EmW

Location (City and/or State)
London
Firstly, thank you in advance for reading my post, I know it's long!

Just a bit of background before I ask my questions. My family has had our marginated girl, Nelly, for about 44 years and she was fully grown when they got her. She was given to my mum when she was a young child so Nelly is quite a bit older than me! She lives outside in the garden and hibernates every year. She didn't hibernate in 2019 due to needing surgery to remove her ovaries after a malformed egg caused a prolapse but she recovered very well. She has lived with my Granny up to this point but Nelly has recently gotten sick and it has become apparent that my Granny is no longer able to give her the care and attention she needs. Unfortunately my family haven't really looked into tortoise care and I feel that her diet up until now hasn't been the best (mostly lettuce, cucumber, strawberries and dandelions). I think this is probably what they were told to give her when they got her many years ago and whenever I try to talk about it they says "well she's been fine for 44 years!". I have just bought a variety of tortoise friendly plants from a few tortoise websites and will also start to plant things for her and will work hard to get more variety in her diet.

She is sick with a respiratory infection at the moment and this means she will not be able to hibernate this year so I will need to keep her indoors over the Autumn/winter months, She is currently on antibiotic injections and has been having weekly trips to the vet. About 2 weeks ago they kept her in for 5 days to syringe feed her. They took an x-ray and bloods and found that her kidney and liver function was good but she was dehydrated and had an infection. She is still not eating properly but luckily has started to eat a little bit. I soak her every day and have been alternating between adding Reptoboost and Exo Terra Electrolyte supplement drops to the water. She is now well hydrated and has gained back a good amount of weight, which the vet seemed very positive about, but she is still not herself and is still not eating properly.

I will now be taking Nelly in and caring for her. I am currently in the process of building an indoor set up for her over the winter until it is warm enough for her to go back outside and then hibernate again once healthy. She is a big girl and after researching online it looked like a tortoise table was a better choice than a vivarium. My dad is building a large one at the moment and I'm hoping it will soon be ready. I'm really trying to educate myself and provide her the best care I can. There is so much conflicting information out there though, and most is for other breeds or tortoise, and I'm finding it confusing and stressful trying to figure out the right things I need to get.

Question 1 - Substrate :
I've been trying to research the best substrate to use and was advised by the vet to use coconut coir. I was also told it shouldn't be fine or be big chunks but in between however I can't find that. I've ordered some online and made it up but it feels and measures (using a hygrometer) to be too humid (its at about 80% or higher and online its says she needs 60 - 70% humidity). Also, when it dries out a bit it doesn't pack down well and I think it might not be great when she walks over it. Does anyone have any advice on this? I though about mixing it but i've seen that sand is a no no due to impaction and topsoil might contain toxic plants and other things.

Question 2- Tortoise food :
I know fruit isn't advisable to give her but it is literally the only thing she is willing to eat at the moment. I've been cutting strawberries into quarters and wrapping dandelion and plantain around then as its the only way to get her to eat them. The vet recommended adding some dry tortoise food and I was thinking I could mash some strawberry into it as a way to encourage her to eat it but I'm not sure which would be best for marginated tortoises. They all seem to contain lucerne ,which the tortoise table plant database says should not be fed to tortoises. Can anyone recommend a good dried food for marginated tortoises?

Question 3 Lighting/heat:
I have a 100W D3 Arcadia Basking lamp which provides UVA UVB and Infrared heat. At the moment she is just sitting under the lamp and sleeping all day and barely moving. We had a couple warmer and sunnier days at the weekend and when she is outside she walks around and seems so much happier but it is not too cold and cloudy for her to be outside. I'm wondering if this type of lamp is the most suitable of it its better to get separate heat and light sources. I've seen the UV tube lights and CHE. I have bought a 50W CHE and a thermostat plug for when winter comes and the temperature is colder but i'm also worried about the fire risk they pose. Please can anyone advise me on the best heat/ light set up.

Question 4: I've noticed that her shell has developed some dark lines of what I'm assuming is new growth since a few years ago. The vet didn't mention anything about this but is that normal or something I should be concerned about? I have attached before and after pictures

Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm new to all this and am trying my hardest to do what's best but feeling more than a little overwhelmed at the moment. I just want my Nelly to be happy and healthy!

Attachments

• Before (August 2020).jpg
    Before (August 2020).jpg
    930.5 KB · Views: 5
  • After (October 2023).png
    After (October 2023).png
    679 KB · Views: 5

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Welcome to the forum.
Please forgive me. But I don't have the time at the moment to give you the quality or quantity that your questions deserve.
What I need to point out is that the fruit needs to stop. A hungry tortoise will eat what you give it. Trust me.
When a tortoise is ill. Fruit can cause serious issues with gut flora and parasites. Aside from the fact that your tortoise is incapable of processing sugars.
Fruit can be dangerous with even species that CAN eat fruit. When they are ill.
Please give this a read. Many members will be along soon.

EmW

London
Welcome to the forum.
Please forgive me. But I don't have the time at the moment to give you the quality or quantity that your questions deserve.
What I need to point out is that the fruit needs to stop. A hungry tortoise will eat what you give it. Trust me.
When a tortoise is ill. Fruit can cause serious issues with gut flora and parasites. Aside from the fact that your tortoise is incapable of processing sugars.
Fruit can be dangerous with even species that CAN eat fruit. When they are ill.
Please give this a read. Many members will be along soon.
Thank you so much for your reply and the link. I have given it a read and I think it answers most of my questions. I'll look to get some orchid bark for the substrate and will buy some different lighting as the post says the all in one bulbs are no good.

I did originally stop the fruit but she literally would not eat for over a week after already not eating properly for a few weeks (which I didn't know at the time) and then needed to be hospitalised to be syringe fed. The vet also gave her some fruit so I started again, thinking if the vet gave it to her it must be okay, and she started eating. I will stop giving her fruit now though. I have another appointment at the vets in about 5 days. I'm hoping if she stops eating completely again that she will be okay till they can give her another syringe feed there. I suppose the reptoboost will give her some energy though and daily soaks will keep her hydrated. Maybe she is just being stubborn with the food.

Again, thank you for taking the time to reply and offering me some advice. It is very much appreciated.

p.s. Happy Birthday!

EmW

London
So I have some good news. After I bathed her in the reptoboost this morning and then put he under her heat/UV lamp I offered her a large selection of weeds and plants, a piece of romaine lettuce and a couple slices of cucumber. She ate 2 dandelion leaves, a few slices of cucumber and about half a leaf of romaine. This is more than she has eaten in one go in probably over a month. I know that romaine and cucumber aren't the best for them either but this is what my family have fed her on for over 40 years so it is going to take some time to get her into more of a variety of weeds and plants. I will persevere and I will keep trying no matter how many times she refuses the new stuff. I am determined to get this girl onto a better diet.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
She is lovely. Have you tried her with Mazuri?

Reactions: EmW

SuzanneZ

Georgetown
Firstly, thank you in advance for reading my post, I know it's long!

Just a bit of background before I ask my questions. My family has had our marginated girl, Nelly, for about 44 years and she was fully grown when they got her. She was given to my mum when she was a young child so Nelly is quite a bit older than me! She lives outside in the garden and hibernates every year. She didn't hibernate in 2019 due to needing surgery to remove her ovaries after a malformed egg caused a prolapse but she recovered very well. She has lived with my Granny up to this point but Nelly has recently gotten sick and it has become apparent that my Granny is no longer able to give her the care and attention she needs. Unfortunately my family haven't really looked into tortoise care and I feel that her diet up until now hasn't been the best (mostly lettuce, cucumber, strawberries and dandelions). I think this is probably what they were told to give her when they got her many years ago and whenever I try to talk about it they says "well she's been fine for 44 years!". I have just bought a variety of tortoise friendly plants from a few tortoise websites and will also start to plant things for her and will work hard to get more variety in her diet.

She is sick with a respiratory infection at the moment and this means she will not be able to hibernate this year so I will need to keep her indoors over the Autumn/winter months, She is currently on antibiotic injections and has been having weekly trips to the vet. About 2 weeks ago they kept her in for 5 days to syringe feed her. They took an x-ray and bloods and found that her kidney and liver function was good but she was dehydrated and had an infection. She is still not eating properly but luckily has started to eat a little bit. I soak her every day and have been alternating between adding Reptoboost and Exo Terra Electrolyte supplement drops to the water. She is now well hydrated and has gained back a good amount of weight, which the vet seemed very positive about, but she is still not herself and is still not eating properly.

I will now be taking Nelly in and caring for her. I am currently in the process of building an indoor set up for her over the winter until it is warm enough for her to go back outside and then hibernate again once healthy. She is a big girl and after researching online it looked like a tortoise table was a better choice than a vivarium. My dad is building a large one at the moment and I'm hoping it will soon be ready. I'm really trying to educate myself and provide her the best care I can. There is so much conflicting information out there though, and most is for other breeds or tortoise, and I'm finding it confusing and stressful trying to figure out the right things I need to get.

Question 1 - Substrate :
I've been trying to research the best substrate to use and was advised by the vet to use coconut coir. I was also told it shouldn't be fine or be big chunks but in between however I can't find that. I've ordered some online and made it up but it feels and measures (using a hygrometer) to be too humid (its at about 80% or higher and online its says she needs 60 - 70% humidity). Also, when it dries out a bit it doesn't pack down well and I think it might not be great when she walks over it. Does anyone have any advice on this? I though about mixing it but i've seen that sand is a no no due to impaction and topsoil might contain toxic plants and other things.

Question 2- Tortoise food :
I know fruit isn't advisable to give her but it is literally the only thing she is willing to eat at the moment. I've been cutting strawberries into quarters and wrapping dandelion and plantain around then as its the only way to get her to eat them. The vet recommended adding some dry tortoise food and I was thinking I could mash some strawberry into it as a way to encourage her to eat it but I'm not sure which would be best for marginated tortoises. They all seem to contain lucerne ,which the tortoise table plant database says should not be fed to tortoises. Can anyone recommend a good dried food for marginated tortoises?

Question 3 Lighting/heat:
I have a 100W D3 Arcadia Basking lamp which provides UVA UVB and Infrared heat. At the moment she is just sitting under the lamp and sleeping all day and barely moving. We had a couple warmer and sunnier days at the weekend and when she is outside she walks around and seems so much happier but it is not too cold and cloudy for her to be outside. I'm wondering if this type of lamp is the most suitable of it its better to get separate heat and light sources. I've seen the UV tube lights and CHE. I have bought a 50W CHE and a thermostat plug for when winter comes and the temperature is colder but i'm also worried about the fire risk they pose. Please can anyone advise me on the best heat/ light set up.

Question 4: I've noticed that her shell has developed some dark lines of what I'm assuming is new growth since a few years ago. The vet didn't mention anything about this but is that normal or something I should be concerned about? I have attached before and after pictures

Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm new to all this and am trying my hardest to do what's best but feeling more than a little overwhelmed at the moment. I just want my Nelly to be happy and healthy!
Love your Nelly, your story, and that you've taken this on. I believe by living in the garden she's supplemented her given diet with many extras.

EmW

London
She is lovely. Have you tried her with Mazuri?
Hi Tammy,

No I haven't. I've just ordered some tortoise food which will arrive tomorrow (Komodo complete), which I ordered for the speed of delivery. I've heard Mazuri mentioned in a couple posts so I will try to see if I can get it in the UK. I've seen that Tom has recommended ZooMed food in the post that Zeropilot has linked. I will try a try to order both and then see what she prefers.

Thanks for your reply!

EmW

London
Love your Nelly, your story, and that you've taken this on. I believe by living in the garden she's supplemented her given diet with many extras.
Hi Suzanne,

Thank you! Yes, hopefully she has been able to get some weeds in her diet from the garden. I think mostly dandelions grow in my Granny's Garden.

When it gets warm enough for her to be in our garden, I plan to create an area for her and sow a mixture of tortoise friendly weeds and plants into the grass so she can had lots of fresh and nutritious food to munch on. I have already started buying seeds and can't wait to be able to get her back outside where she is happiest.