Pretend Chat 2.14

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I have an old pick axe with a wooden handle and the head comes off. So I pounded it back on then placed it in a bucket of water so the wood would swell. Now what should I do to keep that wood from shrinking again?

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
Way too much thunder around here for me!! It's hot and humid too!
I ran in while watering down tort pens! Rain is on the way soon!
It rained a bit last night!

I also just spent 30 minutes looking for my cat! I thought he got out but he was curled up in the corner of our closet sound to sleep!

Something touched my butt while I was having my morning coffee and guess who it was?

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1501621712.508476.jpg

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
I have an old pick axe with a wooden handle and the head comes off. So I pounded it back on then placed it in a bucket of water so the wood would swell. Now what should I do to keep that wood from shrinking again?
It's going to shrink...

You can drive some nails or screws into the top of the Handel so it splits the wood and makes it hold tighter to the axe

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
It's going to shrink...

You can drive some nails or screws into the top of the Handel so it splits the wood and makes it hold tighter to the axe

Beat me to it, see if you can find something to wedge into the top to keep it tight.

Also re: toilet, I might just be more vertically challenged than most, public toilets also make me feel like a hobbit in most cases.

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
They make metal wedges specially for that but not many places sell them anymore. They want to you to buy a replacement handle or replacement axe

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
i just heard from a family friend that they may be looking for a new home for their desert tortoise, 'Paulina'. if i adopt paulina what are warning signs i should look for? i'm not entirely sure what her life has been like thus far. are there any tell tale signs of sickness or depression etc etc?
thanks in advance!
Put a metal wedge in the end . You can buy them when you pickup you crapper seat .

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Another simple way to help wood from drying out and shrinking is applying linseed oil,

Ok, thanks. I don't use that tool very often, so that will be a good way to ensure it's available next time I need it.

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
Nice cool treat in the 100 degree shade. I'm a little nervous about leaving them for the week with my boyfriend, but he's promised to keep them upright and watered.
1501649889027.jpg