Jacques, the Eastern Mud Turtle

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
Ever since Jacques' near drowning back in December, I have been obsessed with keeping her safe and NOT getting trapped under anything where she could drown again. That's been the main reason I've had trouble figuring out a basking platform for her- although it looks like the stack of bricks should work! :)

She got my adrenalin going again this morning, whether she actually MEANT to or not!!!!
A while back I put a sponge on the bottom of the pump intake because it kept sucking up the ghost shrimp. This morning I found Jacques wedged underneath the sponge and the bottom of the tank. Since I'm keeping the tank bare-bottomed right now, the glass bottom is slick, of course, so it's hard to get any traction on it. It looked like she was struggling to get out from under the sponge, so I reached in and pushed her through from the back. She just sat there looking at me. o_O
A little while later, there she was AGAIN: :eek: wedged between the sponge and the bottom of the tank!!! But this time I noticed she was sort shimmying from side to side and realized she was SCRATCHING HER BACK!!!!!!!! :confused:
As soon as she saw me grab my camera, of course, she stopped and just looked up at me...:rolleyes:

Jacques: "Whut?.....I'm scratching my back, Ma!!!!! Get a life!!!!!!"

View attachment 236931

[emoji23]You can’t win, can you! :D

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Ever since Jacques' near drowning back in December, I have been obsessed with keeping her safe and NOT getting trapped under anything where she could drown again. That's been the main reason I've had trouble figuring out a basking platform for her- although it looks like the stack of bricks should work! :)

She got my adrenalin going again this morning, whether she actually MEANT to or not!!!!
A while back I put a sponge on the bottom of the pump intake because it kept sucking up the ghost shrimp. This morning I found Jacques wedged underneath the sponge and the bottom of the tank. Since I'm keeping the tank bare-bottomed right now, the glass bottom is slick, of course, so it's hard to get any traction on it. It looked like she was struggling to get out from under the sponge, so I reached in and pushed her through from the back. She just sat there looking at me. o_O
A little while later, there she was AGAIN: :eek: wedged between the sponge and the bottom of the tank!!! But this time I noticed she was sort shimmying from side to side and realized she was SCRATCHING HER BACK!!!!!!!! :confused:
As soon as she saw me grab my camera, of course, she stopped and just looked up at me...:rolleyes:

Jacques: "Whut?.....I'm scratching my back, Ma!!!!! Get a life!!!!!!"

View attachment 236931
Whahaha. Naughty naughty Jacques.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Petco has the $1 per gallon sale on right now, i just got an email about it.
Jacques is very unsettled about the bricks and is hiding in the back where it’s hard to get photos of her.
I can really see what the experienced turtle keepers have said: turtles are slow to adjust to changes. [emoji51]
Her current tank is a 20 gal long, which is really too small. She struggles to get past the bricks to the other end of the tank because of the space they take.
I better get to work on her 40 gal breeder!!! [emoji2][emoji106]

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Update: I just looked it up and the $1 per gallon sale is only up to 30 gallons but the 40 gallon breeder is 50% off

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Update: I just looked it up and the $1 per gallon sale is only up to 30 gallons but the 40 gallon breeder is 50% off

I got my 40 gal breeder at one of PetCo’s sales right before Christmas!
Thanks fo much for thinking of me![emoji2][emoji173]️

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
I am working on transitioning Jacques AWAY from salmon and onto healthier turtle kibble.
She's not making it easy...:confused:

Jacques: "What is this supposed to be?"
Me: "Those are Sinking Carnivore Wafers- You ate those all the time when you were little! Remember how good they are?"
Jacques: "I don't remember ever eating these things..."

IMG_9678.JPG

Me: "Look, if you don't want the carnivore wafers, try these enriched Koi Kibbles- they're made with SALMON!!! You'll like that!"
Jacques: "I don't see anything that looks like salmon..."
IMG_9703.JPG

Me: "Oh, come on-give them a try..."
Jacques: "But I"ve looked around...Nope...don't see anything here..."

fullsizeoutput_899.jpeg

Jacques: "I'm so depressed...my mom won't feed me...."
Me: (rolls eyes...)

fullsizeoutput_898.jpeg

SteveW

I am working on transitioning Jacques AWAY from salmon and onto healthier turtle kibble.

Me: "Those are Sinking Carnivore Wafers- You ate those all the time when you were little! Remember how good they are?"

View attachment 237313

Me: "Look, if you don't want the carnivore wafers, try these enriched Koi Kibbles- they're made with SALMON!!! You'll like that!"
View attachment 237314

View attachment 237315

View attachment 237316

Maybe try a small piece of salmon first, to ‘prime the pump’. Sometimes once they get in feeding mode, they don’t overthink the options.

Kristoff

5 Year Member
Ottawa, Ontario

View attachment 237313

View attachment 237314

View attachment 237315

View attachment 237316

I had a nearly identical conversation with daughter at dinner table today! :eek: :D

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town

View attachment 237313

View attachment 237314

View attachment 237315

View attachment 237316
Love the pictures. Always enjoy Hacques stories.