Dan. I know where Lakewood is located. I grew up in Seal Beach, went to Huntington High, and graduated from CSULB, just down the road from you. I also worked in Bellflower for many years.
Yes, Tucson is nice and warm.......getting downright hot......now. Rico would love it, I'm sure. We take him out for 'walks' right now. Since he is still so young, he has an indoor enclosure. We will need to plan and build an outdoor one for him in the near future. The vet we took him to last year said the indoor set up we had was okay for now since he was so small. I'm guessing that by next summer he will need to be outdoors.
Good to "meet" you.

Hi Sarah and welcome. I'm Stacy and have been here for nearly a year.
Cheers,
Stacy

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
SoCal

aznewmom said:
Hi again Dan. I know where Lakewood is located. I grew up in Seal Beach, went to Huntington High, and graduated from CSULB, just down the road from you. I also worked in Bellflower for many years.
Yes, Tucson is nice and warm.......getting downright hot......now. Rico would love it, I'm sure. We take him out for 'walks' right now. Since he is still so young, he has an indoor enclosure. We will need to plan and build an outdoor one for him in the near future. The vet we took him to last year said the indoor set up we had was okay for now since he was so small. I'm guessing that by next summer he will need to be outdoors.
Good to "meet" you.

Hi Sarah and welcome. I'm Stacy and have been here for nearly a year.
Cheers,
Stacy

Welcome Dan! Good to have another SoCal inhabitant here! I was born in LA, grew up in Pasadena and lived in Rowland Heights and Seal Beach, before moving to San Diego (to work at the zoo), then to West Palm Beach, FL (to work at Lion Country Safari) then back here to SoCal to work for Animal Services. Small world...eh Stacy? Yeah! They closed down the Seal Beach Market in favor of a Golf Supply a coupla years back!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

pixychick said:
Hi there i have two gorgeous Horsfields Shimba and Yoda.....unfortunately Yoda had been fed soley on pellet food before i got him so i could do with some tips on how to wean him off them and onto fresh food

Hi Pixychick:

Welcome to the forum!!

If you'll post your weaning question on the Russian forum, you'll get more responses.

aalur

5 Year Member
East Sussex, UK

Hi :)
My name is Laura, I'm from England, UK.
I don't yet have a tortoise, i am doing my research into which tortoise breed i should get, and trying to learn as much as i can before i get one.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

Hi Laura:

We have a few members who live in the U.K. and we'll be more than happy to help you choose a tortoise. Please feel free to look around through all the archived posts and ask questions!

Welcome to the forum!!

aalur

5 Year Member
East Sussex, UK

Hi, thanks :) will do, i shall be doing lots of reading and probably asking lots of silly questions. I have very little knowledge of tortoises, so am eager to learn a lot! :)

Electronica

5 Year Member

Hello everyone!! My name is Luke, and I have a lovely 3 year old Red Foot Tortoise named Lilly, as well as four cats Quagmire, Buddy, Luna, and Pizz. And a wonderful partner named Dale. Glad to have found this site, and will be checking it often!!
Sincerely,
Luke, Chicago, IL

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Ha! Quagmire. Giggity giggity...

Welcome Luke.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

Hi Luke:

Welcome to the forum!!

Electronica

5 Year Member

Tom said:
Ha! Quagmire. Giggity giggity...

Welcome Luke.

Haha! Thanks, and yes that is why his name is Quagmire. He is an old grandpa cat and has a giant head and jawline, just like Quagmire from Family Guy. We sing the Quagmire song to him frequently;-)

emysemys said:
Hi Luke:

Welcome to the forum!!

Hello, and thank you, glad to be here!

myrtle651

10 Year Member!
NYC

Josh said:
Welcome to TortoiseForum.org. We strive to be the leader in tortoise (and turtle) discussions on the web, covering all topics as they are related to everything from the Cryptodira suborder (thats a fancy way of saying tortoises). Our forums allow for in-depth and specific discussions which can be read by tortoise enthusiasts worldwide!

Register Now (it's free!)

I am Josh. I am the site admin/moderator/what-have-you. I love learning about tortoises and currently care for 2 desert tortoise hatchlings.
Please use this space to introduce yourself (and your tortoises).

I am kevin and have been reading up on tortoises for about 2 months now. I finally decide to own one. I have not received my leopord tortoises yet! Should have them on 6/8 I am all ready to go with my plastic storage bin. I have evevything set up. I am sure I will be having some question this week.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

Hi Kevin:

Welcome to the forum!! Can't wait to see pictures of your new tortoises.

Cookie Girl

5 Year Member

Hello tortoise lovers everywhere, I am new to this site and I am a new owner of 2 Hermann tortoise's, a boy called Hermann( 4 years old )and a girl called Morticia ( 2 years old ). I hope to find out a lot about my new additons from this site. :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

Hi Cookie Girl!

A fan of the Munsters, huh? Welcome to the forum!!

L

Lovemyboxies

I think I need a new home for my Russian Tortoise. I live in Houston, Texas. I have had 10 box turtles over the past 10 years in a nice and large enclosure in my back yard (1 Gulf Coast, 3 Ornates, 3 Easterns and 3 three-toed boxies). My friend recently found a Russian Tortoise crossing a busy road and brought it to me. I did a little research and planted a bunch of the plants it eats and it has really enjoyed munchinging on everything. I read that you shouldn't put them in the same enclosure because boxies and tortoises don't come from the same environment and bacteria that can be tollerated by one species may not be tollerated by the other. While I just love the little guy/girl, I'm concerned. If anyone lives in Houston and has a great habitat for the little guy/girl, please let me know or let me know and I will happily adopt it to you. If you think they can all cohabitate together and can tell me how, please do. I don't want to keep any of them indoors because I believe it is healthier to keep them outdoors. My boxies are very healthy and have many clutches of eggs that hatch each September. Thanks for any advice you can give. [/size][/font]

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

Hi "Lovemyboxies:"

Have you thought about separating the pen? Its easy enough to put up some sort of divider to keep the Russian out of the box turtle pen. Another thing besides the "germs" is type of habitat required. The tortoise needs a much drier and sunnier habitat, while the box turtles like moisture and shade.

Welcome to the forum!!

L

Lovemyboxies

Thanks for the advice. I just may try that instead of giving the little guy away. He/she is so sweet and a HUGE eater. I planted so many things in the pen and every time I go out there, he/she is pigging out. Its skin is kind of peeling on its neck. Do you know why that might be? Obviously, this was someone's pet that got loose. I'm thinking it is some sort of vitamin deficiency.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

No, peeling skin is quite common in Russians and desert tortoises. Nothing wrong. Its quite ok. Just don't pick at it.

Durgesh Nandini

5 Year Member

Hello,
How do I start a new discussion. I need to ask people about any good vet in Delhi India. My tortoise is in a bad condition.

Treebon

5 Year Member
Boston

Hello everyone I figured I would properly introduce myself on here since I did not see this thread earlier. My name is Nick and I just bought a new Russian Tortoise 3 days ago after researching how to take care of one for about a month. He seems a little stressed from the move still, but is starting to become more active. I haven't named him yet as I am waiting for something to come up organically, but I love having him around.

He came from a pet store and was probably WC, but hopefully his vet appointment brings nothing but good news. He is about 6-7 inches long and has all the sings of a healthy tortoise: clear eyes, no bubbles in the nose, solid poop etc. I should have some pics of him up soon. Since he seems to be taking a while to adjust to his new home I haven't wanted to put him through a photoshoot just yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.