Jacky And Daisy

zolasmum

5 Year Member
She came out late morning today had a warm bath & sat in the sun. Didn’t want to eat anything except a small piece of cherry then had a wander. Had to get her back out of her box again later when it warmed up & she ate a bit more with Pete holding the food to her mouth. It’s this that bothers me, why she doesn’t make the effort to eat herself. Anyway think the weather’s going to warm up a bit so that might help.
Angie do you think the swallows have already flown to Africa? Did read they usually go in September so maybe that’s another sign of a change in the seasonal pattern, perhaps the same thing affecting Dickie & some other outside torts at the moment.
I hadn't thought about that before, but it could be the case. When Richard was out with Zola this afternoon, a lady asked him if he had any idea why her 20 year old tortoise seemed to have gone off her food - she had taken her to the vet, but nothing seemed wrong. She lives in Yorkshire. He said it seemed to be happening with quite a few tortoises, but as Zola doesn't hibernate, we haven't seen a difference in his behaviour. It would be reassuring if it was a general pattern, wouldn't it?
Angie

MoggyMad

Location (City and/or State)
Northamptonshire
I hadn't thought about that before, but it could be the case. When Richard was out with Zola this afternoon, a lady asked him if he had any idea why her 20 year old tortoise seemed to have gone off her food - she had taken her to the vet, but nothing seemed wrong. She lives in Yorkshire. He said it seemed to be happening with quite a few tortoises, but as Zola doesn't hibernate, we haven't seen a difference in his behaviour. It would be reassuring if it was a general pattern, wouldn't it?
Angie
Yes thanks Angie we have heard of a few who are described as ‘confused’!

MaNaAk

Southend
Good evening everyone!

Sorry this is late. That's a lovely photo Zola but I think those swallows will be back next year. Sue I don't think you have anything to worry about because another friend has admitted that her tortoises are slowing down and eating less. I am going to make an appointment at the vets for another checkup for Jacky because she is trying to resist eating most of the time but I am keeping her weight up because last time the vet said her weight was lower than last year. Once I am satisfied that Jacky's weight is okay I will start to withdraw her food once it gets colder.

Goodnight everyone

Natrah, Jacky and Angel Daisy

PS: Good luck tomorrow Dickie.

PPS: Jacky says don't forget to shove the vet or make a mess and she also says to try some bathroom scales!

Last edited:

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Hello Natrah -we have had some very unpleasant weather this week -heavy rain at times, and my mum had to put the central heating on because it was really cold. My dad has been doing a lot of garden things - mostly involving brambles which have scratched him very viciously. Do you know of any really strong gloves which would protect him - they say "thorn resistant', but that isn't enough ?
It was sunny this afternoon, so we went to look at Tamar Lake, which is very close - no time to go to the breakwater. Maybe tomorrow will be better.
Love to you,Jacky and Angel Daisy, and to all my forum friends from Zola xxxxxxxxxx
and Angie xxxxxxx

MaNaAk

Southend
Hello Natrah -we have had some very unpleasant weather this week -heavy rain at times, and my mum had to put the central heating on because it was really cold. My dad has been doing a lot of garden things - mostly involving brambles which have scratched him very viciously. Do you know of any really strong gloves which would protect him - they say "thorn resistant', but that isn't enough ?
It was sunny this afternoon, so we went to look at Tamar Lake, which is very close - no time to go to the breakwater. Maybe tomorrow will be better.
Love to you,Jacky and Angel Daisy, and to all my forum friends from Zola xxxxxxxxxx
and Angie xxxxxxx
Good evening everyone!

Sue I was wondering how Dickie got on at the vets and whether it is hibernation? Hope Dickie's okay. Zola we've had some sunny days here and it was quite warm today. Jacky was very active after her soak (crawling everywhere and eating) however this evening seems to be quite a bit colder so I don't how she'll be tomorrow. I'm considering another checkup at the vets within the next couple of weeks. The vet said that her next appointment is October but she could be well into hibernation by then!

I remember my gloves which I bought from Wilko's is good enough for the thistles although I still have to be careful. However dad had a pair of very stout gloves which he may have bought from Texas Homecare. I hope it is warmer tomorrow and I hope your mum's okay.

Sue how is Sherman these days? Is Pete going to do some work in his enclosure? I'm sure Sherman would love that? Edward I hope you and your servant are okay.

Goodnight everyone

Natrah, Jacky and Angel Daisy